Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn with undescended testicle
Previous  1  2  3

Aribenj

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Aribenj wrote:
My youngest had it when he was born. And now B'H it's back where it belongs.

Dh had that issue when he was a baby and his never came down on their own and when he was 5 he had to have surgery. But B'H it never affected his fertility.

I am the amother with the 4 year old. Why didnt they operate on your husband until 5? I wonder if it is in my husband's family but I am not exactly going to call up my MIL or SILs and ask embarrassed

I don't know... Maybe it was a different time, different place, different medical protocol and procedures...
But I think most likely, his grandfather being a doctor himself, they were probably in denial...

amother

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 12:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
My son had this too & had surgery at 16 mo. That was when our urologist felt was optimum in his case. We also gave him hormones to help it descend. The sugeon got the testicle into the right place but it couldn't be connected properly. He has another one that works fine.We were told that this testicle will produce sperm but will not be "dispensed " (sorry, looking for a good word here) normaly. The sperm could be extracted by a doctor. We are not worried about this at all.

Does that mean that such a child will only be able to have children thru IVF?
No!!
A man has 2 testicles usually. Even if one cannot release sperm, the other one should be sufficient to fertilize an egg....

So sorry I didn't follow this after I had posted back then. Yes my son has one functioning- fully- testicle. I meant that should any other problem arise they could extract sperm. Urologist said that there is no reason to anticipate a problem. One testicle is all a man needs.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
My son had this too & had surgery at 16 mo. That was when our urologist felt was optimum in his case. We also gave him hormones to help it descend. The sugeon got the testicle into the right place but it couldn't be connected properly. He has another one that works fine.We were told that this testicle will produce sperm but will not be "dispensed " (sorry, looking for a good word here) normaly. The sperm could be extracted by a doctor. We are not worried about this at all.

No!!
A man has 2 testicles usually. Even if one cannot release sperm, the other one should be sufficient to fertilize an egg....

So sorry I didn't follow this after I had posted back then. Yes my son has one functioning- fully- testicle. I meant that should any other problem arise they could extract sperm. Urologist said that there is no reason to anticipate a problem. One testicle is all a man needs.

Just to understand, you wrote that it will produce sperm, but will not be able to be dispensed normally. That a doctor can extract it. Then you write that there will be no issues unless he has another problem which arises. Are these 2 phrases not somewhat contradictory?
It seems from what you're saying, that what YALT is saying is true? And how would a doctor extract it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

No!!

Just to understand, you wrote that it will produce sperm, but will not be able to be dispensed normally. That a doctor can extract it. Then you write that there will be no issues unless he has another problem which arises. Are these 2 phrases not somewhat contradictory?
It seems from what you're saying, that what YALT is saying is true? And how would a doctor extract it?

From the testicle that was undescended -- that one is the one that would need medical intervention perhaps....that's how I understood it. The functioning one should be sufficient, but if there was a need (ch"v it was damaged or whatever), the other testicle is not considered useless.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:51 pm
my son had both testicles undescended and at 13 mnths we had them brought down. does ANYONE know of ANYONE that had this and whether or not they had fertility problems?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics