Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Lemon Squares

Chippies

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 8:39 pm
I've really benefited from recipes posted on this board, so I decided it's time to contribute. Here is a very simple yet delicious dessert from the Food Processor Bible cookbook. It's only about 5 minutes for prep time, plus 45 minutes in the oven.

Base
1 cup butter/margarine
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar

Topping
4 eggs
1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice (I use at least 1/3 cup)
2 cups sugar (I use 1 1/3 cups and it is still plenty sweet)
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Base: Process ingredients on steel blade until crumbly. Press into sprayed 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden.

Topping: Process ingredients until blended, about 10 seconds. Pour over base. Bake 25-30 minutes longer, until golden. Cut into squares when cool.

I also sprinkle a little icing sugar on top.

beautiful blessings

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 10:04 pm
Sounds yum! Do you use fresh lemons, or bottled lemon juice? Does it make that much of a difference? Does it taste tart, or sweet?

Chippies

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:58 pm
It's probably better if you use fresh lemons, but I've always done it with lemon juice from a bottle and it tastes really good. I add a little more lemon than the recipe calls for, and my husband and I don't like overly sweet desserts, so I cut down on sugar too. It's still quite sweet, but nice and lemony as well. You can adjust the lemon and sugar quantity depending on how sweet you generally like things.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:19 am
Would love to make these today. How do you think they freeze?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:37 pm
This was really easy and quick to make. Tastes very good, but not as lemony as I would have liked. Thanks for posting it. I would definitely make it again.

Chippies

Post Mon, Aug 10 2009, 9:00 pm
I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Sorry for not responding earlier - they do freeze very well. In fact, my husband actually prefers to eat them partially frozen. I usually just take them out of freezer 5 minutes before serving them. If you want them more lemony, then you can pour a little more lemon juice over them before serving. It's a little messier that way, but delicious!

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 5:41 pm
Can these be made with oil instead of margarine?

I am looking for a pareve and margarine free lemon square recipe.

Thanks!!

strawberries

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 4:13 pm
can these be made with oil instead? and how much
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics