Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nutramigen Formula
1  2  Next

Mommy007

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 4:14 pm
My newborn has to be on Nutramigen formula...it is so much more expensive than any other formula. We called the insurance company but they said they do not cover formula in ny state.
Does anyone know of any place/websites where I can get some coupons for it? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 4:18 pm
there is a formula gemach in flatbush and I think another one or two in boro park. call sara gelber in flatbush, I think her number is 718) 253-5497.

I can try to find my gemach book after my kids go to bed, send me a pm if you havent found anything by about 8pm tonite.

rydys

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 5:05 pm
try calling the company that makes it. sometimes they will send coupons or let you order bulk at a reduced price

pacifier

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 6:19 pm
before buying it in bulk, make sure it's the right one for your baby. it didn't help for mine, but the israeli materna is working.... sometimes you just have to try all the brands!!!
besides, even if you don't qualify for medicaid, you might qualify for the wic program which might cover nutramigen.

Shimmysmom

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 7:07 pm
try ebay. we got our cans for around $15/can that way. there are ppl constantly selling cases.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 8:11 pm
thank you shimmy.
I've been using elecare for the last 10 months and it costs by now $50 a can. now I see on ebay I can get 6 for $100.
thank you so much for the eyeopener.

Marigold

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:15 am
and now I won 2 for 28 bucks.
awsome.
thks

Mommy007

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:41 am
shimmysmom...thnks so much for the ebay idea!! it really helped us tremendously!!! Thanks again!!

shirafruma

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:20 am
1) Did you ask a rov about nutrimagen? because its made for babies with severe food allergies and the main ingredient is chazzer.. my son was very ill has a newborn because he was allergic to all types of things and he wouldnt nurse, so finally as a last resort before hospitalization his pediatrician put him on nutrimagen...we called the rov, the rov said yes with a second opinion from another dr and b"h it saved my sons life.

2) Call Price Chopper in Scranton PA..5 years ago, they were the cheapest I have ever seen it at 18.99 a can..we live in FL and everywhere here, even Walmart was 26.99 a can.

3) Ask your dr if he gets in sample cans from the company every time you go and take as many as they give you. we used these cans for the diaper bag because its a shelp to use the big cans and if they spill you are even more upset because its a waste of money.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:37 am
If you can PM me the exact type that you need, I'll post it on another forum that I am part of, where people routinely give these away after they no longer need it.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 10:40 am
if you buy on ebay, make sure to ask the seller for the expiration date on the can. sometimes they sell expired formula & that is why it is discounted. if you do it this way if they aren't what they say they are, you can return it for a refund.

Mommy007

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 10:55 pm
thanks...yes we do check the expiration date b"h so far so good!!

pacifier

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 11:02 pm
shirafruma wrote:
1) Did you ask a rov about nutrimagen? because its made for babies with severe food allergies and the main ingredient is chazzer.. my son was very ill has a newborn because he was allergic to all types of things and he wouldnt nurse, so finally as a last resort before hospitalization his pediatrician put him on nutrimagen...we called the rov, the rov said yes with a second opinion from another dr and b"h it saved my sons life.

2) Call Price Chopper in Scranton PA..5 years ago, they were the cheapest I have ever seen it at 18.99 a can..we live in FL and everywhere here, even Walmart was 26.99 a can.

3) Ask your dr if he gets in sample cans from the company every time you go and take as many as they give you. we used these cans for the diaper bag because its a shelp to use the big cans and if they spill you are even more upset because its a waste of money.

about the kashrut of nutramigene, I asked OU about it. It's not the main ingredient that is not kasher.
what is not kasher is the enzime used to break the protein so that it can be digested. once the formula is diluted, it's batel beshishim. even though lechatchila, it's better not to use it, if a child needs it, there is no problem, it's kasher bedieved. in other word, you are not giving treif formula but a bedieved kasher formula.

to the op, did you eventually figure out what your baby is allergic to?

Mommy007

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 11:04 pm
basically he has a milk allergy and the other formulas were not digesting probably and he was in pain and other stuff...b"h it all worked itself out...

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 12:18 am
can you get it via WIC?

Mommy007

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 4:44 pm
I dont think so bec my husband HAD a good job last yr so I think u have to have a certian amount of money in the bank...

drumjj

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 3:01 am
pacifier wrote:
shirafruma wrote:

about the kashrut of nutramigene, I asked OU about it. It's not the main ingredient that is not kasher.
what is not kasher is the enzime used to break the protein so that it can be digested. once the formula is diluted, it's batel beshishim. even though lechatchila, it's better not to use it, if a child needs it, there is no problem, it's kasher bedieved. in other word, you are not giving treif formula but a bedieved kasher formula.

to the op, did you eventually figure out what your baby is allergic to?

in the london beis din catalogue it doesnt say its treif milk it just lists it as dairy

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 3:48 am
My pediatrician is recommending this to my 15 month old who is not growing well and is allergic to milk and soy (to be used twice a day.) I plan on asking my rav but just curious - being not kosher, does this mean I have to wash his bottles out in the bathroom and if it is listed under dairy, is it actually?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:45 pm
I just got this in an email from a friend:

Quote:
Insurance such as medicaid will sometimes cover special formulas if the doctor perscribes it. They should check with their pharmacy or medical supplier for details. WIC will also give checks for certain formulas if the doctor perscribes it.

Another option are the formula g'machs. Occasionally people will donate their left overs after they move on to a different formula. Following are a few numbers to try: 718-972-2142 (Boro Park), 718-255-5497 (Flatbush), 718-783-5145 (Williamsburgh), 845-371-3232 (Monsey). (If I got the numbers wrong, you can call Hamodia classifieds for the numbers)

amother

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 2:15 am
medicaid covered elecare and neocate for 2 of my kids

if he doesnt have a good job now, then apply for medicaid now
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics