Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dream about meeting an ancestor

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 11:26 pm
This Shabbos I dreamed that I met one of my great grandfathers. (He died over thirty years before I was born.) I remember very little of the details, but I remember that I felt like I really connected with him, and there was so much I wanted to ask him. I thought about it a lot in the morning.

Does it mean anything special when you dream about one of your ancestors?

Sherri

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 11:30 pm
I have a grandmother who dreamt of her grandparent right before she gave birth to a child and named that child after that grandparent.

I don't know if I think it means anything... Sometimes you hear of these stories where someone in Shamayim comes to someone in a dream... don't know how that works exactly!

zz-ez

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:56 am
Sounds like a true dream. Did he tell you anything or do anything? Also, I read that if you see the person's feet in a dream, it's not a true dream because neshamos don't have feet. Why not ask a Rov about the dream.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 1:04 pm
Well, I know I wanted to ask about relatives that when I woke up I knew were fictional. I also wondered why it was that he never visited before. (In the context of the dream, he was visiting my parents, just like my grandfather, his son in law, used to.) It's not so much that he said anything in particular to me. I just had a very comfortable feeling that he was there, just like when my Zaidie was visiting.

One thing I do remember clearly, was that he was saying a chapter of Tehillim. He didn't have a sefer in front of him; it seemed to be from memory. I distinctly heard it begin "Shir Hamalos." When I woke up, I wanted to say the same chapter of Tehillim he said. I didn't know exactly which one he said, so at the earliest opportunity on Shabbos, I said all the Tehillim that begin with "Shir Hamalos". I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

I am not sure why I would dream about this relative as opposed to one that I knew. Or even as opposed to one I was named after for that matter. He is the father of my grandmother, whom I named my daughter for. And I think his mother had the same name, but I am not sure. My husband suggested that perhaps it might be his Yaretzeit, but I don't know if it is. I know that my grandparents lived with him when they got married. He lived to see their first two children, including my mother, but I don't think she would have been old enough to remember him at all.

zz-ez

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:23 pm
It's quite possible your dh's right and it may have been your great-grandfather's yahrzeit. There is a certain siddur with a few pages in the middle called Pisron Chalomos, which has a lot of meanings of dreams. It's the Siddur Bais Yaakov by Rav Yaakov Emden ztz"l zy"a. If you have that siddur, you can look it up. In any case, it sounds like a very good dream. May he be a meilitz yosher for your whole family.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 5:20 pm
Thanks, Miki.

I asked my mother, and it turns out it was not his yaretzeit, or anywhere near.

I don`t have that siddur. We tend to use Artscroll.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics