Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
A cookbook- frugal kosher cooking?
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 8:17 am
My friend tells me that I should make a cookbook with frugal (and sometimes different) recipes.

Would that be the type of thing you would buy? Do you think something like that would sell?

shalhevet

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 8:39 am
I think it would sell, but only if you have original recipes. Most of the things you suggest (at least here) are pretty standard Israeli cooking.

natmichal

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 8:39 am
I'd like it and know quite a few friends who would too (but in Hebrew...). I'm getting fed up trying to figre out how to substitute ingredients for cheaper ones or leave them out altogether.
If already you're at it, ho about making it healthy too - I/e no or little marg atc?

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 8:44 am
shalhevet wrote:
I think it would sell, but only if you have original recipes. Most of the things you suggest (at least here) are pretty standard Israeli cooking.
Oh, definitely I have original recipes. Tongue Out I generally dont post them here because I have no reason to do so...

Natmichal, my friend who suggested it suggested that I have an "exotic" section, a "simple but yummy" and a "natural and healthy" section.

My cooking tends to be without additives, and I generally don't use margarine, etc... But I occasionally will call for a drop of msg free soup mix. I can have labels (or stars by certain recipes) saying "Extra healthy" or something like that for the marg, soup mi, and additive free recipes.

Tech_mom

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 10:50 am
Seraph I think that is a great idea - just one issue - remember those of us who are part of the target audience are FRUGAL Very Happy - so we will all be cheap on ourselves when considering buying a cookbook. You would need a clever marketing campaign to show how the cost of the cookbook pays for itself in a weeks/months time in cost savings of delicious and healthy and low cost meals.

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 10:57 am
Tech_mom wrote:
Seraph I think that is a great idea - just one issue - remember those of us who are part of the target audience are FRUGAL Very Happy - so we will all be cheap on ourselves when considering buying a cookbook. You would need a clever marketing campaign to show how the cost of the cookbook pays for itself in a weeks/months time in cost savings of delicious and healthy and low cost meals.
Heh. Frugal me doesnt own cookbooks. Ok, I own 2 but they were given to me as gifts. I tend to get my recipes from the internet... Tongue Out

I guess one big target for this book is people who want to cook more frugal but need ideas. Not necessarily the ones that are already frugal because they for the most part already know what they're doing...

elf123

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 11:01 am
That's so funny, my sil (here in the US) had this same idea, she even had a name picked out for her cookbook! Maybe you guys could collaborate somehow...there is definitely a big market for cookbooks, so I don't see why it shouldn't sell if done nicely and professionally....

Seraph

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 11:04 am
elf123 wrote:
That's so funny, my sil (here in the US) had this same idea, she even had a name picked out for her cookbook! Maybe you guys could collaborate somehow...there is definitely a big market for cookbooks, so I don't see why it shouldn't sell if done nicely and professionally....
Na, I wouldnt do that. I don't know how to share. Tongue Out
And I'm sure there is always room for two cookbooks out there. I'm sure it would be very different styles just because we're not the same person.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 14 2009, 7:09 pm
Seraph wrote:
Heh. Frugal me doesnt own cookbooks. Ok, I own 2 but they were given to me as gifts. I tend to get my recipes from the internet... Tongue Out

Same here... but if it's kosher and has photos... I might just buy it.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 4:03 pm
I don't think that frugal cooking in Israel is the same as frugal cooking in other places (England, U.S.) because of price differences on the cheapest things (in Israel, it's produce) so you may find yourself with a limited audience. For example, I can get colored peppers for 5.99 nis/kg (~1.60/2.2 lb)so I can make a decently priced roasted pepper salad. I doubt if people in the U.K. or U.S. would be able to make that salad for an amount considered "frugal". Cucumbers, at 1.99 nis/kg (~50 cents/2.2 lb) would make a very cheap salad but if you have to buy hothouse cukes at $2 each in the U.S., the salad won't be so frugal anymore.

Strawberry

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 4:06 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I don't think that frugal cooking in Israel is the same as frugal cooking in other places (England, U.S.) because of price differences on the cheapest things (in Israel, it's produce) so you may find yourself with a limited audience. For example, I can get colored peppers for 5.99 nis/kg (~1.60/2.2 lb)so I can make a decently priced roasted pepper salad. I doubt if people in the U.K. or U.S. would be able to make that salad for an amount considered "frugal". Cucumbers, at 1.99 nis/kg (~50 cents/2.2 lb) would make a very cheap salad but if you have to buy hothouse cukes at $2 each in the U.S., the salad won't be so frugal anymore.

I was thinking the same thing.

freidasima

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 4:08 pm
People who buy cookbooks have money, others as you write get their recipies off the internet so I don't know if it would sell.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 4:49 pm
The people I know would just buy a random healthy or frugal cookbook and adapt to kosher. Jewish books are too expensive.

Chocoholic

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 8:30 pm
Frugal people go to the FREE public library, borrow a frugal cookbook and adapt to kosher...

Mirabelle

Post Sat, Aug 15 2009, 9:14 pm
Strawberry wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree 100%. I feel like I spend a lot on fresh fruits and vegtables here!

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 1:16 am
Tamiri wrote:
Even if produce is less cheap in other places, it still is cheaper to make your own salads than buying them, no?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 9:50 am
Example, eggplant is not so cheap in the states, as well as chic peas. veggies in Israel are worth their money, they're delicious. In the states they taste like tomato painted Styrofoam. Also, turkey seems to be the cheapest meat in Israel. In the US, it's chicken wings and gizzards.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:14 am
Seraph wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Even if produce is less cheap in other places, it still is cheaper to make your own salads than buying them, no?

So then why do we need a cookbook? I already have a frugal kosher cookbook. It has in it recipes like make bulk brownie mix and biscuit mix to put in a container to be used in the future instead of buying the mixes.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:41 am
How about an e-book? It could be much cheaper because you don't have to print it, and people could have all the recipes right there in the book instead of needing to search the internet. Anyone who wanted could print it after they bought it. I would certainly consider buying such a book, especially if it focused on Israeli Frugal cooking.

ShanaMatele

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 10:17 pm
Consider doing a blog. It's free for you to make, and for frugal, frum mothers to read.

Good Luck!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen