Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sad/serious movies for Tisha b'Av
1  2  Next

Grace

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:19 pm
Any recomendations for movies appropriate for Tisha b'Av,

something maybe Holocaust related?

Obviously there will people who will say no movies are appropriate for Tisha b'Av but thats not my question, thank you.

NYmommy

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 4:00 pm
The great escape, Defiance & Schindlers List

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:24 pm
[quote="0181"}Schindlers List[/quote]

what about the music... (the pianist)

micki

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:35 pm
http://www.collive.com/show_ne.....ments

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:49 pm
I do not recommend "the pianist," I really don't know why it won whatever award it did. the plot was barely there, the scenes were not really believable, and the whole thing was way hollywoody. "schindler's list" was very well done, and "nuremberg" was very interesting, if I recall correctly.

elf123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:55 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
[quote="0181"}Schindlers List

what about the music... (the pianist)[/quote]

mummiedearest wrote:
I do not recommend "the pianist," I really don't know why it won whatever award it did. the plot was barely there, the scenes were not really believable, and the whole thing was way hollywoody. "schindler's list" was very well done, and "nuremberg" was very interesting, if I recall correctly.

Mummiedearest, I think Shaklee was trying to say that Schindler's List might be inppropriate for TB because there is a pianist playing music in the movie. Unless I am totally wacked out.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:02 pm
Yes, that’s what I meant.

momofboys

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:02 pm
inspire has a very nice film fot tisha bav

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:16 pm
elf123 wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:
[quote="0181"}Schindlers List

what about the music... (the pianist)

mummiedearest wrote:

Mummiedearest, I think Shaklee was trying to say that Schindler's List might be inppropriate for TB because there is a pianist playing music in the movie. Unless I am totally wacked out.[/quote]

sorry, I was aware of that, but the comment reminded me of "the pianist," which I feel is not worth seeing.
as for the pianist playing music, that's what a mute button is for. the imagery itself is enough to evoke emotion. I think spielberg did a brilliant job using black and white. the red coat contrast was really, well, brilliant. no music needed. if you're worried about missing some dialogue, turn on the captions.

Grace

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:18 pm
sorry what is inspire?

MidwestMommy

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:49 pm
I'm assuming momofboys meant the 50 minute movie by project inspire. If you go to www.projectinspire.com it's on the home page. I haven't seen it yet, but I may watch it tomorrow. A similar movie is "From the Ashes" which is a 60 minute video on the trip to Poland Rabbi Noach Weinberg took with 60 AISH rabbeim. It's excellent and very moving, I think. You can find it by going here: http://www.kiruv.com/FromTheAshes/

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:51 pm
Out of the Ashes - This movie still haunts me, so be careful if you're very sensitive.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:53 pm
another holocaust movie that was very well done is the boy in the striped pajamas.

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:53 pm
http://www.bangitout.com/artic.....=2582

JC

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:19 pm
Any suggestion that are appropriate for kids, I know its a long shot, but I know I will need to fall asleep during the day and Im normally ok with them watching tv or playing on the computer if I need to nap. But I dont want them to watch just anything-
Any suggestion of something on Netflicks or online that is kid appropriate but solemn and educational. They love the history channel and discovery channel type stuff. A historical/archeology documentary about the time of the Beit HaMikdash would be great. Any other ideas are welcome.

My kids are mature boys 10 & 8

lubmommy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 9:53 am
chabad.org has a whole section on the 3 weeks.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 1:41 pm
JC wrote:
Any suggestion that are appropriate for kids, I know its a long shot, but I know I will need to fall asleep during the day and Im normally ok with them watching tv or playing on the computer if I need to nap. But I dont want them to watch just anything-
Any suggestion of something on Netflicks or online that is kid appropriate but solemn and educational. They love the history channel and discovery channel type stuff. A historical/archeology documentary about the time of the Beit HaMikdash would be great. Any other ideas are welcome.

maybe paperclips?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 1:49 pm
octopus wrote:
JC wrote:

maybe paperclips?

probably too late to get hold of it, but the boy in the striped pajamas is kid appropriate. But you may not like the film. (it is complete fiction)

drez

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 2:25 pm
I hated the striped pjs movie! It played on my emotions to feel sorry for the German boy... while he was with all the Jews! Crying You feel sorry for the mother... I think it is twisted

SarahSpundah

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 2:36 pm
drez wrote:
I hated the striped pjs movie! It played on my emotions to feel sorry for the German boy... while he was with all the Jews! Crying You feel sorry for the mother... I think it is twisted

I have not seen this movie but now I am curious about it. The History department where I teach, at a secular school, shows it for their Holocaust unit. Does it really elicit sympathy for the Germans?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics