Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Woman spends a year on Frum Womens Forums for her thesis!!!
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

entropy

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 9:09 pm
I don't think you can conclude her work is unprofessional on the basis of opinions she posted anonymously on a message board.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 9:13 pm
I didn't say that was the reason. We can't necessarily conclude anything about her just as she can't necessarily conclude anything about the people here.

entropy

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 10:16 pm
That would be true or false regardless of her personal opinion.

I do think that this message board can supply many valid data points. The question is, how to control for all the various factors at play. One might argue the data impossible or very hard to exploit due to various limitations imposed by the nature of the board. If she's a good academic she will be able to approach it responsibly regardless of her personal opinions.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 6:30 am
How many academics do you know who can do that? Personal bias is almost impossible to overcome.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 7:02 am
I was lucky, I once had a teacher in graduate school who had a bias against frum students. Those of us in the class had a hard time with him and especially when we had to write our papers one of which were dissections of case studies including of psychoses having to do with religious observances. When he marked it we were all very surprised to see his comments which were really levelheaded and fair and our (the frum students') grades reflected it. Gave me food for thought - going against all I had learned in school - that it was possible for an academic to overcome personal bias, or at least in this one case!

As I tell my friends who teach in university or in college, they are my friends IN SPITE of their profession and certainly not because of it!

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:07 am
sarahd wrote:
How many academics do you know who can do that? Personal bias is almost impossible to overcome.

Of course, but it's highly unusual to reveal that bias on the forum that is your topic of study.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:09 am
entropy wrote:
That would be true or false regardless of her personal opinion.

I do think that this message board can supply many valid data points. The question is, how to control for all the various factors at play. One might argue the data impossible or very hard to exploit due to various limitations imposed by the nature of the board. If she's a good academic she will be able to approach it responsibly regardless of her personal opinions.

Still doesn't sit well with me regardless of whether or not it is possible to be done.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 1:22 am
freidasima wrote:
This may be the internet where everything goes but I'm still very disturbed by it. That's why people should be careful with what they post anywhere on the internet. I keep telling my kids to be careful what they post, it can come back to haunt them on job interviews in the future etc.

I'm not shocked but I'm sad about this and agree with the posters who mention ethics. In my profession people write up their cases sometimes for other therapists to learn from, but only with full permission of the clients. In any case, it's a reminder for me to be even more careful in the future about what I post.
Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 1:50 am
freidasima wrote:
This may be the internet where everything goes but I'm still very disturbed by it. That's why people should be careful with what they post anywhere on the internet. I keep telling my kids to be careful what they post, it can come back to haunt them on job interviews in the future etc.

I'm not shocked but I'm sad about this and agree with the posters who mention ethics. In my profession people write up their cases sometimes for other therapists to learn from, but only with full permission of the clients. In any case, it's a reminder for me to be even more careful in the future about what I post.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 1:55 am
Thanks for bumping!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 2:05 am
I dont get it. Is this another research or the same one that FS did?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 2:12 am
amother wrote:
I dont get it. Is this another research or the same one that FS did?

the same

"I'm Shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!"

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 2:15 am
amother wrote:
the same

Question

youngishbear

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 4:50 am
I can't wrap my head around the post where fs opposes her own work on ethical grounds!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 4:56 am
I guess I'm clueless, but how do you know this person is FS? She's been around forever and seems really nice. Did I miss something?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 5:00 am
amother wrote:
I guess I'm clueless, but how do you know this person is FS? She's been around forever and seems really nice. Did I miss something?

Apparently she was banned on Thursday. Read the threads on the subject.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 5:06 am
amother wrote:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 8:11 am
Hilarious.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow

WADR, I appreciate why you feel this way, but even if I was going to like the post (and I'm one of those who feel more sadness than anger over this) I couldn't because of your going amother.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
the same

OK, now this I can like. Even though I wouldn't go amother on this.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics