Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Teaneck, NJ - Brooklyn Couple Arrested after Leaving Child A
1  2  Next

happyone

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:09 am
YET AGAIN!

Teaneck, NJ - State Police responded to a 911 call from a driver seeing a small child alone in a vehicle.

The 2-year-old child was left alone in the vehicle while his parents went into Mini-Mart at the Exxon gas station on Rt-4 in NJ.

The couple who is from the Borough Park section of Brooklyn, was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of their child. They were just released and ordered to appear in court the coming Monday.

Community leaders are asking and reminding the public to be very careful not to leave a child alone even for one minute.

New Jersey Police department from all towns will be on the lookout, cracking down any violators.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:11 am
what is wrong with people that you cannot get it through your thick heads ... babies in cars is endangering at best at worst can be fatal ... what would you do then - when it's too late to save your child ?!?!?!

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:14 am
This goes right along with that thread the other day...

By the way, I also saw an interesting program on TV about women who abduct babies (so that they can pretend the baby is their own) and they said that these women wait until the mother's back is turned for one second and then go for it.

There are lots of crazies out there!

bubby

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:21 am
Most of the comments on VIN say the parents are at best totally irresponsible. But there are always those geniuses who don't think it was so terrible & anyway, those nasty, mean anti-semitic policemen are out to get us all Rolling Eyes

They make interesting reading. ss321, take some valium before you read! This may just finish your day. Sad

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:22 am
This makes less sense than that thread, because here one parent could have stayed in the car. It wasn't "sha'as ha'dchak."
When we make rest stops and the kids are sleeping, we take turns.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:23 am
both parents had to go into the shop?

BTW this can happen by accident as well...doesn't mean parents are criminals.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:41 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
This makes less sense than that thread, because here one parent could have stayed in the car. It wasn't "sha'as ha'dchak."
When we make rest stops and the kids are sleeping, we take turns.

I'm also thinking that if the parents were so unthinking as to leave the child alone when they could easily have gone in one at a time, they probably weren't hurrying or keeping an eye on the kid either.

SomebodyElse

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 8:00 am
Are riots planned for Boro Park this shabbos? Rolling Eyes

Inspired

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 8:05 am
Quote:
Community leaders are asking and reminding the public to be very careful not to leave a child alone even for one minute.
Glad to read that that is the response.

Good for the person who called the police. I hope it teaches someone how dangerous it is. The person could have kidnapped the child, or stolen the car instead of calling.

Lefty

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 8:28 am
SomebodyElse wrote:
Are riots planned for Boro Park this shabbos? Rolling Eyes

haha!
We dont have the Israeli blood!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:08 am
1. It can happen accidentally that one leaves their child in their vehicle:
When our now 17-month-old was 9 months old, it was bone-chillin' cold out. I had arranged for our 17-year-old helper to meet me at my house (this was prior to moving up North to Chicago from the South), to babysit so I could take a couple of my other ones to the optometrist for state-required school eye exams. It was already dark outside. Well, it has pretty much always been my habit to take any baby I'm breastfeeding with me, not as a rule, just as a 8 times out of 10 habit. Well, I pulled up into our driveway, she was already there waiting but hadn't let herself in. She came up to the van and told me don't get out in the cold, she just grabbed the tots who were to stay with her, and I then I was off.
Fast forward about an hour later, I'm sitting with my oldest in the waiting area while my son is in getting his eye exam. As is my habit, I called the house to check in, and proceeded to inquire about each child in her care. When I asked about the baby, there was dead silence for a moment, and I heard, "The baby's with you." I felt the color drain from my face. I was numb.
When bundled and in her carrier, she falls asleep. I also have the overhead lighting set so that it does not come on when the doors open, and my dh and I usually take the baby out of the carrier when we walk into to the house, leaving the carrier in its base in the car (I have mobility issues, at times, and lack the physical strength to lift the carrier much of the time.). I saw the carrier in the third row of seats, but I did not see the baby. It had been my intention for her to take the baby. I thought when I told her she'd be watching everyone but the ones getting the eye exam, that she knew that included the baby. I was also sleep-deprived, had a pounding headache, and felt strep coming on. Hubby was out-of-town trying to secure the position he now has, and I was just plain worn down.
Well, I went outside and sure enough, the van was still quite warm, she was still fast asleep, and was in no wise endangered. I brought her into the waiting room and just broke down quietly. My nerves were shot. Thank G-d we have tinted windows and no one saw the baby in the back seat. The LAST thing I would have needed was child services butting in. The receptionist handed me a box of tissues and was very kindhearted with reassuring words. I kept saying over and over I felt like such a bad mother. And, I did. I would NEVER ever do anything like that intentionally. I wasn't even sure why I failed to notice that she hadn't lifted the baby out of her carrier, until I realized that I never even turned around when she said "I've got 'em" and slid the van door shut.
It DOES happen accidentally with even good, conscientious parents.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:13 am
BOTH parents forgetting?
They do make a thing you can attach to car seat buckles that if you get too far away and the car seat is still buckled, it will beep at you as a reminder.

su7kids

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:16 am
He Sings, you are very lucky it had the ending it did. There are too many horror stories, and if people get arrested, or ticketed it will make others think twice before doing it. I thought it was just recently on the news and advisories and telling people that this is going to be an arrestable offense. Of course, if you arrrest the parents, does the child go with them to jail, too?

We should stop making excuses. There was a time when car seats were not used and then it became the law, and it made sense, and people were fined when kids were not in car seats, and now, you can't even leave the hospital without one. You hardly EVER see anyone with children not in car seats.

Its an evolution, and if Frum people are going to be irresponsible and not follow the law, then they're going to be the ones getting arrested, so no need to cry antisemitism (as many of the commentators on VIN did). Just behave responsibly and then you won't be a Jew who gets arrested.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:20 am
I could've used one of those! I was a basket case for days afterward.
Frankly, I don't think the two the news article was about forgot...I think they were just plain "flighty". As someone else mentioned above, take turns going in!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:45 am
Look, you had an accident, stressed out, overhwelmed we have all made poor parenting mistakes. But completely understandable.

This story is about TWO adults who opted to go SHOPPING at a gas station... What were they going to eat?

Contraband Snickers and Milky Way??!

Sorry---

Would she leave her purse on a seat in plain view? Or would he leave his Iphone on his seat??

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:47 am
someone on vin says he leaves off his left shoe when he drives with a baby so he won't forget it!

Or - put your handbag near the baby.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:52 am
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
Frankly, I don't think the two the news article was about forgot...I think they were just plain "flighty". As someone else mentioned above, take turns going in!
Hee hee, that was me also Smile

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:55 am
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

sounds a fright ...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Hug }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 10:13 am
Thanks for the hug, Greenie! You've always been one person on here that I can count on,with your razor-sharp wit, to make me laugh, so hugs from you are extra special...Here's one back at ya, girl Hug !

NotSoNewKallah

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 10:28 am
DiznyIma wrote:
This goes right along with that thread the other day...

By the way, I also saw an interesting program on TV about women who abduct babies (so that they can pretend the baby is their own) and they said that these women wait until the mother's back is turned for one second and then go for it.

There are lots of crazies out there!

In the hospital where I had my baby, they have very very high security in the maternity ward. Like an alarm on the babys foot, that if it even gets a drop wet, the alarm goes off and all of the hospital security is there. so I asked the nurse why its like that and she told me that many times ppl are so desperate for a baby and they have tried to kidnap babies from the hospital!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics