Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to London help
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Peanut2

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 6:09 am
Hey all!

So I am new to this site, and recently married, and am moving to London real soon! Are there any London ladies out there with any tips and advice?

My hubby has lived there before and has some friends, but his family is not from the UK and I don't really know anyone there. How do I meet people? And does anyone know how I can find a job? I've worked teaching limmudei kodesh to non-Orthodox kids and loved it, but could do other things (like event planning...)

Is there anything I should know before I get there? I am just super nervous, is all...

Thanks!

sunny90

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 6:32 am
if you find out how to meet people let me know! ;-) what else would u want to know?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 6:34 am
Peanut2 wrote:
Are there any London ladies out there with any tips and advice?

Yup. There's quite a good number of London immamothers, including myself. Baruchim habaim and mazel tov!

Peanut2 wrote:
How do I meet people? And does anyone know how I can find a job? I've worked teaching limmudei kodesh to non-Orthodox kids and loved it, but could do other things (like event planning...)

How to meet people--obviously from shuls. How to find a job--try bulletinboards like EdgwareK. Or you can contact individual schools. Will you have a work permit?

Peanut2 wrote:
Is there anything I should know before I get there? I am just super nervous, is all...

My first question would be whether you have decided which neighbourhood you'll be moving to.
The main orthodox communities are Golders Green, Hendon, Edgware, Stamford Hill is more haredi, slightly furhter out you have Radlett, Bushey, Borehamwood. Closer to central London you have South Hampstead and St John's Wood. Edgware has an eruv, GG/Hendon has an eruv (though not accepted by all), others do not have an eruv. Communites I mentioned have all kosher amenities (kosher stores, butchers, bakers, mikvaot). You'll probably need to buy a "kosher telephone directry list" and London Beth Din kosher food list (many foods are supervised but do not have hechsher). Most restaurants are in GG/Hendon.

Weather is not our strength, though coming here in summer months is much easier than arriving here in winter months. Winter is dark, shabbat starts really early like 3pm. Though a good news is it's not far from Israel.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 8:45 am
Thank you Mrs Bissli and sunny!

We are going to live in Hendon. DH lived there before and liked it.
I will be able to work legally, and tried contacting schools but had a difficult time getting a response...
What do people do about leaving work so early on friday (if not working in a jewish job)??

I have lots of questions, can't think of them all now. Do we need a car? Should I bring lots of clothes from america or is not much more expensive to buy winter stuff later on in the year? Right now the plan is to be there for a year or two, and the truth is that if anyone just has something nice to say about London/the jewish community there, it would be much appreciated. I'm really nervous...

Stepmum

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:09 am
Welcome! London's a great place to live. Lots of Jews, from all walks of life, many varied communities, many Kosher shops and loads of restaurants. A hop away from Europe, full of history, most museums are free, simple public transport system, lovely greenery, and, I think, quite kid friendly!

PM or post if you have questions, and don't be nervous!

GoodEnough

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:38 am
Hello and a very warm welcome to London. It is a really great place. People from abroad usually comment on the more laid-back way of living here. Regarding finding a job, I suggest you contact this organisation, they are Jewish and based in North West London, which is where you are coming to live. new leaf recruitment if you need any further help or advice please feel free to pm me.

tweety99

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:41 am
welcome to the UK! Very Happy

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 10:10 am
I think Hendon is a great community for young married couples. Lots of shul choices (Ner, Raleigh Close, Hendon Adath), shiurim galore, excellent restaurants/bakery. You'll probably find it easier with a car though can probably manage without one. Mind you, we drive on the other side of the road, and petrol is about 3-4x more expensive here. Don't consider driving into central London--£8 daily congestion charge, parking/one-way streets will drive you meshugas.

Clothes--I'd bring whatever you'll need. Clothes here tend to be more expensive than in the US. For example, if you see an item selling for $39.99 at GAP, you'll find the same item at £39.99. Though the winter here is much milder than Northeast US (it snows only a few times at most) so you won't need real heavy-duty winter things (unless you go skiing to Switzerland).

Leaving early on Fridays--the most challenging bit is when we change back the clock on the last weekend of Oct. when the candlelighting changes from around 5:30pm to 4:25pm. The earliest start in mid-Dec is around 3:30pm (though think about all the time you have motzei shabbat). If you check the website for the Board of Deputies, they have a booklet that explains shabbat observance to employers.

sunny90

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:19 am
While we're on the subject of London and all these experienced Londoners are here--where can I find birthing classes for frum women?
Because apparently I heard thats another way to meet people and I will B"H be needing it!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:40 am
Definitely Rebetzen Kimchi in Hendon. Not only she's knowledgeable and willing to accomodate both traditional and holistic approach, I felt so comfortable with her wonderful personality. I think she runs courses starting every other months or so, like 8 sessions some with hubbies, some ladies only, at her house. She also teaches you/DH what to do if you go into labour on shabbat/YT. She's very popular so call early. Are you in London? Inside eruvdom? Beshaa tova.

Slightly off the topic, but for me, the best nausea/morning sickness cure was Bendick's chocolate covered crystalised ginger. Totally addictive.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:55 am
Welcome to London!

I'm from Stamford Hill, if I can be of any help in any way!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 3:08 am
Peanut2 wrote:
Thank you Mrs Bissli and sunny!

We are going to live in Hendon. DH lived there before and liked it.
I will be able to work legally, and tried contacting schools but had a difficult time getting a response...
What do people do about leaving work so early on friday (if not working in a jewish job)??

I have lots of questions, can't think of them all now. Do we need a car? Should I bring lots of clothes from america or is not much more expensive to buy winter stuff later on in the year? Right now the plan is to be there for a year or two, and the truth is that if anyone just has something nice to say about London/the jewish community there, it would be much appreciated. I'm really nervous...

depending on where you live and work, you may or may not need a car. I would wait and see.

Clothing - probably clothing is cheaper in the us but there are plenty of great shops in the uk, which also have sales several times a year. check out marksandpsencer.com, next.co.uk for ideas of prices. Both those shops are on the higher end, there are also super cheap shops like primark where you can get clothes for almost nothing. Marks and spencer in particulour is great for tznius clothing.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 2:32 pm
I lived in/around Finchley for 4 years.

You can get by without a car in Hendon but it does seem that most middle class families have one. Unlike further in, there's a fair bit of shopping (especially Brent Cross shopping centre and the surrounding retail parks) that are easier to drive to. That said, I never drove there (I failed my UK driving test, oops!) and it wasn't too awful. It got awkward when I needed to visit friends, but I managed. One nice thing about London--you can park your stroller in the wheelchair bay! The tube is tougher, but they are improving wheelchair access (Finchley Central got lifts and I believe Golders Green was gettng them too). Of course, that won't be an issue yet.

If you're from outside the EU your driving license is good for 1 year, then you need to pass the UK test and you WILL need lessons. (Actually, I think Canadian licenses can be exchanged for automatic-only, but American licenses count for nothing.)

It can be tough to make friends as Londoners are reserved. Not rude, but even by British standards they are more stand-offish I think. You have to put the effort in to make friends. As I said, people aren't rude, but don't expect to be invited for a cup of tea or asked in--you need to make the move. I did find that difficult.

immaa

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 2:29 am
If you would like a job teaching non-orthodox kids than I would contact the JLE ( Jewish Learning Exchange) http://www.jle.org.uk/ - I know that some of their staff teach limmudei Kodesh at non frum schools. They are also always looking for new people.
Hatzlecha for your move.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:54 am
immaa wrote:
If you would like a job teaching non-orthodox kids than I would contact the JLE ( Jewish Learning Exchange) http://www.jle.org.uk/ - I know that some of their staff teach limmudei Kodesh at non frum schools. They are also always looking for new people.
Hatzlecha for your move.

Peanut2 what age group have you taught? For secondary schools, JFS student body is affiliated but not what I call frum. (check their website for limudei kodesh curriculum.) They're also starting a new community secondary school JCOS though I heard they may intentionally deter orthodox (eg having activities on yom tov sheni)--though I haven't confirmed.
My kids (primary school age) limudei kodesh teachers also teach ivrit. Because of national curriculum, % of limudei kodesh at UK day schools (at least United Synagogue affiliated ones) tend to be much lower vs US day schools. I think probably around 30-35% judging from my kids schedule/homeworks. Though they incorporate some elements in secular subjects (eg music, IT, arts, and english/creative writing).

Teaching at sunday cheder is another option esp if you don't want to work full-time, though the main drawbacks are it pays far less and it kills your sunday mornings.

BTW, for shiurim, aside from JLE and Aish, LSJS in Hendon is really great, lots of womens programmes.

nylon, didn't know you're in Pennsylvania. Have you moved? Does that make you pennlon?

immaa

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 5:41 am
JCOS is supposed to be strictly non orthodox. Whilst JFS is not a religious school there are jobs avaliable teaching just girls classes ( I believe they have an optional text program .. chumash.. rashi etc.). These jobs are avaliable through the JLE and if you are interested in teaching not so religious children may just fit your requirement.

nylon

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 5:45 am
That's pretty lousy of JCoSS if true, especially since they're involved with Masorti who keep 2 days.

We just moved, and I've used this SN for nearly 5 years now so I think I'll keep it Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 11 2009, 7:01 am
smilethere wrote:
Welcome to London!

I'm from Stamford Hill, if I can be of any help in any way!

stamford hill sounds like stepford wives ...

can you pick a fellow with an accent for me ... Wink

Peanut2

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 8:50 am
Hello! OP in London here and want to see if I can resurrect this thread for some food questions. There will be more questions coming, I think, but you were all so helpful so far...

1) What's the difference between "tesco basmati rice" (1 kg for 1.63) and "tesco value basmati rice" except for the price? Are tesco brands good? For some foods but not for others? I buy store brands in america for some thing, but not ketchup, mustard, olive oil, things where I think there is a difference in taste (come to think of it, not for rice either...) Same deal here?

2) I got the London Beit Din kosher guide and it says all frozen food is fine but to check it "as usual", except that's kind of impossible, especially with frozen spinach, which is what I'm after. Do you get the Israeli brands from the kosher supermarkets, or buy the regular ones?

3) Where can I get ricotta cheese, and why is it not on the LBD list? It seems like something that can easily be kosher. In america I just get it in the regular supermarket, and have to go to kosher places for yellow cheese.

4) What's a good brand of tofu? Is it always called tofu here? I searched for tofu on the tesco website and they have only one (!) kind.

Sorry for the idiotic sounding questions, thank you for your help, and just fyi - so far london is amazing!

drumjj

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 9:02 am
first question I find tesco rice rubbish and it always sticks together so I buy more expensive rice.
second question I also only buy vegetables that need checking in the kosher shops the bodek ones.
3rd question u can only buy cheese in england in the jewish shops that have a hechsher on them.
and fourth question I dont buy tofu so I have no idea.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating