Home

Need a good spelt challah recipe asap!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

ulimom

Post Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009, 7:51 am       Post subject: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
I no a lil bout baking with spelt...but if anyone has a good spelt challah recipe would greatly appreciate it...ty!!!!

ValleyMom

Post Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009, 9:03 pm       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
Brace yourself for an amazing recipe... Trust me--YOU are going to want to HUG me!!
Good Luck!!!

Cousin Ahuva’s Spectacular Spelt Challah
• 4 tbsp yeast

• 2 cups warm water

• a bit of honey.

• let it dissolve and set aside

Get a second bowl…

• 2 cups water

• 3/4 cup honey or agave nectar - I started using agave nectar - low on the glicymic index and also makes a silkier dough!

• 6 eggs

• 1/2 cup oil
• 2 tbsp. salt

• 1 cup flax meal - opt. but great for fiber

Now add yeast mixture and then add the flour - 5 lbs. white spelt plus a bit more.

knead and let it rise at least 1 hour.

Shape and let rise 1/2 hour and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour!

tgiwbg

Post Posted: Tue, Jul 21 2009, 9:07 pm       Post subject:
Spelt Challah
T. dry yeast
2 ¼ cups warm water
½ cup oil
1/3 cup honey
¾ T. salt
4 cups spelt flour
3 ½ cups whole spelt flour

Tip: use the same measuring utensil for oil and honey so the honey pours right out
Mixes easily in 1 kitchenaid bowl
Preheat oven to 350’.
Place pan with water on the bottom shelf of oven so oven is moist.
Touch top of challah with water
Bake challot for about 35 minutes.
Makes 4 large challot
Recipe can be doubled and for 8 challot and making a brocha.

Mevater

Post Posted: Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:25 pm       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
Have others tried either of the recipes above?

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:27 pm       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
ValleyMom wrote:
Brace yourself for an amazing recipe... Trust me--YOU are going to want to HUG me!!
Good Luck!!!

• 4 tbsp yeast

• 2 cups warm water

• a bit of honey.

Get a second bowl…

• 2 cups water

• 3/4 cup honey or agave nectar - I started using agave nectar - low on the glicymic index and also makes a silkier dough!

• 6 eggs

• 1/2 cup oil
• 2 tbsp. salt

Now add yeast mixture and then add the flour - 5 lbs. white spelt plus a bit more.

I'm going to try this recipe.

Do any of these recipes make the challah less crumby? I hate that there's way more crumbs than with wheat challah.

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:39 pm       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
ValleyMom wrote:
Good Luck!!!

• 4 tbsp yeast

I hope you're around now - Which yeas do you use? The dry, or live?

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:29 am       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
ValleyMom wrote:
Good Luck!!!

• 4 tbsp yeast

• 2 cups warm water

• a bit of honey.

Get a second bowl…

• 2 cups water

• 6 eggs

• 1/2 cup oil
• 2 tbsp. salt

This recipe is great, delicious, soft, not crumbly and doesn't get too dry once you cut it. Definitely a winner and a keeper in this house.

I baked loaves of bread for my son for breakfast and will report how he likes 'em.

ValleyMom

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2010, 3:57 am       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
WoooHooo!
I am thrilled you like the spelt recipe!! My cousin Ahuva makes it every single Shabbos with very minimal leftovers...

lshap

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2010, 4:09 am       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
does this recipe also work for whole spelt or just white spelt flour?

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2010, 11:10 am       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
I used lite spelt and it was great. I've done whole spelt recipes in the past and I think they're more or less the same, though obviously the whole is a bit heavier.

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Fri, Nov 05 2010, 9:00 am       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
ValleyMom wrote:
Good Luck!!!

• 4 tbsp yeast

• 2 cups warm water

• a bit of honey.

Get a second bowl…

• 2 cups water

• 6 eggs

• 1/2 cup oil
• 2 tbsp. salt

I have to give a HUGE thumbs up for this recipe. It's the best so far and barely crumbles (which is an issue with spelt that I've always had).

I took a part of the dough and mixed some flavor infused oil (Zeta basil and garlic) once it was fully risen. It was really divine.

allrgymama

Post Posted: Wed, Feb 09 2011, 5:30 pm       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
@tgiwbg: I'll be trying your egg-free recipe tonight. Thanks so much!

moneyshouts

Post Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:44 pm       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
life'sgreat wrote:
ValleyMom wrote:
Good Luck!!!

• 4 tbsp yeast

I hope you're around now - Which yeas do you use? The dry, or live?

Life'sgreat, did you get an answer to this question?

lamplighter

Post Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:52 pm       Post subject:
Can I make either of these recipes with whole spelt flour only?

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:57 pm       Post subject:
lamplighter wrote:
Can I make either of these recipes with whole spelt flour only?

I think so. I've used lite and/or white. I've made many spelt recipes with just whole and although it's a bit heavier or more crumbly, they were fine.

I don't remember if I did or didn't get a response to that question, but I haven't made challos in a while. IY"H once my girls give me a bit of a longer break in the day, I hope to resume.

moneyshouts

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 19 2011, 9:14 pm       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
So you don't know if it's dry yeast or not? I tried it with dry yeast-it actually came out pretty good, but the challos barely grew-and the braids spread so I ended up with a bread loaf rather than a braided challah.

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Tue, Dec 20 2011, 1:55 am       Post subject: Re: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
moneyshouts wrote:
So you don't know if it's dry yeast or not? I tried it with dry yeast-it actually came out pretty good, but the challos barely grew-and the braids spread so I ended up with a bread loaf rather than a braided challah.
Did you let it rise too much? It needs to rise just as much as written. Otherwise it falls.

a1mom

Post Posted: Fri, Sep 13 2013, 12:33 pm       Post subject: re: need a good spelt challah recipe asap!
Just bumping this to say thanks for the awesome recipe
I halved the recipe, used all whole spelt and coconut oil- It came out fabulous- yummy and soft. Thanks.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Page 1 of 1