Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Drawing sad faces
Previous  1  2  3  Next

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:59 pm
Crayon said:
"When I was younger, I drew a picture of my mother with green hair like Marge Simpson and my father with a conehead yarmulke and one sibling holding the other like a football. "

After hours of pondering..umm ahhh and etc...this possibly means you are a Martian!

Welcome to this planet:))))

amother

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 12:02 am
I don't think a bad hairdo, punk color, or a misshapen yarmulke mean anything except maybe good imagination, the football hold may or may not, some people do carry babies like that. I am sure your parents loved their makeover Exclamation

queen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
My 5 year old son draws sad faces on all his people. Does anyone here know psychology and have an answer if this is a developmental thing or does it have a deeper meaning?

am not a psychology major however if ALL his drawings at FIVE years old are of frowning people I'd look into it further. What is going on between him and his peers in the classroom? Does he have friends? Are the others nice to him? Is he being bullied? What is the atmosphere like at home? Does he get a lot of hugs and kisses from his parents?

I'd speak to the teacher and in general keep my eyes (and arms) wide open.
(arms= for hugs)

Crayon210

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 11:27 am
That's good advice.

But don't obsess! Just keep the lines of communication open, bring things up from time to time, but don't go crazy!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 12:16 pm
No, don't obsess, but def. keep our eyes on it.

My son was like that and he never really snapped out of it.

You can PM me if you want other info.

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 12:22 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....83155

sarag - your son was like what?

jewgal84

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:

Do you think most students draw smiles or straight lines for mouths? Or are frowns the norm too?

Actually a teacher once told me a child in her class kept drawing these horrible pictures all year, then towards the end of the school year mentioned at lunch something about his father hitting his mother, just like you keep an eye out for children who come in to school with bruises, sure they could have fell off the bike and hit their face, but then again maybe not, drawings that are atypical should render that you pay extra attention to that child to make sure everything is indeed okay.

Why do you keep being anonymous, can't you talk straight forward?

(And I though the "amother" was for private and confidential issues Rolling Eyes )

At five yrs old, drawing frowns on people, I don't think is a major concern unless, perhaps, it's all he draws.

The original amother asked if she should be concerned. I don't think she gave us enough details to really come to any conclusion.

Mandy

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:07 pm
what is your problem ? Maybe she just doesn't want people to think something is wrong with her son so she posts anonymously. Don't waste your irritations on this.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:09 pm
I think there is more than one amother on here, the original poster's concern for her identity was obvious, the rest...

jewgal84

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:16 pm
Mandy wrote:
what is your problem ? Maybe she just doesn't want people to think something is wrong with her son so she posts anonymously. Don't waste your irritations on this.

First of all, I was writting to the amother who kept on replying to me.

I have np with the original mother being anonymous, I have no np with anyone being anonymous when it comes to confidential and personal issues.

Crayon210 wrote:
I think there is more than one amother on here, the original poster's concern for her identity was obvious, the rest...

Thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:24 pm
DS was like all that and more.

Colored in black only. Never a smiley face. ETC

queen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:27 pm
Sara- this son of yours of whom you're describing- what is he like today? Is he social/happy go-lucky kind of kid or more withdrawn and quiet? Does he open up to either you or your husband?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:50 pm
Today?

After therapy......trying different schools.........his refusal to go to shul with tatty...........his refusal to do mishnayos baal peh, like the other kids.......

Do you really want to know what he's like? I'm afraid it'll scare you.

It's NOT good.

MMEC123

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 4:05 pm
Children can draw their emotions, just sometimes they don't realize what they're doing. A child's picture CAN be an insight into them, but don't overanalyze EVERY child's picture all the time.

2 examples of children who did express their feelings:
1) I had a student (5 years old) who drew only morbid pictures- skulls, wars, fighting, etc. I mentioned it to his parents many times and they never said anything and the kid wouldn't say what it was about either. Finally, we found out the his parents were getting divorced and the father was abusive. The pictures did make sense and he was obviously drawing his pain on the paper.
2)When I was five I had an "interview" before joining a new school. The interviewer asked me to draw a picture of myself. I drew a person but instead of facial features, I drew what looked like lines going down my face. At first the interviewer was ready to send me for psych elav, convinced I was a nut. Then my mother asked me (in front of him) what I drew. I answered that it was my back (the lines were actually HAIR) and that I was shy and uncomfortable at the interview and didn't want him to see my face. That was definitely drawing my feelings.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 4:38 pm
jewgal84 wrote:

Why do you keep being anonymous, can't you talk straight forward?

(And I though the "amother" was for private and confidential issues Rolling Eyes )

You're entitled to ask jewgal, but I think its fairly obvious that all "annoying why are you amothers" have a reason for it. Some more obvious than others. I feel that someone who knows me here will be able to recognize an identical to real life conversation, and then I couldn't post lots of other stuff under my screen name. If you disagree with my choice, you're entitled to your opinion.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 4:58 pm
And some, more annoying than others!

jewgal84

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:

You're entitled to ask jewgal, but I think its fairly obvious that all "annoying why are you amothers" have a reason for it. Some more obvious than others. I feel that someone who knows me here will be able to recognize an identical to real life conversation, and then I couldn't post lots of other stuff under my screen name. If you disagree with my choice, you're entitled to your opinion.

What are you writing that you are scared ppl will recognize you for Scratching Head .

amother

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 6:27 pm
jewgal84 wrote:
amother wrote:

What are you writing that you are scared ppl will recognize you for Scratching Head .

No, that one specific person will definitely figure out my screen name then I will not be at liberty to post freely in other topics. If you don't understand, sorry but I can't be any more clear than that.

jewgal84

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 6:30 pm
Ok!

We will leave it at that Salut !!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 8:09 pm
original amother here-my child is in a totally normal household, he loves school, does very well socially, the teachers say hes a great kid, so all I wanted was a professional opinion. It doesnt seem like this is proof of any problems. He doesnt watch violent videos and gets plenty of hugs and kisses. and btw I wrote age 5 but he's almost 5.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers