Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholov Yisrael and Pas Yisrael

IM-MA

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 9:51 am
How is one supposed to know which products or establishments pasteurize milk at 212 degrees or which products or establishments are careful with pas Yisrael and bishul Yisrael--not with only using a light bulb?

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 10:08 am
by asking the mashgiach

yehudis

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 10:41 am
IM-MA wrote:
How is one supposed to know which products or establishments pasteurize milk at 212 degrees or which products or establishments are careful with pas Yisrael and bishul Yisrael--not with only using a light bulb?

It should say on the products. I would assume that if it doesn't say, they're probably neither, but you can call and ask. And with establishments, they usually have the kashrus certification on the wall, and it says on it.

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 10:45 am
yehudis wrote:
IM-MA wrote:

It should say on the products. I would assume that if it doesn't say, they're probably neither, but you can call and ask. And with establishments, they usually have the kashrus certification on the wall, and it says on it.

but I guess you also have to check with that specific hashgacha to see if they use the light-bulb method.

yehudis

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 10:47 am
0613 wrote:

but I guess you also have to check with that specific hashgacha to see if they use the light-bulb method.

What's the light-bulb method?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 10:58 am
Conc pas yisroel, whats the scoop on ice cream cones, and graham pie crusts if toasted again in ones oven. Anyone?

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 11:09 am
pas yisroel is only applicable to food that id fit for a king's table

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 11:16 am
Yea,and therefore ..... Confused

rydys

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 11:24 am
There are many different minhagim about what pas yisroel applies to, so be sure to ask your rov how you should hold. Many hold that anything made in a factory does not have to be pas yisroel, some hold even cheerios need to be pas yisroel so it is an individual shaila.

regarding reheating something in your oven, that doesn't help bec. it was fully cooked elsewhere.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 11:34 am
Freilich, this is the rule of the thumb, use your gudgement oand Rav to deside on details

There are also 3 opinions about bishul akum:
1. sefardi (striktest)
2. Vilana Gaons and
3. Litvish

the supervision is either 1 or 3, so those who hold by 2, can only eat where supervision 1 is avail

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 9:33 am
yehudis wrote:
0613 wrote:

What's the light-bulb method?

I think this is what IM-MA was referring to: In order to get around the problem of bishul akum, a Jew can add to the heat of the cooking that the [gentile] is doing. So there is some technology where a Jew (I guess the mashgiach) can call a special phone number at a factory and that will automatically turn on a lightbulb. This lightbulb adds to the heat (of the oven, or whatever else they're using to cook), and since it was done by a Jew, can circumvent the problem of bishul akum. Why is this done? So the Jew doesn't have to actually be in the factory (some of these factories are out in the middle of nowhere) to be part of the process. HOWEVER a lot of people do not rely on this method (sorry, don't know which rabonim/hashgachos do what and why).
See this article on star-k's website- 2nd to last ques. talks about lightbulb:
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....l.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen