Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What should I do with my bowties?

sarahd

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 6:58 pm
I bought bowtie noodles because I was planning on serving noodles with cabbage Friday night. I can't find the prepared cabbage in my freezer and now that I think of it I seem to recall having thrown it out last time I cleaned my freezer. I won't have time tomorrow to prepare more cabbage - what else can I do with the bowties to dress them up so I can serve them to guests?? Not kasha, dh and kids won't touch it.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:42 pm
sesame noodles is always a hit. I think the recipe is vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, sesame seeds and some spring onions. maybe someone else has a more exact recipe. (the recipe calls for exotic things like sesame oil and rice vinegar but I just use whatever I have and it comes out great)

sarahd

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:45 pm
You think that would work with bowties? I always use more spaghetti-like pasta for such a salad.

wanderer

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:47 pm
How about with breadcrumbs?

sarahd

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:56 pm
Not a bad idea at all! How come I didn't think of that myself? Am I crazy if I add some sugar and allspice to the crumbs to jazz it up? How would that go with roast chicken and garlic-mushroom snap peas?

YALT

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 7:59 pm
I once had somewhere bowties with sauteed onions. I think I remember really liking it. But never got the recipe, and don't even remember where I ate it.
If anyone has that recipe, I think it would make 2 of us happy.

sunspot

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 8:14 pm
bowties with fried cabbage!!

3Qts

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 8:14 pm
Ground Walnuts with Sugar

beautiful blessings

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 8:15 pm
This recipe is for egg noodles (the small tiny ones) but I've made it with bow-ties too:

Saute a diced onion til translucent.
Add a little salt and paprika (enough salt that it has a good taste, and paprika that it has a nice light reddish color.)

Cook up bow-ties, drain, and mix with onions.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 8:58 pm
I assume you're talking about small-ish ones. Kasha and bowties always does the trick for us.
If what you have are large bowties, then I'd just use it for either pasta salad or serve hot with nice pesto, or with smoked salmon.

wanderer

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 9:00 pm
sarahd wrote:
Not a bad idea at all! How come I didn't think of that myself? Am I crazy if I add some sugar and allspice to the crumbs to jazz it up? How would that go with roast chicken and garlic-mushroom snap peas?

Yeah, I actually make it somewhat like that. I fry breacrumbs in a little bit of oil, with some sugar, until crumbs are browned. Add the pasta, and toss, and flavor however you like. :-) We love it here with everything.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 9:50 pm
you could always send me the kasha Wink

chilled

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:00 pm
sarahd wrote:
I bought bowtie noodles because I was planning on serving noodles with cabbage Friday night. I can't find the prepared cabbage in my freezer and now that I think of it I seem to recall having thrown it out last time I cleaned my freezer. I won't have time tomorrow to prepare more cabbage - what else can I do with the bowties to dress them up so I can serve them to guests?? Not kasha, dh and kids won't touch it.

Saute all cubed peppers, all colors are fine, and zuchinni, if you have. Then put salt and soy sauce and mix the cooked noodles in. It's like orzo, and it's festive, pretty, and delicious, without being too exotic.

sarahd

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:46 am
So I took colorful's idea, made the bowties with breadcrumbs plus a bit of sugar and a touch of allspice. For a change, I used the right amounts of everything and didn't burn the breadcrumbs. It all looks and tastes great. Thanks, colorful!

green, you can come and eat the kasha with me here. Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 10:07 am
deal Mr. Green

wanderer

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 12:39 pm
Glad it worked out for you! Good Shabbos :-)

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 3:38 pm
Next time: Dill dip, toss it up, Mmmmmmmmmmm!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes