Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Tips for a long car ride alone with kids.

Chanie

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:22 pm
I'm traveling to NY from Montreal this coming Thursday. It's the first time I'm taking this drive alone with my kids (my dh isn't able to come till Erev Pessach and I'm needed in NY ASAP).
I'm nervous about giving the kids their attention during the 7 hour trip (ie. food, toys and just a hand when crying) I am also worried about having to take the kids out of the car each time I need to fill up with gas, or go to the bathroom.
Anyone do something like this before and have coping tips?
I would love to take someone in the car with me. At least 14 years of age or older. I've asked around, but cannot find anyone (seminary left all ready, and High School has school on Thursday)

girlsmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:46 pm
we do the trip all the time. our kids are still really young but the thing that saves us each time is a dvd player. we also like to travel at night so they sleep and its a much more pleasant drive without too many stops and we get there pretty quickly that way.

Chanie

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:02 pm
I've done the trip many times as well..... We travel at least 6 times a year, if not more. The difference is, that this time I'm traveling with only the kids. Hence the problem since I will have to give me attention to the road and there by my kids might go crazy. (Every other time I traveled with my dh)
I'm definitely traveling through the day. I wont take the chance of getting tired or the car breaking down and being alone on the road.
I've thought about a dvd player, but I drive a compact and cant see where I could fit one (even a small one) that both kids will be able to see it.
I'm also scared that being that I'm pregnant, I might need a lot of restroom stops. I'm going to have to shlep the whole family out of the car to the bathroom with me.
I really hope I'll be able to find someone to come with me in the car. It would make my ride so much easier.

girlsmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:13 pm
it will be a definate help to find someone to go with you but a dvd player will be a help regardless, the kids can hold it themselves or you can fit it in on the armrest on top of something so they can see.

newu

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 3:56 pm
We borrow story tapes and CD's from the library to listen to on our trips. Also, a great thing is to buy the kids clipboards that can hold a crayon or pen. The papers don't fall down and the kids can color, make pictures, tic tac toe and other things. Make sure you have food and juice boxes handy. Good luck!

mommy2

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:03 pm
I wish u lots of luck!

realeez

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:07 pm
Magna doodles are great - then no one can complain that they dropped their red crayon and none of the other 1000 that are next to them are good enough!
good luck!

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:10 pm
We've done the tapes before too, that really helped. Also we got those sippy cups with the straws, for some reason my kids really went for them (maybe cuz it was a special thin for them)

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:41 pm
Try and get someone to help you even if you have to pay them Tongue Out . Btw why do you need a 14 yrs old some younger girls are responsible too. It's not like she's babysitting them alone right? Hatzlacha Wink

newmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 7:03 pm
it might be worth it to you to fly this time around, and your husband could bring the car down when he comes if you want a car in town for Pesach.

ektsm

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 7:09 pm
When my kids were little they used to fight like cats and dogs. I would bring lots of food and coloring books along the way!

hardwrknmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 9:38 pm
Chanie I never did that before so no advice here..but would love to bump into you one of these days Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers