Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO pumpkin (dala'at) kugel (freezable, sweet or savoury)
1  2  Next

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:22 pm
Someone gave us a whole lot of דלעת (pumpkin, I think) and it will go off if I don't use it quickly. I want to make kugels and freeze for YT.

I once had a sweet kugel recipe, but I can't find it Sad . I think it has honey, eggs, cinammon etc.

I thought maybe dried apricots would be good. But it could be savoury too.

No raisins or nuts please, because of RH. TIA.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:23 pm
a pumpkin pie is great !!!

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:33 pm
I made butternut squash muffins today from KBD. They have sugar (not honey) and cinnamon in them. I'm sure you can substitute it for pumpkin/sweet potato. In fact, I was thinking of trying it myself. If you'd like me to post the recipe, let me know.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:36 pm
Yes, please do. I think I am the only member of imamother who doesn't have KBD Sad

merelyme

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 2:36 pm
you can cook it now and freeze it to make into whatever you want later.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:18 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Yes, please do. I think I am the only member of imamother who doesn't have KBD Sad

Preheat oven to 350.

3 c. flour (or 2 c. regular and 1 c. ww)
1 c. sugar
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 T. vanilla
1 c. apple juice
1/2 c. oil
2 (20 oz.) pkgs frozen butternut squash cubes, thawed (or 2 med squash peeled, diced and boiled) *

Combine flour, sugar baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, juice and oil together. Mix together dry and wet ingredients until combined. Gently fold in cubes of squash.
Heavily grease muffin tins and fill with mixture, 2/3's of the way. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Using a knife, scrape along sides of muffins to release from sides of pan. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then tip over on to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely.

DON'T EAT TOO MANY. THEY ARE DELICIOUS!! If you do try this, please let me know how it turns out so I can make some for YT. Thanks!

* I weighed 40 oz of squash (it's always about 2 medium) and peeled, diced and boiled it until tender.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 3:36 pm
We just picked tons of pumpkins and butternut squash, so I'm also collecting recipes and making lots of cakes, soups, kugels, etc.

I like this recipe:

Pumpkin kugel

Around 16 oz. pumpkin
1 cup sugar (try the mixture and add more sugar if necessary)
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup flour
4 eggs
Cinnamon

Cut the squash in half and bake until soft.

Put all ingredients including squash in a food processor (or mash by hand).

Place in two square or one 9"x13" pan.
Bake at 350°F for one hour.

Pumpkin cake (or muffins):
15 oz. pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar (I use half splenda)
1/4 cup vanilla sugar
3/4 cup oil (I use 3/4 cup apple sauce)
4 eggs
2 cups flour (I use white whole wheat)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 quart blueberries

Bake at 350 for about an hour

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:50 am
pinktichel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Preheat oven to 350.

1 c. sugar
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1 T. vanilla
1 c. apple juice
1/2 c. oil
2 (20 oz.) pkgs frozen butternut squash cubes, thawed (or 2 med squash peeled, diced and boiled) *

Combine flour, sugar baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, juice and oil together. Mix together dry and wet ingredients until combined. Gently fold in cubes of squash.
Heavily grease muffin tins and fill with mixture, 2/3's of the way. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Using a knife, scrape along sides of muffins to release from sides of pan. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then tip over on to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely.

DON'T EAT TOO MANY. THEY ARE DELICIOUS!! If you do try this, please let me know how it turns out so I can make some for YT. Thanks!

* I weighed 40 oz of squash (it's always about 2 medium) and peeled, diced and boiled it until tender.

OK, they smell delicious as they are baking now. I cheated and made them in foil tins, and not as muffins. I also used all ww flour. I will let you know what they taste like Smile

Defy - thanks, the recipes sound delicious, but they have too many exotic American ingredients in them. (You can buy Tnuva vanilla soy milk here, but it would add a lot to the expense.)

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 9:35 am
shalhevet wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Preheat oven to 350.

1 c. sugar
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1 T. vanilla
1 c. apple juice
1/2 c. oil

OK, they smell delicious as they are baking now. I cheated and made them in foil tins, and not as muffins. I also used all ww flour. I will let you know what they taste like Smile

Defy - thanks, the recipes sound delicious, but they have too many exotic American ingredients in them. (You can buy Tnuva vanilla soy milk here, but it would add a lot to the expense.)

You could put juice/water instead..

JollyMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:41 pm
Pumpkin kugel

Around 16 oz. pumpkin
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup flour
4 eggs
Cinnamon

Defy Gravity- Can I use canned pumpkin for this recipe??

Its funny, I happened to have made the squash muffins last week for shabbos and though it tasted good, I thought it wa a weird concept- like it would have been better without the squash- and wouldn't make it again!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:56 pm
Yes, you can definitely use canned. I do all the time.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:22 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Yes, you can definitely use canned. I do all the time.

Fantastic! I'll be trying this for shabbos.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:11 am
DefyGravity wrote:
We just picked tons of pumpkins and butternut squash, so I'm also collecting recipes and making lots of cakes, soups, kugels, etc.

I like this recipe:

Pumpkin kugel

Around 16 oz. pumpkin
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup flour
4 eggs
Cinnamon

Cut the squash in half and bake until soft.

Put all ingredients including squash in a food processor (or mash by hand).

Place in two square or one 9"x13" pan.
Bake at 350°F for one hour.

I doubled this thinking I'd get 2 9x13 kugels. One for shabbos and one to freeze for YT. There wasn't nearly enough mixture, unless it's supposed to be a VERY low kugel. I got one 9x13 and one med loaf. Oh, and I tasted the mixture... it could do with half the sugar. It's very sweet but delicious.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:34 am
Pinktichel - your recipe came out delicious with the pumpkin (I cut off a corner and tasted before I froze) - I don't know which variety it is in America. Dala'at is very large and you buy a chunk.

I also mashed the cooked pumpkin and mixed it in with the rest, rather than putting in cubes.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:38 am
Dala'at is pumpkin...plain old pumpkin. Butternut squash is dalorit.

Forgive my ignorance...I know the inyan of not using nuts on RH, but raisins?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:49 am
shalhevet wrote:
Pinktichel - your recipe came out delicious with the pumpkin (I cut off a corner and tasted before I froze) - I don't know which variety it is in America. Dala'at is very large and you buy a chunk.

I also mashed the cooked pumpkin and mixed it in with the rest, rather than putting in cubes.

Great! Glad it worked out.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 7:30 am
Defy, is the kugel supposed to be a bit wet/raw? It baked for hrs and finally the toothpick came out clean. I just cut off some of the end, and it's quite sticky, but edible. Will it set more when it's in the fridge? I hope I didn't waste time/ingredients. Sad That canned pumkin was from my small supply that my father brought me from the US.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 7:34 am
Marion wrote:
Dala'at is pumpkin...plain old pumpkin. Butternut squash is dalorit.

Forgive my ignorance...I know the inyan of not using nuts on RH, but raisins?

The GRA said not to eat grapes. Don't ask me for the reason, because I don't know.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 7:44 am
So we don't eat grapes, or raisins, but wine is OK? I'm not making fun, just trying to understand what I see as a stira.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 8:08 am
Yes, and I even heard the reason. I think it's a very good question because I asked it myself Tongue Out

I don't remember the answer, but in kabbala etc (yup, even though it's the Gra!) the fruit is not the same as what comes out. Eg olives cause forgetfulness and olive oil causes people to remember. I will try to ask dh later, because he did answer me when I asked him a few years ago.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes