Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bad Diarrhea! What to give to eat
1  2  Next

faigah

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:10 am
My son had REALLY BAD diarrhea last night. I would like to know what foods are good to give as well as drinks.

Please give me advice. I'm clueless. Thanks

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:13 am
things that will stuff it. like bread, maybe rice. dont let him have juice, that will make him go. I think carbs are good now. how old is he? try pedialite if he's still little enough for it.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:15 am
cooked:

carrots
potatoes
chicken
apples (applesauce)
WHITE bread
rice

raw:
bananas

beverages:

not sure his age, if he is still on formula/breastmilk, then that's best, if he's older and on regular beverages, stay away from milk and juice. In cases like this, I do half water and half pedialyte (either mixed together or just given alternately--1 cup pedialyte, then 1 cup water, etc.)

One might have to keep this up for a few days/week.

Also, once things settled down, maybe a little acidopholous/phosphorous/potassium--obviously talk to a dr. the acidopholous is a probiotic bc the natural balance of bacteria in the digestive tract can get messed up from a hit to the system. Also, phosphorous/potassium can get knocked out of whack. Of course, run it by the ped.

supermama2

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:24 am
I think they call it the B.R.A.T. diet.. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.

mother2b

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:51 am
Ricecake

faigah

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:55 am
Love My Babe wrote:
things that will stuff it. like bread, maybe rice. dont let him have juice, that will make him go. I think carbs are good now. how old is he? try pedialite if he's still little enough for it.

He is three years old. what do you suggest I give him to drink.

abismommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:55 am
Pedialyte singles come in an apple juice flavor that my almost 3-y.o. daughter LOVED - she refused the red or orange, but this kind she drank tons, and even though she lost like 2 pounds because she had a bad stomach virus (and she's tiny to begin with), she didn't get dehydrated, BH. I didn't find it in cvs or a big chain grocery store like shoprite, but king kullen had it.

Dance2it

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 10:00 am
My dr. says BRAT diet- Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast. Refuah Sheleimah!

happy lady 7

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:09 am
rice is very good also there is pediyalite ice pops with a few flavors

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:11 am
Dance2it wrote:

raw apples wll cause more diarrhea....like most raw fruits

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:23 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Dance2it wrote:

Raw grated apples are great for diarrhea. Just leave the grated apples out to brown a bit, before serving the the sick child.
You should really only stick to the BRAT diet, and try not to serve anything else at the beginning.
For drinks, serve tea, and Coca Cola left to sit out so that there are no more bubbles.
FYI, use 7 cups of water for each cup of white rice that you are cooking. The point is for the rice to get really starchy, which helps tremendously.
Refuah Shelaima!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Dance2it wrote:

Raw grated apples are great for diarrhea. Just leave the grated apples out to brown a bit, before serving the the sick child.
You should really only stick to the BRAT diet, and try not to serve anything else at the beginning.
For drinks, serve tea, and Coca Cola left to sit out so that there are no more bubbles.
FYI, use 7 cups of water for each cup of white rice that you are cooking. The point is for the rice to get really starchy, which helps tremendously.
Refuah Shelaima!

I didn't know about the browing...probably at that point the enzymes/fibers are breaking down, etc. like they would when cooked. not tried that.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:33 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Dance2it wrote:

Refuah Shelaima!

I didn't know about the browing...probably at that point the enzymes/fibers are breaking down, etc. like they would when cooked. not tried that.
My mother always did this for us.
But someone recently explained on imamother (I think it was ABC) that the browning forms pectin, which helps upset stomachs.

faigah

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 12:01 pm
thank you so much.

is ginger ale also good? that is the only drink I have at home except water and juice. I will later get pedia light.

BZBEE

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 12:03 pm
Potatoes, rice, toast and "flat" soda.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 12:05 pm
faigah wrote:
thank you so much.

is ginger ale also good? that is the only drink I have at home except water and juice. I will later get pedia light.

I think you can use gingerale.
Just make sure to allow the bubbles to escape (stir quickly with a spoon if you have to)

lucky wife

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 1:27 pm
I had the same problem with my dd I cooked up rice and gave her to drink the water. wonders! the rice itself she didn't want to eat

mltjm

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:48 pm
definitely try powerade for drinking-it's made to replace electrolytes that are lost by excersice, or in this case, vomiting. There are lots of different flavors to choose from and they come in cool colors, so hopefully one will appeal to your 3 yr old.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 10:14 pm
I have always found acidopholus powder to be extremely helpful when my son has diarrhea. they make it in kiddie form, the company is called Florastor. my doctor recommended this to me. you pour the packet of powder into his bottle, or mix it into baby food or applesauce, etc. Acidopholus is a healthy bacteria normally found in the body, and these powders therefore "restore intestinal flora", according to the pkg. It works.

Dini

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 10:41 pm
for the cooked rice that you make like ramom said, you are only supposed to drink the water of the rice which really helps wonders. I believe the rice itself loose all the good stuff since you cook for quite a while. I hope that your son is feeling better already.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics