Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do your co workers know you wear a sheitel?
1  2  Next

Frumom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:27 am
I haven't told mine, but I think somehow they know. Not sure, but either way I would never tell them.

nicole81

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:37 am
I work for a jewish company so they know when I wear one. (but I always wear tichels anyway.) my cousin, who usually wears a cap, sometimes throws her coworkers a curveball by wearing a sheitel once a month. she told me that every time she does that they tell her she should wear her hair down more often because it's so beautiful.

estherf

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:40 am
I felt funny few times when I mentioned that my hear was curly and everyone looked at my sheitel which wais relatively straight.
But I never mind explaining that I wear a sheitel. My hear is still attached to my head I am well B''H and the only reason I cover my hear is becaseu it is Hashem's commandment. So I do feel fine letting people know if such a question arises.

Frumom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:43 am
In general, if people dont know about the whole concept of sheitels, can they tell?

chen

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 12:57 pm
Frumom wrote:
In general, if people dont know about the whole concept of sheitels, can they tell?

Depends on the sheitel.
Some are obvious: "parts" that look like the seams in a skirt, e.g., wouldn't fool the most clueless person on earth.

OTOH some of the top custom ones --the kind HaRav Falk inveighs against--are virtually impossible to detect and no one who doesn't know about sheitlach would ever suspect. I have had women sit right in front of me in shul and not for anything could I tell. If I saw a wedding ring I assumed it was a sheitel.

From my experience, women are in general better at detecting a sheitel than men.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 1:03 pm
I have yet to see a shaitel that looks I couldn't tell the difference. the only time I wondered, was a woman that wore a fall, with her hair pulled over the front.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 1:09 pm
1. Women are better than men.

2. People who are aware are better than those who aren't.

3. Frum people who are aware are better than those who aren't frum but aware.

4. Even if it's painfully obvious, many still won't know because they're not expecting it. If a woman adjusts her sheitel in front of people who don't know, they often get uncomfortable--what's that lady doing? Wig? Oh dear...

5. I've been told I style my hair very nicely (and I guess consistently :-) ).

preggymama

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 1:13 pm
Once, I was at work and snapped one of the snap clips on my shaital, happens to be, that the maintenance guy was then in my office changing the garbage. The little clicking noise freaked him out, he thought I was cracking my skull or something. I explained to him that orthodox women cover their hair after marriage and that they often wear wigs as I was. He was SHOCKED that I was wearing a wig - I guess my shevy looks pretty natural... The funny part was how for the rest of the day the other guys on the maintenance crew kept walking by my office staring at my shaitel with disbelief all over their faces!

MMEC123

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 2:23 pm
I work for a frum place. I always wear a fall (sometimes hat, sometimes band) and fully cover my hair. I have had a number of co-workers who did not believe that I covered my hair and asked me. My fall is not even that nice and these are frum women who have asked!

ektsm

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 8:55 am
I think the JEwish ones do but hte nonjewish ones don't. They just assume I do because I am orthodox!

queen

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 9:11 am
I've gotten numerous compliments on my "hair do's"

JEWISHMAMA

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 5:25 am
I work in a garage with mostly men (non jews) and they all know I wear a sheital. They donĀ“t understand it but they respect it. which is the main thing.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 10:01 am
I work in a Shomer Shabbos office, so I assume they do.

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 11:53 am
This thread reminds me of a funny story, we were at the Canadian border about, I would say 20 years ago. I was a child. They decided for some odd reason to do a security check and had my dad open all the boxes in the trunk. One box was my moms sheitel box. you shouldve seen the guys face when he opened it and saw a wig. He immediately apologized, thinking someone had cancer, and let us through without another word.

soraya

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 7:26 pm
my co-workers did not know I wear a shetl. until I bought a new one! one lady said,"oh, your new cut looks great! I love the highlights." so I told her.

ektsm

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 7:29 pm
really?

Imama

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:05 pm
I don't wear sheitels, only hats and sometimes tichls. I'm a medical student and so work with lots of people of different backgrounds. I've gotten lots of questions, and comments (ex: "you know, it's not that cold in here, you can take ur hat off!").
It gets tiresome, and honestly, there are days when I feel like just taking my hat and throwing it out, and just looking like everyone else.
I've considered a sheitel but haven't taken the plunge...
Lisa

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 9:15 pm
Thumbs Up

Mine know! I told them long ago. I have switched sheitels throughout the years, so a little explaining was in order for those that didn't know.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 12:11 am
I dont work in an office but in hebrew skool I explained to kids bc they said "we heard orthodox wear wigs" I said I am wearing one and they were flabbergasted that a wig can look nice
my daughteri s 2 and says really loud alot when we r out, "mummy wear a sheitel, pretty, I like it" Smile

Mishie

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 10:45 am
I used to work in an office with mostly non-frum Jewish workers.
They didn't have a clue I was wearing a sheitel.
And they were so confused!!! They would say, how can it be that you're religious, and married, but you don't cover your hair???

I just took those as compliments!!!
Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics