Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nurses and wearing Scrubs
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:16 pm
So I am doing volunteer hours towards my nursing degree.

Majority of nurses just wear pants scrubs, I actually worked with two frum women on a unit. They told me that they started wearing scrub skirts, but that when you have to run quickly or lift something that it was more of a hinderance than anything.

I even remember in Israel, when I went to visit my Rabbi's wife in the hospital to see what nursing was like in israel. She wore scrub pants also.

More than likely to gain experience I will end up working in a hospital unit not a clinic setting. I understand in a clinic setting that it could be easier to wear a scrub skirt..

Please do not respond if you are not a nurse, as you cannot understand this question.

Thank you to the nurses for your responses Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:46 pm
One of our members here is a dental hygentist and described a similar situation. What are you looking for; chizuk? Heterim? Discussion ?

Nicole

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:48 pm
my current job does not require hospital garb, so not applicable right now. But I did an externship on a postpartum unit and wore a scrub skirt. I didn't have any trouble. I would feel very strange in scrub pants, though I have seen frum women wearing them. I feel that this is a question for a rav. I don't know why frum women would wear them home from work, openly on the streets, as I see occasionally.

tziganka

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:53 pm
I'm in nursing school and have been doing my clinicals in Maimonides where there are a lot of frum people on staff. I noticed more then a few nurses in scrubs/pants and shaitals/tichals. I think it is technically allowed, but am not sure. I've been wearing that horrible Nursing uniform skirt with the white stockings. I've heard all the arguments about running and lifting but so far I have not found them to be true. My only problem is that the scrubs are much cuter then the skirts and stockings.

One thing I know from having a lot of friends in the field is that everyone struggles with this. Most of my friends have started wearing the scrubs.

Good luck!

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:59 pm
My mother's a nurse. She used to wear skirts but then when doing certain things, the skirt would be pushed up so the Rav said pants are "less worse" than the scrub skirt.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 2:57 pm
yeah I was wondering about that..

I have seen how the nurses run around, and it does concern me that wearing the scrub skirts would cause issues..

I just wanted to hear how other nurses or nursing students handle the entire scrub situation.

Guess I have to ask my Rav.

Plus of course I would change before leaving the hospital, if I did decide to wear the scrub pants for a job.

freidasima

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 3:08 pm
I"m not a nurse but there are tons of frum nurses and PT and OT who are in rehab where my mom is now after fracturing her hip.
Without exception they either wear loose pants scrubs or a little scrub skirt over the area where the crotch of the pants meet to cover it made out of the same white material.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 3:15 pm
www.tafford.com

I bought their elastic waist skirts to match my scrub top. I had a seamstress sew up the slit & take the elastic out of the waistband to add a drawstring.

Some people have long a-line skirts made, but my nurse manager didn't like that.

When I worked in L & D I was required to wear OR scrubs. I always wore a shirt under my scrub top & wore a closed OR gown over it.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 3:17 pm
I just wanted to add: I worked in one of the main hospitals in my area that about half of the frum Jews go to. I would have been humiliated to be seen in pants by anyone I knew, no matter what my Rav said, no matter how inconvenient it was for me.

Nomad

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 3:42 pm
not a nurse, but worked in a lab with animals and I needed to wear full scrub gear. Pants were also necessary because otherwise I could get animal waste, blood... on myself. I dont know if this is the same issues with nurses - that a skirt leaves the legs exposed..

anyway, I wore a almost knee length lab coat over my scrub pants. I know doctors wear white coats, but they sell other colors that may match with your scrubs...(you can say your cold..)

su7kids

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:15 pm
Is there any danger to wearing a skirt over the scrub pants? Made out of the matching scrubs fabric?

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 12:17 am
I wear a long scrub skirt that I made myself out of drawstring scrub pants. I work L&D (lots of bending and moving) and don't have a problem with showing anything.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:35 am
--

Last edited by ChutzPAh on Tue, Mar 07 2017, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:43 am
I'm a doctor, not a nurse, but have worked in ORs, ERs, hosptial floor, etc. where there is a lot of hands on work. I also did a lot of running, bending, reaching, lifting, etc. I bought myself a few scrub dresses, bought matching material and added sleeves, and lengthened them so they were midcalf. I never had a problem. In one med school rotation, a nurse did not want me in the OR without pants, so I put them on under the dress. Otherwise it was never an issue.

MOMMYRN

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:53 am
I work in L+D and had to wear hospital scrubs. I wear a dress and don't really have a problem. I never asked a shaila because I felt that if dresses or skirts are available then there is no heter. I also work with some frum ppl..including a male pediatrician and I would never want to be seen wearing pants in front of him.

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 11:30 am
I have found the hospital scrub dresses to be too short. In those I have a problem that even though they cover my knees if I am standing, forget bending or raising my arms....

Pizza

Post Sat, Aug 29 2009, 3:32 pm
I worked in oncology, and wore white skirts (a-line or some wide cut) to mid-calf, with scrub tops. My nurse director was fine with that, and with tichels as well (instead of a shaitle all the time) I guess it depends on your specific unit.

ss321

Post Sat, Aug 29 2009, 10:11 pm
MitzvahMom I hope you dont mind me responding even though I am not a nurse Smile

Heres my take-
I wear scrub skirts whenever I can. I ordered some XXL sized (XXL was overboard- L would have been just fine for me, I am about a size 4 for reference) pants, took them to a seamstress, and she made 4 drawstring skirts out of them, I guess what you would call "a line" 2 are long with kick pleats 2 are below the knee. I wore those throughout my OB and ER rotations.
My surgical rotation was problematic- they wouldnt allow scrub skirts in the OR (although when we "rounded" on patients, I always wore skirts and it was fine- wasnt the first and wont be the last).
In surgery, you are wearing s/t like this on top of scrubs (sorry cant find a full length image)
that is like a long straight "dress" or coat (ties in back) that reached below my knees, so I never felt too uncomfortable.
hope that helps somewhat! you are in LA iirc, which, not unlike NY, has a big jewish presence. so you wearing skirts wont be so outlandish. I think there might be more eyebrow raising in smaller cities where jews arent so "common," but who knows.

chavamom

Post Sat, Aug 29 2009, 11:31 pm
ss321 wrote:
MitzvahMom I hope you dont mind me responding even though I am not a nurse Smile

Heres my take-
I wear scrub skirts whenever I can. I ordered some XXL sized (XXL was overboard- L would have been just fine for me, I am about a size 4 for reference) pants, took them to a seamstress, and she made 4 drawstring skirts out of them,

I did the same thing, but made them myself. I am not a size 4 - more like a 10-12 - and I made it out of a L and it was just fine.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 9:01 am
totally would wear the pants under the skirt ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics