Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can't take it anymore- HELP!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:19 am
My baby's 8 moths old and cries all day!!!!!!!!!!! The first few months I thought he was just a terribly colicky baby, but I think by now he should have gotten over it. I'm at my wits end, I really don know what to do with him. The second I put him down he SCREECHES BLOODY MURDER and wont stop until I pick him up. he nurses A TON (that's the only way to keep him happy)

I'm really going crazy....

HELP!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:29 am
Yup, been there. I went back to work full time. The baby became a needy teenager and young adult.

tzipp

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:47 am
Get a swing. Take the baby for a walk. Get a moby wrap.

qeenB

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:47 am
maybe try a cranialsacrotherapist . they can tell you if something is out of place which could be causing the baby pain. for example some babies during birth will suffer some sort of birth trauma or something in the neck is out of place it will cause them to have a constant stomach ache .I have used one for myself and have brought my baby to her as well and she really made a difference.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:04 am
My baby did that for the last 5 months. I switched him to formula and he's happy now. It may not work for you, but it worked for us.

My helmet is on- I'm ready for the tomatoes.

sarahla

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:04 am
maybe he's nursing and you might not have enough milk ...
I had the same problem with mine for the first few month, he was nursing 24/7 and I stopped having milk so I had to give him formula.
maybe try supplementing a little but and see if he's better
good luck Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:14 am
Baby carriers are a life saver!
I'm not seeing why nursing is the problem Confused I'm taking it that he's been growing fine, so there is enough milk...OP hasn't mentioned this is a new problem; just an ongoing problem.
I like the idea of CST. Sometimes a difficult birth can cause bones to be misaligned, etc and an experienced practitioner with babies can see if there is something that needs to be fixed.
Perhaps he has reflux? Does he spit up a lot?

Either way, baby carriers have been my lifesaver. I used a sling for 2.5 kids before getting a mei tai when my daughter was 7 months old. I'm "holding" my babies without hurting my arms and I can get stuff done as well.

ss321

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Yup, been there. I went back to work full time. The baby became a needy teenager and young adult.

no offense, but do you really believe the reason your colicky baby became a needy young adult is because you went back to work? I know many needy adults whose mothers were SAHMs and many perfectly adjusted adults whose mothers worked full time. what exactly is your point? just to freak this poor woman out?

OP, things will get better!! Sorry! I feel for you! sometimes babies go thru crying stages, or needy stages, and whatever. S/he (I think a he I dont remember) will grow out of it. Just be patient and as loving as you can (I know its hard when sometimes you just want to pull your hair out because it is so frustrating). try a swing (although at 8 mos hes getting rather big for one), or you can try switching formulas. is he teething?

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:38 pm
I just wanted to comment on the swing suggestion- my son is 5 months now, and pulls himself up to a sitting (forward) position in the swing and bangs his head on the bars on the side. If it works for you at 8 months, great. But it may not be the safest suggestion for that age...

Sunflower

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:21 pm
I'd check for reflux even if the baby isn't spitting up. the way to diagnose this is to put the baby on zantac or prevacid, and see if there's a difference in behaviour (it takes 3 -4 weeks to work, but you should have an idea if it's working by the end of the 2nd week). good luck!!!!

NYmommy

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:41 pm
Had the same with dd till she was 9 months old! Good for you that your baby only cries when you put her down but mine cried 24/7. She constantly nursed (every 2 hours till the age of 2!) I visited the doctor multiple times cauz I was sure that "has" to be something wrong for her to scream all the time... Anyway, she cried till she was 9 months old, when she learned how to crawl. She hardly cried ever since! Shes 3 years now and very easy going child b'h.

EM

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:47 pm
I was going to say (like 0181) that a lot of babies get much happier once they start crawling/moving around. meanwhile {{hugs}} I feel for you - so frustrating!!
good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:49 pm
ss321 wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

no offense, but do you really believe the reason your colicky baby became a needy young adult is because you went back to work? I know many needy adults whose mothers were SAHMs and many perfectly adjusted adults whose mothers worked full time. what exactly is your point? just to freak this poor woman out?

OP, things will get better!! Sorry! I feel for you! sometimes babies go thru crying stages, or needy stages, and whatever. S/he (I think a he I dont remember) will grow out of it. Just be patient and as loving as you can (I know its hard when sometimes you just want to pull your hair out because it is so frustrating). try a swing (although at 8 mos hes getting rather big for one), or you can try switching formulas. is he teething?

No, not at all. He was a needy baby and became a needy adult. That's his nature.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:56 pm
OP here. thanks for all your replies!

chocolate moose wrote:
CM, I'm realy sorry you're having trouble with your kid, but that really wasnt too helpful! Smile I do work (part-time) but I dont think that has anything to do with his crying!

tzipp wrote:
Get a swing. Take the baby for a walk. Get a moby wrap.
I thing he's too old for the swing. I borrowed one when he was younger and didnt help a bit. Walking outside helps, but I can't spend my whole life walking! I'm strongly considering a wrap.. they're pretty expensive and I dont have extra money, but it may just be worth it!

QB wrote:
maybe try a cranial sacro therapist
Are these cs therapists expensive? what do they do exactly?

OY & Sarahla wrote:
I switched him to formula and he's happy now.
Thanks, but I dont think nursing is the problem (I sure hope not!) I know I have enough milk, bec a) he's bh growing beautifully, and I also pump at work and get a nice amount. I also tried going off dairy and that didnt help at all (and theres nothing else I eat daily that I think would make him cry so constantly)

HY wrote:
Perhaps he has reflux? Does he spit up a lot?

Either way, baby carriers have been my lifesaver. I used a sling for 2.5 kids before getting a mei tai when my daughter was 7 months old. I'm "holding" my babies without hurting my arms and I can get stuff done as well.
Nope, doesnt spit up much at all.. whats the dif btwn a sling, mei tai and moby wrap (sorry, I know there are a million threads abt that, but every time I try figuring it out I just get confused- can /o explain in really short layman's terms w/o giving me too many options?

ss321 wrote:
thanks! hope theyll get better soon!! he's definitely teething, but been doing that for a while and no teeth yet, so Confused

sunflower wrote:
I'd check for reflux even if the baby isn't spitting up. the way to diagnose this is to put the baby on zantac or prevacid, and see if there's a difference in behaviour (it takes 3 -4 weeks to work, but you should have an idea if it's working by the end of the 2nd week). good luck!!!!
Are there any other symptoms? or is this just something to 'stam' check for if baby cries so much?

Ok, I hope I got all the quotes right! In short, the 3 things I should try are a sling, cs therapist, and check for reflux? anything else a/o can think of?

Could it be that hes just a hard baby without there being somthing hurting him.. I feel so guilty soemtimes thinking hes screaming from pain, otoh, I don't want to spoil him even more by running to his every cry..

Thanks again

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:59 pm
What I'm saying is that it's not your fault but you need a break. That's why I went back to work !

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:01 pm
Firstly, babysteals.com has the Moby D wrap half off today only...
A wrap is one single piece of cloth you wrap around to get the way you want to wear your baby.
A mei tai is a square piece of cloth with 2 short straps tied around your waist, and 2 long straps that go over your shoulders and around your body to secure the baby. http://kozycarrier.homestead.c.....9.jpg
(you can get much cheaper than kozy sells if you buy homemade at etsy.)
A sling is a piece of fabric that goes over one shoulder (usually) and the baby sits/lies in the "pouch" -- some have rings to make it more adjustable, others are sized to you.

For an 8 month old, I'd look at mei tais or wraps over a sling....

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. thanks for all your replies!

chocolate moose wrote:
CM, I'm realy sorry you're having trouble with your kid, but that really wasnt too helpful! Smile I do work (part-time) but I dont think that has anything to do with his crying!
I think she meant the way she dealt with the constant crying was by not being around him most of the day, so she kept her sanity.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:13 pm
Thanks HY, that was very helpful!

While I was replying, I missed the last 2 posts- EM and 0181. Thats just what I wanted to hear- that some babys just cry and I'm not the only one!

My baby's actually an early crawler- he's been crawling since 6.5 months. I also thought that would help, but unfortunately, no luck. He just scampers after me while hollering! (which happens to be really cute, but heartbreaking at the same time!)

anyway, thanx 4 all the support.. I know its a passing stage iyH, just need help getting through it. I love him like crazy, but I go nuts from his constant screaming!!

lili

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:16 pm
maybe he is allergic to some food you're eating??
get him a swing, the one that you hang on the door frame. my baby is 10m. and he spends loads of time in there and LOVES it!!it's not too expensive and really worth it.
or then you can always blame it on the teething...
it's so frustrating I feel for you.
make sure to get some help even 2 hours a week to have some time for yourself.
it'll pass...

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:

OY & Sarahla wrote:
I switched him to formula and he's happy now.
Thanks, but I dont think nursing is the problem (I sure hope not!) I know I have enough milk, bec a) he's bh growing beautifully, and I also pump at work and get a nice amount. I also tried going off dairy and that didnt help at all (and theres nothing else I eat daily that I think would make him cry so constantly)

I don't know enough about pediatrics to give you advice on a medical level, but I think it's helpful to hear other people's experiences so that you know what options others have tried, why they worked for them, and if they could possibly work for you.

My son had always been a fussy baby. It was really a surprise for us, because our daughter really never had any problems other than a cold or two that would make her uncomfortable as an infant. As a newborn, we didn't know why he was crying all the time but attributed it gas or reflux because all of his physical's indicated that there were no other problems. So we tried all kinds of remedies and medications week after week, and nothing changed. I modified my diet so that I was off of caffeine, dairy, wheat, eggs, fish, nuts.. it was really hard. I had no problem with my milk supply and he nursed really well and was gaining nicely, just crying all the time. After trying all different solutions, our doctor did some other extensive testing, specifics including ones for kidney infections, x-rays of the head- you name it, he did it. We left formula as a last option, and bH it worked.

Posters have mentioned that there is nothing wrong with breastmilk, just with what the mother is eating. I will not disagree on paper, but will comment that I have a sneaking suspicion that there are in fact some babies that do much better on certain formulas than they would do on breastmilk.

Btw, since a cranialsacrotherapist was mentioned, I will also add a comment about babies being fussy because of abnormalities in the skull development. We had x-rays taken of the skull to see if the sutures had closed early and were the reason that the baby was in pain (because of the brain development and growth). They turned out to be normal, but if this is a concern- which should probably be a rare one- you may want to have this checked out.

Babies have no way to communicate their needs other than by crying. If a baby needs something or is uncomfortable, crying is a way for them to let you know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics