Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Women's Amen Group

foffi

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 11:46 am
I would like to organize a Womens's Amen Group (bracha party) in my neighborhood. I live in Central NJ - Does anyone know who I can get in touch with to assist in this endeavor?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 12:51 pm
What's an amen group? sounds Xtian...
why is this is kugels and side dishes?

Ilovechoumous

Post Sun, Aug 16 2009, 3:37 pm
I held one for a refuah for a good friend. We had people bring in different food types- for each of the blessings. we put it on a big table and everyone sat down with a plate of food in a kind of big circle.
I compiled 2 pages from the internet and explained what we were doing and what each bracha represented. we started with mezonot, so the first person said the bracha, and we all answered amen. and if anyone wanted to say any names, we could. the thing is, you have to wait for the person to stop chewing before you move to the next so that they could say amen. if you are interested in what I read, pm and I will send it to you.
you can organize it yourself, its not a lot of work. just need a place where to do it and explain what you ar doing. if you want any more details....
good luck!!

foffi

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 10:13 am
Halachically, one is required to to recite 100 blessings a day - When you respond amen to another persons blessing it is equivalent to reciting the blessing yourself. Women amen groups meet daily, weekly or whenever and respond to each others blessing - more info can be found in the Jewish Action Magazine for Orthodox Women

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 10:49 am
I cannot see the appeal of meeting with a group of women (why women btw?) to say amen again and again... I suppose it's another cultural thing. Women here when they do meet others want to be inspired, interested, taught something or have fun...

zz-ez

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 11:54 am
Ruchel wrote:
I cannot see the appeal of meeting with a group of women (why women btw?) to say amen again and again... I suppose it's another cultural thing. Women here when they do meet others want to be inspired, interested, taught something or have fun...

I see you're from France. That explains why you've never heard of amein groups aka brochos parties. It's usually done for a zchus for someone. Like when making the brocha on fruit, we should mention it's a zchus for a childless person, etc. Everyone says amein to the brocha and I've heard of many yeshuos that came about from these brocha parties (amein groups).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes