Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Woman spends a year on Frum Womens Forums for her thesis!!!
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 9:46 pm
This is a fascinating - a Jewish - probably frum - woman spent a year crawling the web on some of the most popular Jewish Womens forums and put together a thesis on it. or a research paper. Whatver. It was pretty funny and intersting for me to read it, and I'm wondering if she was in fact posting the entire time! Who knows?

This is the link:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/j......html

The 'introduction' seems to talk about imamother... lol

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 9:50 pm
I read the first paragraph and that's about it. Begging mods not to lock the post?!?!! Need I read all of it?

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 9:56 pm
Fascinating, thanks for posting.

I have long suspected this:
"While the dearth of extreme ultra-Orthodox posters is understandable, why are there relatively few MO women posting on some forums? As MO life is freer of communal constraints than that of Haredi women, it may be that these women have other outlets for discussions on gendered topics, read a more varied type of literature, have secular friends to consult with about intimate matters, received a broader secular education allowing them access to more information about topics discussed, aren't interested in endless discussions about hashkafa and aren't afraid to ask for information about practical issues from reliable secular and non-Jewish authorities. This can explain the rapid demise of a forum begun in late 2007 for MO women which never gained momentum."
and it seems she arrived at similar conclusions.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:07 pm
I wonder if this is avigayilmiriam

Tzippora

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:15 pm
It can't be - she wasn't at Bar Ilan.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:20 pm
I suspect whoever it was did not contribute LOL

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
Is this what's going to happen now? Amothers will start rumors about departed posters? I don't think that's okay.

daisy

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:32 pm
Quote:
What drew me to the poll was its phrasing which used the correct anatomical term and not "private parts,"

Quote:
The moderator also altered the guidelines of the intimacy section, telling posters they were allowed to use all proper English and Hebrew terms when discussing "private areas" but exhorting them to keep the general content of the message "clean and appropriate."

This does not sound like Imamother!

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:33 pm
Clarissa wrote:
amother wrote:
Is this what's going to happen now? Amothers will start rumors about departed posters? I don't think that's okay.

I skimmed most of it, but did not see that the author made no mention how posters never stay on track of the thread! LOL

Atali

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:36 pm
I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it feels like an invasion of privacy for some reason Scratching Head , not that there is any real privacy on the internet anyway..

Edited to fix an obvious typo

Last edited by Atali on Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:40 pm
Evasion or invasion?

No, when you post things online, they can end up anywhere.

Raizle

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 10:59 pm
I agree with Atali.
We signed up to this forum for whatever reasons each of us had,
But I really don't think anyone here expected to become the subject of someone's thesis.
A friend of mine was doing a thesis on something to do with childhood development and asked parents for permission to use their kids as subjects.
We can't stop anyone from taking what we post on the internet and using it for whatever they use it for, but that doesn't make it ethical.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:05 pm
I don't see the problem with it. It's not as if she identified anybody here in any way, so nobody gets embarrassed. Message boards are an interesting phenomenon, and the different communities and their attitudes are interesting. I think it's to be expected that people will study them for school, articles, whatever.

When I was in college, people would often have to leave home for months or years to study something of interest, in order to write a paper. I read many ethnographies (I majored in Cultural Anthropology) and those people often went really far for a really long time. These days, you make your coffee, sit at your desk and start reading.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:17 pm
From the style written, and the fact that she knew how to answer the questions the writer is either frum or was frum so knowing that all I can say is TRAITOR! How does she lay out our lives for the general public when that's not something we want to do? There's a reason why we feel comfortable posting on this site and it's not so our responses can show up in a journal somewhere down the road. I think Imamother should get a forensic computer detective and sue her!

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:20 pm
Or we could accept that the internet isn't really a living room, it is not private, and our words and thoughts (and pictures, if we post them) are out there forever, for any and all to see.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:22 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Or we could accept that the internet isn't really a living room, it is not private, and our words and thoughts (and pictures, if we post them) are out there forever, for any and all to see.

This is exactly why I don't belong to Facebook, Myspace, etc.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:27 pm
Merrymom wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Message boards are even more public than those places, if it's possible.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:30 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Message boards are even more public than those places, if it's possible.

Really? So why do they make us bother with that whole interview thing? Is that just to keep the posters to a select few but not the readers?

merelyme

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:30 pm
It does feel like an invasion of privacy. It should certainly serve as a warning to us.

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:31 pm
Mama Bear: How did you find that article?
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics