Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools for weak learners but good boys
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 9:45 am
Are there schools for boys that are good temimusdik boys that happen to not be the best learners?
Often, the elite boys, the well behaved refined boys that are great learners get accepted into the best schools, and the other boys get put in schools for the rejects, putting temimusdik boys that just arent good learners with rebels, etc.
Do you know of specific schools, either in israel or even chutz laaretz that are for good frum boys that arent necessarily the best gemara kups?

Atali

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 10:06 am
This is a HUGE problem.

There are such schools out there, and a new one is forming in Baltimore. It isn't davka directed toward weaker boys, but is rather designed to have very small classes that are taught in such a way to make sure that all boys are learning on their own level, and they do not choose boys for the school on the basis or ability.

The thing is, that it is a high school that has secular studies as well, so it probably wouldn't work so well for those who want a more "mesivta-type" education.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 10:10 am
Atali, I agree with you that it is a huge problem. I know people that went off the derech because a) they were influenced by all the "bad boys" in their class when they were good boys, just didnt have the head for learning b) they were sick of being treated the same as the "bad boys" because they WEREN'T like them, and resented the schools and the rabbonim for doing so.

merelyme

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 10:23 am
Seraph, are you looking for a school for a specific boy?

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 10:25 am
merelyme wrote:
Or just posting?
Posting to see if there are actually some schools like that in existence. Because when it was relevant to said people, they could find no such school.
If there is no school like that in israel, I can see myself and my husband trying to open a school like that one day, because there definitely is a need.

Atali

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 10:32 am
Seraph wrote:
merelyme wrote:
Or just posting?
Posting to see if there are actually some schools like that in existence. Because when it was relevant to said people, they could find no such school.
If there is no school like that in israel, I can see myself and my husband trying to open a school like that one day, because there definitely is a need.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Even if they exist that doesn't mean there isn't a need for more of them.

beila

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 11:06 am
There are some schools that have opened in the U.S. for such boys. They are mostly new, and small, and they only want boys who don't have issues like smoking, girlfriends, etc. If you want, you can pm me and I can give you an idea of what is over here.

anewday

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 2:07 pm
I think that every school should cater to such kids...as a teacher, I strongly feel that boys (I even see it in the girls dept, though, its not as sever cuz we dont sit with a gemara all day) should be given a good feeling about education. why is it that kids spend 75% of their day with adults that they dont necessarily feel comfortable with or better yet, dont feel "good enough" cuz their not the best learner...I wish people would open up better schools!

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 4:01 pm
They exist in Israel as well and experienced parents know where to find them. A problem may be for those with a specific hashkafa outlook that is more important than matching their son's ability.

Also how these schools are looked at differs in different chugim. In general where a man's worth is dependent on him learning in a good yeshiva these schools will not have many good kids in them. Ditto chugim that stress academic/professional achievement. There are exceptions. I have had a kid in the most prestigious and a kid in special ed and everything in between. Much has to do with how much the parents trust HaShem and not basar v'dam to provide their kids with the proper shluchim in chinuch, a proper yeshiva placement and a shidduch. It is a rule that HaShem will put us in the hands of that which we trust. If we believe in cliques and protektzia they will control our fate.

B"H we have in Chabad talmudei Torahs and yeshivot with all different kinds of levels and emphases and it is totally normal that brothers do not attend the same school as each child is sent to where it fits. No stigmot.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 4:40 pm
Hatzlacha finding what you need; I'm in the US so can't help you.
I'd like a school like Beila describes, that is for really, really good boys, who will do well getting a parnasa early and working half day, learning the rest, while not feeling disenfranchised from the yeshiva world because they are so yeshivish themselves.

creativemommyto3

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 6:01 pm
Yeshiva Derech Chaim in Brooklyn/ Torah Ore in Yerushalayim..

middos

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 7:53 am
my husband runs a yeshiva specifically for these boys. located in neve yaakov. his name is Rabbi Allon Bruckenstein and his e mail is aybruck1125@gmail.com the yeshiva is for ages 7th and 8th mainstreaming theminto a regular yeshiva ketana.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:54 am
I know a relative of mine who sent 2 bochurim to a program that ran with a brocha from their rebbe. The way it worked was, the boys had to check in at an early hour, daven together with their minyan. Then, they learned for about 2 hours then they went to work, all together, in construction. They ate together, davened together… but learned very little. All of those bochurim turned out to have yiras shamayim, a schedule that makes parents feel content, and also, they all are in construction today and are all doing very well K’H. If you and your husband decide to do something to help these bochurim, you should have a lot of hatzlocha and I wish you the best of mazel, and health and lots of yeshua in everything you daven for.

middos

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 12:17 pm
kids in israel who work have to go into the army, not so simple.

beila

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 10:21 pm
I decided to post some of my list (U.S.). Never know who it might help.
Several come to mind, but it depends on the boy's situation (learning issues, comprehension difficulties, not motivated, etc).

Mekor HaTorah in Lakewood-- small, somewhat new, for boys who are from only good families, no girls, movies, internet, but need a little extra. Heard good things. Builds up self-esteem.
Yeshiva in Norfolk, Virginia -- for good boys, some learning issues but not really weak learners. Small, wholesome, very warm. Many good references.
Yeshiva in Toledo, Ohio -- small, warm, will take boys who are not the best learners but good boys
St. Louis Missouri - Chofetz Chaim type, small, warm, for a boy who will work and do homework, etc
Neimos HaTorah in Baltimore - not sure exactly what type of boy they take, but heard they can help boys who are not top learners
Shaarei Arazim, Monsey - for boys who need to be motivated, don't feel great about themselves because they haven't been 100% successful. Build on self-esteem. Have one day a week where they do woodwork, electronics, art, music, etc.
There's a place in Far Rockaway, can't remember the name, small and warm and looking for boys who are not academic geniuses.
Some of these places will take boys with learning issues, some won't. Depends on the degree.
Also, is a very relaxed, small yeshiva in Aventura, Florida, called Doresh, for boys with some special needs and learning issues.

I once asked a mechanech about learning/trade. He said it is better to wait until post-high school. Most, if not all schools, have basic academic requirements they need to meet. Can't fit everything into the day. Things are improving, but there are so many boys out there who don't have a good fit for yeshiva.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 10:36 pm
Shema Koleinu - Hear our voices, Brooklyn NY - just opened a program for boys and girls (separate) with Asperger's. I think it's ages 4-8 or something like that.

Chavroni

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:08 pm
Does this heading have to say Schools for weak learners?!
My poor son saw this when he googled this amazing Yeshiva, Mekor Hatorah that he is lucky enough to be going to in a few weeks.
When you google Mekor Hatorah, this heading is what comes up.
Please change it if possible right away! These are high school boys, young adults, who go online! They need to have self esteem!

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:27 pm
Chavroni wrote:
Does this heading have to say Schools for weak learners?!
My poor son saw this when he googled this amazing Yeshiva, Mekor Hatorah that he is lucky enough to be going to in a few weeks.
When you google Mekor Hatorah, this heading is what comes up.
Please change it if possible right away! These are high school boys, young adults, who go online! They need to have self esteem!

I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. However....most high school boys realize if they are weak learners. Its not a secret that a particular school caters to weak students.
And op's question is a huge problem. There aren't that many schools that help good, weak boys. They are nebach lumped together with at risk boys. My husband teaches in a high school that unfortunately has a terrible mix. 75% of the boys are at risk. Not a day goes by that the boys don't use the "f" word, make vulgar jokes, talk about their girlfriends, many of these boys are michalel shabbos, smoke Marijuana, ect. Then you have the 25% good wholesome boys with weak heads who struggle academically and are sitting side by side with the first group. How sad.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. However....most high school boys realize if they are weak learners. Its not a secret that a particular school caters to weak students.
And op's question is a huge problem. There aren't that many schools that help good, weak boys. They are nebach lumped together with at risk boys. My husband teaches in a high school that unfortunately has a terrible mix. 75% of the boys are at risk. Not a day goes by that the boys don't use the "f" word, make vulgar jokes, talk about their girlfriends, many of these boys are michalel shabbos, smoke Marijuana, ect. Then you have the 25% good wholesome boys with weak heads who struggle academically and are sitting side by side with the first group. How sad.

Ugh, this term is despicable. Good, solid boys are NOT 'weak boys' just because they aren't so academic!

Librarian

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:00 pm
Yeshiva Shaarei Arazim in Monsey
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics