Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Fancy potatoe side dish?

oster

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:35 pm
I would like to make baked potatoes for a side dish (for an occasion) anyone have a fancy way of doing it? I usually use sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.

queen

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 1:08 am
don't have my recipe books at all near computer but check Kosher By Design (the first book-- green cover) for "scalloped potatoes"

EXCELLENT RECIPE!
it's sliced potatoes baked in a sauce- tastes cheesy, but pareve. (could be fleishig depending if you use real chix soup in recipe or pareve soup powder)

Once vegies all prepared, rest of recipe takes about 15 minutes.
It's a favorite in our house, which I make for special occasions.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:15 am
You can use baby potatoes (either regular or redskinned). Keep it whole if it's small or halve. Parboil for 5-7 minutes, coat with a bit of olive oil. Roast with salt, ground pepper and rosemary.

Another one of my favourite is paprika onion baked potato. Cube regular potatoes into small (like 1.5-2inches) cubes. Parboil 3-5minutes. Sautee thinly sliced or chopped onion with a bit of oil, salt and LOTS of paprika. Mix with potatoes and bake.

If you like something more exotic, you can make a regular oven baked potato, smother a bit with chutney (I usually mix sweet mango and tart/spicy lime pickles) to give nice sweet-spicy curry flavour.

Or potato dauphine (though not really a baked potato). Make a mashed potato, pipe using the pastry bag and bake top till lightly coloured.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:29 am
Queen, I love that one. There's also Potatoes Anna (or as I call them, Potatoes Chani ;-), though I don't know how that would work with sweet potatoes.

If you really want to patchke, there are the "mushroom" look potatoes but I don't have a clue about making them (also, with sweet pot.).

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:39 am
You can make hassleback potatoes.

12 roasting potatoes, peeled (choose ones the same size)
8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
3 tbsp olive oil
1 oz margarine
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 stalks of fresh rosemary

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 400'.
2. Stick a metal skewer through the bottom of the potato, along its length. Using a sharp knife, make vertical cuts in the potato until your knife hits the skewer. Take the skewer out and soak the potatoes in cold water for an hour. Drain and dry. (The cuts will open out when you roast the potatoes and give you a fabulous presentation.)
3. Put the potatoes in a large roasting dish with the garlic cloves and sprinkle with the oil. Dot with the margarine, add salt and pepper and roast for 50–60 minutes until golden.
4. Baste occasionally throughout cooking with olive oil. Ten minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking, add the sprigs of rosemary to the roasting dish.

Or you can try the Potato Stacks from Kosher BY Design Short On Time. I will post he recipe if you need it.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:47 am
I love roasted red potatoes - the very small ones. They look so pretty on the plate - and are easy to make.

Starhavah

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 11:48 pm
sunshine! wrote:
You can make hassleback potatoes.

12 roasting potatoes, peeled (choose ones the same size)
8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
3 tbsp olive oil
1 oz margarine
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 stalks of fresh rosemary

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 400'.
2. Stick a metal skewer through the bottom of the potato, along its length. Using a sharp knife, make vertical cuts in the potato until your knife hits the skewer. Take the skewer out and soak the potatoes in cold water for an hour. Drain and dry. (The cuts will open out when you roast the potatoes and give you a fabulous presentation.)
3. Put the potatoes in a large roasting dish with the garlic cloves and sprinkle with the oil. Dot with the margarine, add salt and pepper and roast for 50–60 minutes until golden.
4. Baste occasionally throughout cooking with olive oil. Ten minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking, add the sprigs of rosemary to the roasting dish.

Thanks Sunshine! I was looking for a potato dish for this Shabbat and found this one. Wow! Everyone loved it! Thanks again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes