Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
AHHH! My DD has nits AGAIN!!!!!

Queeniemom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 10:55 pm
how do I get rid of these darn it things? I need alternative ideas b/c she had reaction to prescription stuff dr gave her

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 10:46 am
Some kids are just prone to it. You should be doing a maintenance treatment of Pantene once a week or so.

NYmommy

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:23 pm
My dd had lice 2 years ago, I used "ol kinim" and never saw them again!!

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:37 pm
I live in a lice infested country. Whenever my son's hand goes near his head for a scratch I start looking through his head. (2 yr old with long hair) I usually will find a few nits only on very close inspection. I keep looking and pulling out until I don't find anymore. Then he goes in the bath and I use a LOT of conditioner and comb it all out with a lice comb. The process gets repeated until I don't find anything and I don't see him scratching. I usually check 2-3 times once I don't find anymore. This happens once every few months...the first time was when he was 4 months old!

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Some kids are just prone to it. You should be doing a maintenance treatment of Pantene once a week or so.

I do the slathering and combing with a lice comb in the bath every once in a while even when I don't see anything.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 12:42 pm
Right. That's for maintenance.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 12:08 am
I had this once a few years ago and I hope never to repeat the horrible experience but this is what I learned. The stuff that the doctors order does not work and it's also a neurotoxin which is extremely dangerous, google it if you want a panic attack, otherwise don't.

Use Pantene and slather the hair in it until it's thickly covered and completely white. Then start using your special comb to comb out the nits and conditioner at the same time, wiping it off on a tissue with each pass. Do this until all the conditioner is removed. Then wash out the hair well and handpick anything leftover. When you finish, comb rubbing alcohol throughout the hair and leave it on. Blow dry the hair on hottest setting your child can handle. Wash all the bedding and pajamas is the hottest water and dry on the hottest heat. Hide all the toys and dolls until either cleaned well or frozen for two weeks. Vacuam everything including your couches. Repeat each night until all is gone and continue the alcohol and blow drying after bathing each night for at least two weeks.

Yes, it's horrendous.

I hope this helps because it was great mesiras nefesh for me to write this since I'm now itching like crazy LOL Scratching Head

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 12:26 am
I started using dr. Fischer's comb and care shampoo, and spray detangler. I spray it every morning when making ds hair and since then I only occasionally find a nit or louse here and there. The Rosemary that the stuff have repels the unwanted guest. The good part is that its all natural ingredients and no invasive chemicals involved.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 12:38 am
for an alternative to conditioner I use mayonnaise. I think it is easier, but I agree with everything else everyone has said. Do NOT use the commercial lice killing shampoos they are all poisonous.

Mayo treatment for lice:
buy a new jar of full fat mayo.
slather on the kid's head, lifting hair to make sure that every millimeter of the hair and scalp is thickly covered.
Wrap kid's head in saran wrap.
Cover saran wrap with either towels or a snood.
Let kid sit for 2 hours.
Take them to the bath and Shampoo hair well.
Lice comb.

The most important preventive measure is to live comb them EVERYday (except Shabbat of course). That way the lice never get established in the first place.

I feel for you this is such a pain to have to deal with!

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 2:25 am
There is a product (I think it's Canadian) for sale in Israel called Resultz. My SIL picked up lice after travelling to S. America for a few months, and she said this stuff did the trick and didn't smell.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 3:35 am
Everyone gave great advice (what I do is comb every single day) Alll I want to do is join you in your frustration cause it is one of the most annoying things in the world AHHHHHHHHHHH

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:18 am
First - HUGS. Lice are so frustrating!

The last time we had it, my daughter caught it from the girl she shared a cubby with.

I used pantene/lice comb and then high heat hair dryer and then combed again.

On sundays, I make sure my kids have really good showers and that's when we cut nails, clean ears, and I comb and check for lice.

In school they have routine lice checks, about once a month or when there is an outbreak.

I also started using the Dr Fischer's "Sarkal" spray detangler, which contains rosemary, and bli ayn hora we haven't had kinim since - that's been at least 3 years without kinim and my kids are 7 and 8.

My girls spray their own hair every morning before they brush, and they are more heavy handed then I am when it comes to spraying.

I know its far more endemic in EY, but many mothers I know there just lice comb every day after the bath. (I had it 3 times in 2 months while I was in EY in yeshiva!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics