Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Making fruit juice for Peseach

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 2:29 pm
How many of you out there make your own fruit juice for Peseach? I make apple, orange and grapefruit juice (dh loves grapefruit juice.). I have just spent 3 hours peeling, coring and juicing about 60 apples to get a measly 5 medium sized containers full. What a complete waste of time and energy. Then my DH walks in and says, "Don't like it anyway." Banging head Banging head GREAT.I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING. Then I get a delivery of a box of oranges from the groceries they are green and taste awful. I'am doing really well on the juice side of things this year.
Please remind me next year that juicing apples is a complete waste of time, thanks for letting me rant on.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 2:51 pm
Don't worry, you can cook with the apple juice! Use it to sweeten things. Your work is not in vain!

We make orange juice and lemon juice, but rarely drink them- they're ingredients.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 3:29 pm
yes, and you can combine them for a good punch, too!

ny21

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 8:32 am
I also have a juice machine !

I know how you feel about doing all that work

and getting so little from it! :arrow: :arrow: Banging head

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 9:36 am
momoftwins do you make orange juice as well? I saam to be having a lot of trouble getting oranges at the moment. The grocery store dropped me off a box full. I discovered that they were all green and really small. I phoned up to complain and I got back down the phone, "that's what juicing oranges look like they will be fine." Smash phone goes down on me. Well I just juiced one and it is YUCK YUCK bitter. So now what I think I'll send dh in to sort it out. On Sunday I brought about 40 oranges I got out 8 containers full. Where am I going wrong? Banging head Banging head That's how I feel at the moment. Next year I will have water and grapefruit juice instead and forget all of this I think. Very Happy Just remind me of this next year otherwise I'll be doing the same thing and complaining again to you all next year. Thumbs Up

ny21

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 8:29 pm
I have a very expensive juicer

if you take small green apples

and run it thru your juicer they work the best

my juicer spits out the pits !!! Thumbs Up

youngmom

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 8:49 pm
Jewishmama do you add water to your juices? You can get more out of it that way.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 8:54 pm
Maybe in UK the oranges don't ripen well? The Florida juicing oranges we get her (NY) are very sweet and make very good juice. But it takes a long time to make enough to fill up a bottleful.

So we water it down and it's still delicious. We also order a case of grapejuice, and make a punch from that, orange juice, and lemon juice. We use squeezed lemons, combined with water and grape juice (and boiled sugar) for lemonade.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 10:06 am
We do the same like SY, it makes the juice last longer, but it's only for yomtov, otherwise we pretty much drink water.

Which reminds me, with the filter situation, do I need to buy more pitchers.........

ny21

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 2:49 pm
jewishmamathebest wrote:
momoftwins do you make orange juice as well? I saam to be having a lot of trouble getting oranges at the moment. The grocery store dropped me off a box full. I discovered that they were all green and really small. I phoned up to complain and I got back down the phone, "that's what juicing oranges look like they will be fine." Smash phone goes down on me. Well I just juiced one and it is YUCK YUCK bitter. So now what I think I'll send dh in to sort it out. On Sunday I brought about 40 oranges I got out 8 containers full. Where am I going wrong? Banging head Banging head That's how I feel at the moment. Next year I will have water and grapefruit juice instead and forget all of this I think. Very Happy Just remind me of this next year otherwise I'll be doing the same thing and complaining again to you all next year. Thumbs Up

I never use orange juice ---to messy!

shayna82

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 2:51 pm
We purchased a blender. I am planning on making smoothies using bananas, strawberries, and anything else that will mix well.

just a thought and a spin on the classic juic

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 2:59 pm
Allright, all of you scientific minds out there, TELL ME WHERE I WENT WRONG!
Last year I bought a juicer and my poor teenagers made a lot of orange juice and froze it. When we defrosted it, it had separated. I had taken the pulp out when it was made so what happened?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 3:36 pm
SouthernBubby, did you use a citrus juicer?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 3:52 pm
The juicer is called a Hamilton Beach Juice Extractor- Health Smart. The juice is good but freezing ruins it. Why is this so?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 01 2006, 7:18 pm
I believe that kind of juicer is not for citrus, it's for cranberry, apple, carrot, etc.

orange, lemon, and grapefruit need a citrus juicer. it squeezes it, not extracts it. the extracting is the problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen