Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need Broccoli Kugel Help

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:30 pm
I have a great broccoli kugel recipe that is made in a pie crust. I make two and usually freeze one. The problem is, either when it's cooking, or in the freezer, or when it's on the blech being heated up on shabbos, the broccoli starts to break away from the crust and there's this huge chasm between the crust (which then falls off when served) and the inside...any thoughts?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:32 pm
make it without the crust. if it's really a good recipe, it will be absolutely delicious anyway.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:35 pm
I never use a crust. The point of broccoli kugal is that it's healthy and crust is not.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:41 pm
I know, but crust is so yummy Smile And pretty.

If I normally bake in two reg. pie crusts, what pans so I use instead? 2 - 8x8s? 1 - 9x13? How much pan would it fill? I don't want a paper thin kugel...

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 9:45 pm
use a round pie tin without the crust. or try a 9 x 13, but the round one will probably look nicer.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 10:09 pm
Try making them in two 9" round pans.
That's how I make mine, sans crust.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:05 pm
flowerpower, im not so sure how healthy broccoli kugel is. depends on the recipe. lotsa eggs, mayo, margarine, soup mix....not exactly going into the Healthnut Cookbook. I am actually looking for a recipe that doesnt call for margarine or soup mix. the mayo and eggs are ok. but I dont use soup mix and dont really want to start, and same goes for margarine. anyone have healthier broccoli kugel recipe? does one exist?

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:08 pm
I keep hearing about people having this problem. I make broccoli kugel in a pie crust all the time and it doesnt happen. unfortunately, I don't really have a recipe. maybe try using an extra egg or one less egg and seeing if it makes a difference?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:11 pm
gold21 wrote:
flowerpower, im not so sure how healthy broccoli kugel is. depends on the recipe. lotsa eggs, mayo, margarine, soup mix....not exactly going into the Healthnut Cookbook. I am actually looking for a recipe that doesnt call for margarine or soup mix. the mayo and eggs are ok. but I dont use soup mix and dont really want to start, and same goes for margarine. anyone have healthier broccoli kugel recipe? does one exist?

I have a (kind of) healthier broccoli kugel recipe. Healthier as in no carbs, no margarine, no soup mix. It's delicious. There's a lot of mayo and eggs in there though.
Let me know if you want me to post the recipe.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:24 pm
yes ra-mom, I would take the recipe! I use mayo and eggs all the time. we all have to make our boundaries somewhere, and with me it ends before trans fats and msg, I s'pose. thanks!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:26 pm
gold21 wrote:
yes ra-mom, I would take the recipe! I use mayo and eggs all the time. we all have to make our boundaries somewhere, and with me it ends before trans fats and msg, I s'pose. thanks!!

Broccoli Kugel
• 1 (2 lb.) bag broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
• 1 cup light mayonnaise
• 4 eggs
• 1-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Pour into well greased 9" round pan.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes until set and edges are golden brown.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:32 pm
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes