Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
I need a zuccini recipe!
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 10:01 pm
Do you have one???
Please post---I need to lose weight!

beautiful blessings

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 10:06 pm
Saute an onion (in oil or water - I prefer oil).
Cut up zucchini (with peels) into rounds.
Add to sauteed onion. Add can of tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Let it cook until the zucchini is soft. Tip: don't do this in a frying pan, unless you want tomato sauce splattered all over your walls.

mommyX2

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 10:09 pm
easy/yum/healthy recipe:

spray pan with pam. cut zucchini in round slices...like cucumber slices. lay out in pan. spray with decent amt of pam. put on salt and garlic powder. bake on 350 for abt 1/2 an hr.

less for under cooked...more for crispier.

best fresh or they wrinkle...but they are delicious and I can eat a whole zuchinni easily Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 6:52 am
Braised courgettes
Cut 4-5 courgettes in thick (like 1.5") slices. Sautee 1/2 chopped onion in a saucepan. Add courgettes, 1 cup water, salt and pepper, parve soup powder and cook for 20min or so till courgettes are soft. Turn off heat and add 1/2 squeezed lemon juice.

Courgette pie/crustless quiche
Shred 3-4 medium courgettes, sautee till mostly cooked. Season with salt & pepper. Put in a bigg-ish bowl and let cool slightly. Add 4 beaten eggs. Pour the mix into pyrex pie dish. Bake in 180C oven for 20-30min till cooked through and puffy/golden on the top. Can be served at room temp. You can also make it milky by adding shredded cheese.

Courgette-slaw relish
Shred 3-4 medium courgettes. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt and leave for 30min or so. Squeeze water (which also takes out bitterness). Mix in standard coleslaw or vinaigrette dressing.

Oven-dried courgette
Good way of using up if you have vast quantity of courgettes. Slice courgettes thinly. Oil a cookie sheet and lay courgettes in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, freshly ground pepper, (italian herb optinal). Set the oven at a low temp (around 100C) and leave 5-6hrs till courgettes shrivel up to about half in size. Great served as is for a nibble, or can be added to plain cooked pasta.

Not ideal for diet but you can also make stuffed courgettes (minced meat and rice stuffed in the hollwed courgettes, oven-baked in thinned tomato sauce)

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Sat, Jul 18 2009, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

abismommy

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 8:24 am
Saute fresh garlic in a drop of oil until fragrant. Ad a diced onion and saute a little till limp. Cut small zucchini and yellow squash (peel on or off - your preference) into half rounds and add to pot. Saute until cooked over low flame. Add salt and pepper when off the fire.

bubby

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 8:47 am
Sautee green & yellow squash (half rounds, peel on) in PAM. Cover with a lid. Drain off a lot of liquid, add tomato sauce, tomato paste, & onion powder, cover & simmer until soft & most of the liquid is absorbed. It's delicious! And DH makes it better than I do!!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 10:26 am
PERFECT!!!
Thanks everyone.
These are exactly what I need... Simple, fast, easy and will store in the fridge for a few days.
You are awesome!!!

ruth

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 4:24 pm
my recipe is similar to bubby's:

Using olive oil: saute yellow onion, before it gets translucent add zucchini that has been sliced 1/3 inch.
Saute this until the zucchini gets half-cooked. Add salt and pepper

Add can of chopped tomtoes w/juice, oregano, minched garlic.

Cook the mixture until the zucchini is well cooked.

This can be eaten warm or cold.

(sorry, I don't have measurements. but you get the general idea)

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 1:44 am
I steamed zuccini and onion in a cup of water and it had a metallic aftertaste my de said she thought it was poison. Lovely! Could it be my pot ? Did overcooking give it metallic taste? I seasoned with consomme powdered, garlic powder and salt and pepper. What did I do wrong????!!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 1:49 am
saute an onion with three pcs minced garlic
add a cut up tomatoe
three large zuccinis(upeeled) slices
half of a small eggplant cut in small pcs
can of mushrooms
small can tomato sauce
salt and black pepper

cook on med flame for half hour. Freeze in small containers and eat when hungry.

abismommy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:08 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I steamed zuccini and onion in a cup of water and it had a metallic aftertaste my de said she thought it was poison. Lovely! Could it be my pot ? Did overcooking give it metallic taste? I seasoned with consomme powdered, garlic powder and salt and pepper. What did I do wrong????!!

Did you leave the peel on? Sometimes the peels are a little bitter and give a yucky taste. Better luck next time. Smile

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:13 am
I did indeed leave the peel on, mystery solved!
Someone posted that peeling wasn't necessary I will try it again...
Thanks!!

abismommy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:16 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I did indeed leave the peel on, mystery solved!
Someone posted that peeling wasn't necessary I will try it again...
Thanks!!

embarrassed That someone was...ME! Sorry; that does happen sometimes, but usually it's just a piece or 2 that has a funny taste and the rest is OK. embarrassed

greeneyes

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 9:45 am
Would you be interested in a zuchinni soup? I make a really low calorie, delicious zuchinni soup. Let me know if you want the recipe.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 10:48 am
I would love the soup recipe and... Abismom, no hard feelings.. It is just Zuccini... I just thought it was hysterical that my daughter thought it tasted like it had been poisoned... like someone sprinkled rat poison or arsenic. My kids are avid readers!! LOL!!!

Mishie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:15 pm
It could be the zucchini you used was not good. I had that happen to me once. I made a delicious zucchini salad (with fried zucchini rounds), and when I tasted it, it had such a bitter flavor.
I always make the recipe the same way, and it only happened that time....

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 12:22 pm
I think sprinkling salt on courgettes before cooking will reduce bitterness.
Also don't keep courgettes in the fridge too long--cook as soon as you buy them. Fresher ones tend to be less bitter.

anewday

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 1:08 pm
zuccini parmesean:
its milchig! the recipe is in the spice and spirit purple cookbook - really good!!!

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:38 am
ValleyMom, do you have Kosher by Design? I make the zuchinni soup from KBD with 2 minor changes: 1) sometimes I cut down on the oil or eliminate it completely & just use pam, and 2) if I don't have fresh basil, parsley, & dill, I use dried herbs instead. If you don't own the cookbook, I can type out the recipe for you.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 3:35 am
I would love BOTH those recipes.
Especially since my shabbos effort was a dud!!!
Thanks!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes