Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tti vs sara schneirer
Previous  1  2  3  Next

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:09 am
Shmaichel wrote:
Little Ducky,
Tti masters program is as real as you can get. It is very very intense, full Sunday of school, tons and tons of reports, fieldwork, practicum, and thesis paper. You need to take the 4 state tests to become certified as well. Each and every credit is only gotten through toil and hard work! So I don't know what you mean by 'real'. It is definitely accepted as a full masters and certification for the board of Ed as well as any school looking for a teacher with a degree. Please don't knock it based on rumors that are in fact not true at all.

I made my comments based off of what professionals, friends who hire, and women who had to "redo" their degree because where they got it from wasn't recognized. TBH Several of the women went though the BA programs at many of these quicky places. I am sorry if I insulted you- I am just speaking from experience.
I know people who went though MA programs in psychology/education fields and from what you describe that is a bare baseline. They went to school multiple days a week for 2-3 years. Practicum, reports, fieldwork, and papers.... Without them it isn't a MA program so doing them isn't a "plus" for your program. It is standard.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:11 am
Also, look at each school you are thinking about and ask them for their statistics on how many pass the state exams. They should have the numbers for you.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:34 am
LittleDucky, I'm surprised you say that. I am in a very prestigious Phd program and my BA is from TTI. My undergraduate degree was accepted by all four of the (excellent) graduate schools I applied to.

I wonder which colleges and universities your friends do the enrolling and hiring for.

malkaf

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:51 am
My mother is principal of a special ed program and hires staff each year. She's been very impressed with the SS graduates, much more than the TTI ones. She says they are more serious and really know their stuff.
Personally I did my BA through Excelsior and got my MA through TTI (SLP). I don't think the program was especially rigorous, but I didn't have a problem getting a job. Ultimately it is your personality and motivation to keep improving your skills and learning more that will make you a good therapist.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 11:58 am
I got a B.A. through TTI. It was a stepping stone. I learnt very little but was able to get into a good M.Ed program with it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:04 pm
Sarah Schenirer alumna here. It is a fantastic program. My classmates and I gained so much from the program.
One major difference between the two programs not mentioned yet is, that since Sarah Schenirer is an actual college (as opposed to TTI's BA program which consists of exams), if you qualify for financial aid, you'll be better off at Sarah Schenirer since AFAIK, financial aid is not accepted for TTI's bachelor's program. Also, are you a motivated type of person? Will you work well without deadlines and push yourself to do the coursework at TTI?

I'm not sure what major you're planning to go for, but if you'd like to go into special ed, please research it very carefully. It's an extremely flooded field and jobs are scarce. However, speech still has many possibilities out there.

Shmaichel

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:09 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I made my comments based off of what professionals, friends who hire, and women who had to "redo" their degree because where they got it from wasn't recognized. TBH Several of the women went though the BA programs at many of these quicky places. I am sorry if I insulted you- I am just speaking from experience.
I know people who went though MA programs in psychology/education fields and from what you describe that is a bare baseline. They went to school multiple days a week for 2-3 years. Practicum, reports, fieldwork, and papers.... Without them it isn't a MA program so doing them isn't a "plus" for your program. It is standard.

That obviously is the requirement for any masters and TTI does not cut corners and requires it as well. However, just because others have 2/3 nights of courses, doesn't make them any more legit. A full day of Sunday classes is the same amount of school time as 2/3 nights a week. It is an extremely intense program and allows you access to any school or position requiring certification in Special Ed.

n

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:12 pm
Thanks so much for all your help and replies!! I have some 80 credits many in education from programs I have previously completed. I am aiming in the special Ed field, hoping to either do seit work or preschool teacher. I have two kids but am ready to take the time off of work to do this instead. Honestly, if there was a way to do this during the day and not just night courses or Sundays if faster do that. I'm looking into these two options as they were the best I found in accelerated programs. Are there any other online or Brooklyn based options?
Thanks again for all the help!!!!

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 1:15 pm
n wrote:
Thanks so much for all your help and replies!! I have some 80 credits many in education from programs I have previously completed. I am aiming in the special Ed field, hoping to either do seit work or preschool teacher. I have two kids but am ready to take the time off of work to do this instead. Honestly, if there was a way to do this during the day and not just night courses or Sundays if faster do that. I'm looking into these two options as they were the best I found in accelerated programs. Are there any other online or Brooklyn based options?
Thanks again for all the help!!!!

It is extremely difficult to get SEIT cases these days. I have been doing SEIT for the last ten years, and have a bilingual extension in Yiddish, and am fed up with begging for cases a few times a week all year and getting nowhere. It's not worth it. There are very limited preschool teacher positions out there.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
LittleDucky, I'm surprised you say that. I am in a very prestigious Phd program and my BA is from TTI. My undergraduate degree was accepted by all four of the (excellent) graduate schools I applied to.

I wonder which colleges and universities your friends do the enrolling and hiring for.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. We each will have our own experiences and knowledge gained through asking different people. We each know someone who got into XYZ program or didn't get into one they were qualified for or would hire/wouldn't hire. And it might differ based on BA vs MA program and your personal qualifications (GRE scores, letters of recommendation, experience etc).

n

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
It is extremely difficult to get SEIT cases these days. I have been doing SEIT for the last ten years, and have a bilingual extension in Yiddish, and am fed up with begging for cases a few times a week all year and getting nowhere. It's not worth it. There are very limited preschool teacher positions out there.

Getting a job doesn't worry me as much as getting the degree, it seems that crown heights schools have a need...I am also bilingual and have been working in the local school system for many years

My question is more of which route to pursue:-)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:12 pm
I think Sarah Schenirer's adult program is weekday mornings, if that makes a difference to you. Unless you'd like to attend classes with the recent high school graduates in their regular program, and you won't feel self-conscious.

n

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:21 pm
Thanks Amelia badelia that's exactly what I was wondering!!! Did u do the program as an adult? Wondering what it entailed? Thanks again!!!!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:23 pm
n wrote:
Thanks Amelia badelia that's exactly what I was wondering!!! Did u do the program as an adult? Wondering what it entailed? Thanks again!!!!

No, sorry I can't help you with that... But why don't you call them and discuss it with them? Also, did you consider Touro?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:28 pm
malkaf wrote:
My mother is principal of a special ed program and hires staff each year. She's been very impressed with the SS graduates, much more than the TTI ones. She says they are more serious and really know their stuff.

I am an administrator of a special Ed program as well and I couldn't agree more. I am so impressed with the SS graduates- I find them to be just as prepared as the graduates from good secular programs. Go with SS! Do the BA and apply to grad school. I know a number of people who have gone into other areas and been fine.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:41 pm
I think that when it comes to teaching it doesn't really make a difference. I did my Master's through TTI--but I needed a quick program b/c I already had a job and needed to get certified fast. I had a real undergrad degree. The most annoying thing about TTI's program when I was there was since most of the students were from TTI undergrad, when it came to the term papers many didn't know how to write one--one of my classmates didn't know how to write a thesis sentence--let alone Thesis paper. I've heard that since then they now have writing classes to aid in that problem. I think it depends on what you want to do. Since a lot of teaching is in-born, the master's degree is to weed out the wheat from the chaff. Most employers don't care where your degree is from if you passed the tests and give a good model lesson. Ultimately your skills as a teacher will come out, but it's not necessarily taught, you learn a lot of academic theory, special ed law, IEPs, and assessment, how to differentiate instruction, but you need the creativity and patience to actually carry it out well.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:43 pm
If nights and weekends don't suit you, and you already have some experience and skills, consider an online school. Touro has one, I don't know much else though.

n

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
I am an administrator of a special Ed program as well and I couldn't agree more. I am so impressed with the SS graduates- I find them to be just as prepared as the graduates from good secular programs. Go with SS! Do the BA and apply to grad school. I know a number of people who have gone into other areas and been fine.

Apply to grad school?
Again-are you recommending to stick with ss the whole way or just part? I didn't know that was an option
Thanks!

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:49 pm
I have worked alongside several (at different times) Sara Schenirer graduates (who did the whole program there) and found them to be well prepared for their profession.

This is not to say anything against TTI because I happen to never have worked with anyone from there. I just wanted to add what I do know to this thread.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:50 pm
certainly stay for MA if you're going into education. If not, you can leave after BA, or get MA in education (it's only 2 yrs total for BA and MA) and then apply to grad school of choice. One could work in sped while in grad school
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics