Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Which therapists would you recommend form Step by Step?
1  2  Next

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 8:51 pm
My baby went for an evaluation today. She is eligible for every therapy they have to offer. Physical, occupational, speech and special ed.

Which therapists do you recommend?
I had Melek Nathan doing the OT eval. I saw her name mentioned in my other thread and I found her to be excellent.
The PT- I don't remember her name. Marie or Marianne or something. I couldn't get a feel for her because the speech therapist was talking to me during the PT evaluation. But she seems nice. The special ed teacher was nice as well, but the speech therapist... ugh. I hope never to bump into her again. She was just awful. Showed me a chart of what my baby is supposed to be eating at 10 months and basically blamed all her problems on the fact that I'm still nursing. She kept going on how at this age she should be having 3 full meals a day, blah blah blah. How nice, I come for an evaluation because my baby clearly isn't developing properly and she shows me a list of things a normal baby should be doing and asks me why she is not. Rolling Eyes

In any case... I don't think I will get these same people as Adel's therapists, but I'd like some recommendations so I shouldn't get another one like that.

Does Melek Nathan do at home therapy, too?

Our service coordinator (Malkie Gottlieb) is nice. I don't know if we match personality wise, but I have no reason to change. Our social worker is Hadassah and she's great.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:21 pm
darlene janis (sp?) was absolutely amazing as a SPED therapist for my dd.

I went through a few speech therapists there and was unimpressed but my last one was pretty great. her name was meryl silber I think.

overthehill

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:26 pm
Another vote for Meryl- She is a TSHH, I think thats what is called, not a speech therapist, and as long as the child doesnt have any oral issues like choking on food etc. she can do it. This goes back 7 years ago and she was AMAZING with DS. She was not quick to label as others had labeled him with Apraxia, and she was patient and great with kids. Even though she is not Frum she knew all the right words- about Shabbos Yom Tov etc. Superb!!!- (And I pretty much fire therapists like I change socks- if the job is not getting done, I dont need them to just come and "play")

If a guy by the name of Ed Perez ( I think) is there, as long as you dont mind an amazing Hispanic- (also I think) guy- he is the one. He always stayed 45 minutes instead of 1/2 hour, never looked at the clock, was gentle and soft spoken and even if it was for a girl instead of a boy, I wouldnt care. Amazing as well.

LeoRafi

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:29 pm
As an occupational therapist, I can say Keith Van Tassle is an incredible OT, if you can get him you are extremly lucky. I shawdowed him for a few cases and was very impressed

bluesclues

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:34 pm
for siet we used gayle gross
we loved her

GAMZu

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:51 pm
I am SO confused with all the abbreviations and all.

I'm very new to this, and don't know a thing.
What is SPED, TSHH, siet?

Are all these people working at Step by Step?

bluesclues

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:06 pm
siet is special ed
gayle worked with my son from age 1-3

amother

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:07 pm
SPED= Special Ed (but on the paperwork you'll see it listed as SI - Special Instruction)
TSHH=Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped (but all the speech therapists I know are SLP's (Speech and Language Pathologists) as well as TSHH's. (On the paperwork it will be called ST - Speech Therapist)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:08 pm
and SEIT is Special Ed for kids ages 3-5, not early intervention, and step by step is only early intervention (under age 3)

bluesclues

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:11 pm
ok so gayle was a sped si

Sleep

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:13 pm
Ok-here are the abbreviations-SPED stands for special educator-in EI it is really called SI-special instruction. TSSH-teacher of speech and hearing. It is a license that is not given anymore-and was given to speech majors who finished their BA-while doing their masters. SEIT-is a special educator that works with preschool children in the classroom-this is not for EI. As for the speech evaluator-I can guess who you are talking about. She evaluated my children and does not have the greatest bedside manner. I actually requested her-because I know her personally-and she is known to approve almost any child to receive services. I am a speech therapist myself and disagree with her a lot of the time-and she makes every child appear extremely delayed-which is great if you want to get services. Basically-ignore what she says and thank her for the eval-you will probably never see her again!!

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:19 pm
the people I mentioned work for SBS.

mom of girls

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:53 pm
I have had therapy for dd-she was a preemi also thru step by step. they have great therapists. I know the speech/feeding therapist you are talking about. She is amazing with kids that have major/medical feeding issues. She is a wonder therapist, thou I didn't fall for her the way you didn't either. She does give a very poor impression but really know her stuff. I can't say she is always right, not with your lil princess either. Maybe she just wanted to get her point across to you the wrong way. Any way the Thursday team they have as evaluators are all the top. Melek is a doll! Speak to your service coordinator about having her on your case. She might not service your area or have a full caseload.
For a sped Mary McClellen is amazing. She is irish and speaks a fluent yiddish. Tell your s.c. that you want her cuz she might have space on her caseload.
For ot Jill Anderson (I had for my daughter) is one of the top ot's. or Esther Husarsky is also great.
for st Sharon Golden,
pt-if you want a man Jonathan Orgel
Your service coordinator is really great! she will get you great therapists. Just stick with her!

GAMZu

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 12:57 am
Thank you all so much. This is a great help!

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 7:47 am
Rivka Steinmetz was my sons PT when he was very young. She was really sweet and down to earth.

I am sorry to hear that the lady there blamed your daughters difficulties on still nursing, that's ridiculous. We both know thats not true.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 9:10 am
My son receives all his services through Step by Step and we have some great therapists working with him but I don't think they service your neighborhood.
You can pm me though. I don't think there's any use in me posting their names.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 9:15 am
Also, the therapists who do the evaluations are often just evaluators and won't come to your home.
And don't forget about YOUR role. If you are not happy/comfortable with a particular therapist working with your child ask for someone else!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 9:18 am
I had Chanie Margulies for speech for one child & Kristina (from the Phillepines - sp?) for PT for another. Both were absolutely amazing. Problem is, I'm in CH & I think therapists tend to work all day in 1 area.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 10:00 am
Thanks.
Shopaholic, I was told that many therapists will be free now because when children end therapy, they end in August. Now everyone is regrouping. So I can just have a list of therapists that you guys recommended and they will give me whoever is available.

Does Melek Nathan also do therapy, or only evaluations?

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 2:57 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Thanks.
Shopaholic, I was told that many therapists will be free now because when children end therapy, they end in August. Now everyone is regrouping. So I can just have a list of therapists that you guys recommended and they will give me whoever is available.

Does Melek Nathan also do therapy, or only evaluations?

Usually, evaluators do not do home-based therapy. However see who they assign to your case. You can always switch. From my experience, you don't know WHAT you want to change, unless you've had therapy for an average of 6 weeks. In this time, use every moment to observe, learn and ask questions. Network with other moms and ask “did you ever notice that when the therapist does X, my baby then X much better (or worse)”. You will learn a lot and will then know if you want to change, add, take away something etc.

One of my kids began therapy with a top therapist and it brought out really negative issues. I was ready to flee from that group but after speaking to others, I learned what it meant, what I should do about it… Every child is unique, every child has different issues, and every issue needs a different therapist. Some kids need someone to be tough with them, others need a very light approach. You really know nothing yet, give it a shot. Even though you may not get the ‘best’ the first time around, play with it. Learn. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics