Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
New York

ffbmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 7:57 am
I am going to New York for three days, just to get away. I want to go as a tourist and see interesting things. I don't love things like Statue of Liberty and Empire State Bldg. I'd love to go to some great kosher restaurants that are not crazy expensive, see a Broadway show, do a bit of shopping and see some interesting places and museums. Any recommendations? Any way we could get Broadway tickets for less?

babygirl

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 8:03 am
sounds like fun maybe go to the wax museum on dans deals you can by gift certificates for restaurants for like $2

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:02 am
Here's a link for discount Broadway tix:
http://www.nytix.com/Links/Bro......html

ffbmom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 11:27 am
Thanks, everyone. Any other ideas? Hope the weather holds out.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 11:36 am
I always enjoy walking through Central Park, China Town, sometimes the Brooklyn Bridge if it's not horribly hot outside.

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 11:52 am
I think the best way would be to pick up a NYC Guide book and check out the list of museums and attractions. There are so many and it would depend on what you enjoy.
My favorite one is the Frick Collection because of the combination of art collection and beautiful house. The popular ones are Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Modern Art. There are probably over 50 museums in the city so check out a list.

I second Defy's suggestions if it's not too hot. Central Park can even be done even if it's hot because of the shade from the trees.

ffbmom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:18 pm
These are all great suggestions. Thanks a ton everyone. Any great kosher, not crazy expensive restaurants in Manhattan or Flatbush?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:22 pm
I highly recommend a trip to the torah museum in boro park. you have to make an appointment to go.

benny's grill on ocean ave and ave m is very nice. lovely atmosphere, good food. they have a piano player sometimes on motzei shabbos.

milchigs-- cafe hadar on nostrand and ave n is nice.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:27 pm
I love cafe k- they have branches on ave k in flatbush, 18th ave. in boro park, and one in midtown manhattan. cafe napoli on ave m and coney is also great, huge portions for pretty cheap. also sunflower cafe on kings highway. . .

my favorite places in the city are central park, and shopping in soho/chinatown/midtown.

I miss ny Sad

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:56 pm
yes yes yes to walking the bridge. and don't forget to walk on lexington, park, madison, 59th street area. Great shoppes!

ffbmom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 9:23 pm
OMG!!! Looks like I'll need two weeks to do all those great things. Where is Soho and Chinatown? Is it where the Lower East Side is? I used to know NY, but all has changed. Thanks.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 12:12 am
maybe stores change and restaurants change trends change ... but locations always stay the same ...

whatever you do - have FUN !!!

pina colada

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 12:15 am
If the weather is nice, Battery Park is beautiful. Maybe you can do a boatride.

Cafe Venenzia on Coney Isl. Ave is nice milchigs. And I second Cafe Napoli and Cafe K.

momaleh

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 6:00 pm
Wolf and Lamb is terrific for nice midtown fleishig that is less expensive than most steakhouses. Circa 34 is great for milchig.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 6:08 pm
ffbmom wrote:
OMG!!! Looks like I'll need two weeks to do all those great things. Where is Soho and Chinatown? Is it where the Lower East Side is? I used to know NY, but all has changed. Thanks.

Yes, they are in lower manhattan. Chinatown is canal street area- pretty much every train stops there. You can walk up canal street to broadway, and then walk up broadway til about 14th street- you'll be walking through soho. I used to do that and then keep walking up broadway to midtown if I still had time and energy- definitely won't take 2 weeks Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:01 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
ffbmom wrote:

Yes, they are in lower manhattan. Chinatown is canal street area- pretty much every train stops there. You can walk up canal street to broadway, and then walk up broadway til about 14th street- you'll be walking through soho. I used to do that and then keep walking up broadway to midtown if I still had time and energy- definitely won't take 2 weeks Smile

That's not really considered Lower Manhattan, ya know.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
ffbmom wrote:

That's not really considered Lower Manhattan, ya know.

not that it really matters, but. . . .

according to wikipedia: "Lower Manhattan or "downtown" is defined most commonly as the area delineated on the north by 14th Street, on the west by the Hudson River, on the east by the East River, and on the south by New York Harbor (also known as Upper New York Bay). "

so yes, chinatown and soho would fall in the area of lower manhattan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries