Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What is considered a speech problem for a 2 year old?

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:10 pm
My oldest daughter was speaking in full understandable sentences by 2.5. I am trying not to compare, so I need to know what is normal. My 2nd dd doesn't have trouble with a particular sound (that I've noticed), but her speech is pretty garbled & I'm the only one who understands everything she says. She gets very frustrated/aggressive sometimes & I have to calm her down & ask her to use her words. Some examples of her speech include: chewos- cheerios, clockit- chocolate, mamore- more, awecome- you're welcome, breckis- breakfast, dadoo- thank you. She also doesn't have words for many things & she'll point & say "want this" or "have it". I'm dealing with this at the same time that I'm observing possible motor/sensory issues with my youngest & so I feel that I don't really have a handle on anything. TIA for your help.

anonymom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:23 pm
from my own experince , most of my kids spoke by age 1, but 1 did not start saying words until 2, but between age 2 & 3, he made great progress.

The first thing I would do in your case is rule out a ear or hearing problem because if she is not hearing clearly, she will not speak clearly. It can be as simple as fluid in the ear.

Have you asked your pediatrician about it? They can usually advise on what is normal and where to go next.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:33 pm
there is no hearing problem. she can hear a pin drop across the street. she's also never had an ear infection. but thanks for the advice. I have a call into my ped.

marina

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:39 pm
a child should have 50 words by the time he is two years old. It doesn't matter if these are words only you can understand, as long as you can tell they are separate words, it is fine. I would write them down on a list on the fridge and count them. If it is a lot less than 50, then I would speak to a physician.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:46 pm
that's a good idea, marina. thanks.

Yael

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:47 pm
my son had one word in his vocabulary when he turned two. the word Bye.

there is nothing wrong with him, and I am confident he will speak normally sometime after he turns 3 years old.
everyone I have ever asked about him, says it happens, its normal, my sister, neighbor, son, etc was the same way and spoke fine after 3.
his understanding is excellent, and he does communicate with sounds but no words.
my doctor told me not to get worried until age 3. a few months later he is starting to use a couple of words though not very frequently. I continuously see that he is progressing but at his own pace.

my other son spoke very mumbled at 2. though he did have a nice number of words, and eventually spoke normally.
years later I found out he has fluid in his ears because of very enlarged adenoids and he eventually had them removed. there were many times he couldnt hear me properly because of fluid or wax.
I dont know if he had the same problem when he was just 2 (he could hear fine then) but its possible that its why his words were so jumbled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics