Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How do you steam/cook frozen brocolli?

shmeichel

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:27 pm
How do you steam or cook frozen brocolli? and what can I add to it, to make it a bit 'different?'

TIA

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:29 pm
I microwave it (as per directions on package) and squeeze lemon over it with crushed fresh garlic.

canadamom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:45 pm
sometimes I put the broccoli on a cookie sheet, sprinkle it with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and put it under the broiler. I keep turning it till it's all crispy

cookielady

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:46 pm
canadamom wrote:
sometimes I put the broccoli on a cookie sheet, sprinkle it with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and put it under the broiler. I keep turning it till it's all crispy

It's really good that way! I sometimes will put cloves of garlic with the broccoli. So good.

shmeichel

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:55 pm
canadamom wrote:
put it under the broiler.

in the oven?

cookielady

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 1:57 pm
I put it in the oven on 450.

canadamom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:02 pm
yes, in the oven (I have an electric oven so the broil feature doesn't usually burn the food)
I do this also with cauliflower

shmeichel

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:12 pm
Thanks!!!Smile

Good Shabbos!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:22 pm
are you defrosting it first ?

shmeichel

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:24 pm
of course!

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:27 pm
canadamom wrote:

or, bake on 500 for about 30 minutes. I use the spray to spray it and season with french fry seasoning. last few minutes I sprinkle some corn flake crumbs on it.

Or, take the bag frozen as is and pop it into the microwave for about 15-20 minutes! Then, you can toss with whatever you want (cheese) or spices. This is the dietetic way.

I own these steel contraptions that you put into a pot and fill the pot with 1 inch of water, put the broccoli into the steamer. Sprinkle with salt. In the water, put 3 garlic cloves, the steam will be 'garlic flavored'. Really, broccoli needs nothing more than salt.

shmeichel

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:38 pm
thanks shaklee mom!!! that steamer way sounds delish!!! but I dont have one of those contraptions:(

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 3:08 pm
shmeichel wrote:
thanks shaklee mom!!! that steamer way sounds delish!!! but I dont have one of those contraptions:(

it's very cheap, and folds nicely to no bigger that a soup bowl so it's a handy thing to have. Mine is very old and never rusted.

cookielady

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 3:35 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
shmeichel wrote:

it's very cheap, and folds nicely to no bigger that a soup bowl so it's a handy thing to have. Mine is very old and never rusted.

Many years ago my mil bought one for me. It's great for steaming vegetables (and for steaming won tons!)

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 2:33 pm
cookielady wrote:
canadamom wrote:

It's really good that way! I sometimes will put cloves of garlic with the broccoli. So good.

steam with a lot of garlic and a bit of crushed red pepper, then serve over pasta

shmeichel

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 11:26 pm
Thanks!!!

Was delicious!Smile and my DH loved it!!

I made it in the oven with salt, pepper, and fresh garlic!!! YUMMY!!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:23 am
shmeichel wrote:
Thanks!!!

Was delicious!Smile and my DH loved it!!

I made it in the oven with salt, pepper, and fresh garlic!!! YUMMY!!

Great, now you do it with cauliflower, baby carrots, red peppers, zucchini chunks. onions or any other vegetable you can enjoy in a not over cooked tasty way to prepare it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes