Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Post shrunk cereal boxes, & Dr. Brown's raised soda pric

amother

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:07 am
While shopping at my grocery store I noticed to my dismay that Post shrunk Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa pebbles, waffle crisp, etc. down to 11 ounces from 13 ounces ! Mind you the regular price was 4.59. I got it on sale for 1.99 lest 50 cent coupons! When I called the company to complain, they said that they shrunk it because of WIC rules. What WIC rules?!!!! You cant get any sugar cereals on WIC! SO I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said she was "at a meeting" Lets see if she calls me back. It just bothers me that they are so full of baloney, and they have the Chutzpah to charge so much for 11 ounces!

Also, we usually buy the Dr. Brown's pre-priced sodas for .99. Gues what- the price is now 1.19- an increase of 20%!. In this economy, I feel that they have some nerve. Just venting from frustration. Twisted Evil

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:18 am
That is why there are generic brands.

Soda is a luxury. Well so is cold cereal, and sugared and colored ones are really junk.

sorry for having so little sympathy. I can't quite grasp what you are so upset about.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:33 am
I sense the indignation. Why are we paying more for less?
And we have sugar cereal on Shabbos. If the price is right(I.e. NOT 4.39) seems quite reasonable to me.

frumluv

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:48 am
I noticed that Dr. Brown's went up in price also. These days seems like we are paying more money for items & in certain cases, the packaging is much smaller.

Such is life....

TightRopeWalker

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:54 am
Shrinking products have been going on for a while. All the cereal I buy has been shrinking. All the brands have done it, including the generics. Corn Chex (all brands) have gone from 16 oz to 14 oz. Tuna has gone from 6 oz to 5 oz. The list is endless. Our net is less than a year ago, but our expenses just keep going up. Go figure

elf123

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:54 am
This is why you need to shop sales and use coupons. This week, Post cereals (not sure of the exact weight, the regular size boxes) were on sale at Walgreen's, 3 for $7. I had two coupons worth $1 each, so I paid $5 for 3 boxes of cereal. If you cut coupons and read the circulars (we actually get the Sunday paper just for that purpose) you really end up saving lots of money.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:55 am
Inspired wrote:
That is why there are generic brands.

Soda is a luxury. Well so is cold cereal, and sugared and colored ones are really junk.

sorry for having so little sympathy. I can't quite grasp what you are so upset about.

I believe you missed my point. This was not about buying generic brands, or that soda is a luxury. It was a vent about how items are being shrunk without us realizing it and the price staying the same, or in the case of the soda, going up 20% at one time.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:57 am
elf123 wrote:
This is why you need to shop sales and use coupons. This week, Post cereals (not sure of the exact weight, the regular size boxes) were on sale at Walgreen's, 3 for $7. I had two coupons worth $1 each, so I paid $5 for 3 boxes of cereal. If you cut coupons and read the circulars (we actually get the Sunday paper just for that purpose) you really end up saving lots of money.

I got it at Pathmark for 1.99 each, less 1.00 of 2 coupons. You are right. Sales are the way to again but its unbelievable how they sort of "cheat " us without us sometimes realizing it!

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:05 am
I never pay more than .99 for a soda ... the black cherry is $1.19 the cream & root beer are still .99

they did it to hellman's mayo from 32 oz to 30 a few years ago and also to tuna cans from 8 oz to 6 oz ...

I would call back mr cocoa pebbles and demand they apologize for blaming wic ... and get coupons while you're at it ...

gryp

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:06 am
I'm waiting for the day when junk food is more expensive than the good old wholesome basics. Will it ever happen?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:09 am
Check your rolls of paper towels. Your rolls of TP. Everything has shrunk. Tuna, IIRC, used to be 7 oz. I think that's what the old recipes call for: 7 oz. can of tuna!Incredible Shrinking Cereal Box

Rochelly

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:30 am
GR wrote:
I'm waiting for the day when junk food is more expensive than the good old wholesome basics. Will it ever happen?

ya I'm with you on that.... its so much more expensive to make a fruit salad than a cake!!!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:42 am
greenfire wrote:
I never pay more than .99 for a soda ... the black cherry is $1.19 the cream & root beer are still .99

they did it to hellman's mayo from 32 oz to 30 a few years ago and also to tuna cans from 8 oz to 6 oz ...

I would call back mr cocoa pebbles and demand they apologize for blaming wic ... and get coupons while you're at it ...

Greenfire, I am not doene with them by any means. Especially once they gave me this garbage about WIC.... They will be sorry they started up with me!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics