Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stir Fry Vegetables Step by Step Instructions anyone?

3Qts

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:02 pm
How do I make a good stir fry vegetable? What pot do I use? Vegetables? sauce?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 2:23 pm
I'd take a deep saucepan and sautee onions first, then adding the meat, then the sauce and then rest of the cut up veggies.

Levtov

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 4:19 pm
I make delicious stir fry in teflon (analon) frying pan w/ cover. I make med large flame and put in oil. Dice onions, all color peppers, celery, carrots, string beans, any shape is fine, some could be long and thin, some sqaure, add each veggie as you cut and dice them and alway mix. Then season with salt and pepper and anything you like. Leave for another five min. uncovered. Then close flame and cover. Yummy and delicious. If you like meat, thin slices of chicken cutlet can be added.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 2:04 pm
The thing about stir fry is it's still supposed to have 'crunch' to it.

The proper formula in all the Chinese cookbooks I have is to first cook your meat/chicken and then set aside.

Then start stir frying the veggies in order of hardness - carrots go first, then fresh broccoli. Then zucchini and peppers. Followed by shredded cabbage, onions and snow peas. Then are water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and baby corn and then you add the meat back into it. Just before serving , with a final toss, add the mung bean sprouts.

Seasoning is soy sauce, garlic, black pepper...

cookielady

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:27 am
Yesha's way sounds the way to go for the real stir fry taste, not over cooked mushy vegetable.

Mishie

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:41 am
Yeah, I also do mine like Yesha.
The trick is to cook them on a pretty high flame, but for a short amount of time, so they stay crispy.
You don't want your veggies becoming mushy.

and also, stir-frying the meat/chicken first and then setting aside.
I do that with Tofu as well.
and then mix them in with the veggies right before serving.

I love it served over rice...

micki

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 11:44 am
I flash boil some veggies first, like carrosts- then I toss it all in. cuts down on frying time

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 6:56 am
A few more tips: The most important part is use a pan (in lieu of wok) that's LARGE enough so that there's enough room for the ingredients to move about. Make sure pan and oil are heated enough--almost to the smoking level and keep flame high throughout. I like to use sesame oil. Also make sure vegetables are cut in even size so that they cook evenly. If using liquidy sause/seasoning, add at the absolute last minute. If you cut meat/fish/tofu in thinner strips there's no need to cook them first and keep it sepearately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes