Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What could it be- and bad timing
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 3:18 am
Due soon and now my son is sick and the doc doesnt know what is wrong with him.
He woke up 4 times last night, and each time only went back to sleep when I rocked him in my arms. He was miserable. He woke up at 5:50 this morning (usually wakes around 7-7:30).
He felt very warm, but I didnt measure his temperature.
He was miserable this morning; I asked him what hurts, asked if his ears hurt. He said they did. (Then again, he also said his eyes hurt and his mouth hurt and his nose hurts, so who knows... Rolling Eyes Wink Confused )
I gave him tylenol/acamol because he was so miserable, and then made him an appt for the doctor.

Right before he left, he threw up. (He hadn't eaten anything to upset his stomach, and didnt cough first, so it wasnt triggered by that. He only had drank fennel tea this morning.)

Doc looked at him, couldn't see what was wrong, said he didnt even have a fever. Well duh, we gave him acamol, but the person who took him to the doc forgot to mention that.

I'm getting stressed. I don't know what is wrong with my son... and I'm due any day. I am having a hard time emotionally dealing with a sick son who is miserable and waking up numerous times a night (last night, between 6:30 and midnight he woke up 4 times...) especially when any second I can go into labor.... And its even more stressful to not even know what is wrong...

hila

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 3:25 am
did he do a strep test ?

it maybe just a virus

Refua shlema

shalhevet

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 3:27 am
Our ped always says it's a waste of time bringing children in with a fever if they've had it for less than 24 hours - he can only see most things (ear, throat etc) after 24 hours.

Also sometimes it's just a virus that comes and goes in a day or two and nothing much you can do except daven.

And besha'a tova. Remember, Someone up there is running everything.

e1234

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 3:28 am
refuah sheleiima -- it can be stressful.
I remember having this before - just keep checking him out and leave very clear instruction with whoever might get left with him with how much acamol and if he is put on antibiotics - clear instructions with how much he gets.
it does sound like it could be a flu.

cubbie

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 3:36 am
Could he be getting his back mollers - he's the right age for them and they come with all sorts of side effects.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 4:06 am
cubbie wrote:
Could he be getting his back mollers - he's the right age for them and they come with all sorts of side effects.
No, not getting his back molars. He only recently got his first set of molars, doesnt have his canines yet. Back molars are no where near.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 4:07 am
shalhevet wrote:
Our ped always says it's a waste of time bringing children in with a fever if they've had it for less than 24 hours - he can only see most things (ear, throat etc) after 24 hours.

Also sometimes it's just a virus that comes and goes in a day or two and nothing much you can do except daven.

And besha'a tova. Remember, Someone up there is running everything.
I'm pretty sure this is day two he is sick. Two nights ago he also had a really hard night...

drumjj

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 5:16 am
/if ur not happy take him back to the doctors he might just have swine flu.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 6:42 am
My ds got sick with something every week I was in the 9th month.
Week 1: stomach something
Week 2: fever/cold something
Week 3: pink eye
Week 4: croup

Then, he got over croup, and poof! dd came and BH no more sicknesses (at least for a little bit).

I was also majorly stressing. Maybe that's why I was late...needed to wait until no more sicknesses Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:05 am
drumjj wrote:
/if ur not happy take him back to the doctors he might just have swine flu.
Don't scare me, please!

He doesn't have a cough, I looked up the symptoms of swine flu. That was one of the main symptoms listed.
He's just miserable, has a fever of 38.8 C (101.8 F). He's just lying there, with no koach, drinking bottles of hot tea, drifting in and out of wakefulness...
He says his eyes hurt. I'm not sure if because of a fever, or if they don't really hurt but he's just saying that because I asked him if his eyes hurt...

drumjj

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:10 am
I dont want to scare u even more but really the temperature being listless and eyes hurting cant they be signs of meningitus? if I was u I would take hiim back to the doctors again.

cubbie

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:16 am
It's not time to panic 38.8 is standard fever for anything at that age - over 40 is when you need to start worrying - and even then only if the acamoli/nurofen doesn't do anything to reduce the fever.

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:35 am
cubbie wrote:
It's not time to panic 38.8 is standard fever for anything at that age - over 40 is when you need to start worrying - and even then only if the acamoli/nurofen doesn't do anything to reduce the fever.
Well, I gave my son acamol about an hour ago, and he's still burning up now.

Now I'm starting to get nervous its swine flu. I'm in panic mode here... HELP!!!!

cubbie

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:38 am
Is there a doctor/ped on your yishuv that could come to your home to check him?

de_goldy

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:38 am
Even if it's Swine Flu - there is nothing to panic about. Swine flu has been overblown by the media but its really not so serious.

I would not be overly concerned by what you're describing. (obviously, I know its harder when you're mommy).

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:40 am
de_goldy wrote:
Even if it's Swine Flu - there is nothing to panic about. Swine flu has been overblown by the media but its really not so serious.

I would not be overly concerned by what you're describing. (obviously, I know its harder when you're mommy).
If you're 39.5 weeks pregnant, swine flu IS what to be concerned about...

drumjj

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:40 am
I have to agree that even if its swine flu so what. its just another form of flu. my daughter when she gets fevers like that just gets them and a few days later they go away. give him a wipe down with a cool cloth and pg he will get better soon

merelyme

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:45 am
Hi Seraph,
Swine flu isn't dangerous for most people. They're not even testing most suspected cases anymore, just treating it as if it's regular flu. If his fever goes down and he feels better with Acamol, that's a good sign.
You probably won't go into labor while your son is sick. He'll be"H be better tomorrow.
If you want, schedule another appointment with the doctor tomorrow and if your son isn't way better then take him.
I'm guessing your doctor checked him for ear infections and everything else mentioned here, right?
Fever usually goes up and a sick person feels sicker at night. Give him lots of hugs and try to rest this afternoon and when you can.
refuah sheleimah!!

Seraph

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:53 am
cubbie wrote:
Is there a doctor/ped on your yishuv that could come to your home to check him?
There is an emergency doc in the evening, but not in our home.

I just called the doc.

I gave my son acamol an hour ago approximately, and now his temperature (at the last check) was 39.3.
Doc said its very possibly swine flu and that I need to stay away from my son.
My husband is coming home from work to watch him so that I can stay away...

merelyme

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 8:58 am
As if you haven't been exposed already. Don't worry too much about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics