Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Gluten-free challah recipes?

daisymae

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:42 pm
Does anyone have any recipes for challah using oat flour? I just found out I need to be on a gluten-free diet and I want to be able to make a motzi on Shabbos. Thanks!

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 6:21 pm
I am guessing you know that if you have to be very strict on being gluten free, you will have to purchase the gluten free oats that a couple of companies make (Lara and Bob's Red Mill are two I remember). Not every gluten free (celiac) can eat oat flour either (but those allergic to wheat possibly could). I did a quick search and didn't really find anything, but perhaps you could take a GF challah recipe and substitute oat flour for the sorghum or rice flours. The texture and taste of the GF breads aren't bad (I say that after making several huge flops!), but the oat flour may throw off the texture as it has little gluten in it and feels heavier than sorghum and rice flours.

Hatzlacha in your search!

Shalshelet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:10 pm
Gltenfreebythebay's blog has great gluten free recipes.

Her Challah recipe is not something you can make motzi on, but maybe you could adapt it?

AGINY

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 7:21 pm
does spelt flour have gluten? If not I have a delicious spelt and oat challah recipe

Shalshelet

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 8:12 pm
AGINY wrote:
does spelt flour have gluten? If not I have a delicious spelt and oat challah recipe

all of the "5 grains" have gluten (except for uncontaminated oats - and even then not everyone can tolerate them.).

allergypro

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:42 pm
Weiss's bakery on avenue m makes rye bread that is gluten free. My daughter is highly allergic to a lot of things, gluten being one of them and she can eat their bread. Also, there is oat matzah - I think pomegranate sells it. I hope this helps u

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 5:33 pm
allergypro wrote:
Weiss's bakery on avenue m makes rye bread that is gluten free. My daughter is highly allergic to a lot of things, gluten being one of them and she can eat their bread. Also, there is oat matzah - I think pomegranate sells it. I hope this helps u

She can eat this rye bread? That's interesting as rye does have a bit of gluten. A regular rye bread is made with rye flour and wheat flour to hold its shape (there is lots of gluten in the wheat which makes up for the rye not having much gluten). Does their rye bread fall apart or crumble like cornbread or oat bread? Or maybe they add rye flour to a gluten free recipe?

KosherBakerMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:53 am
Here is my GFE oat challah recipe. I have started substituting about half the sugar with honey and it's even better. Please let me know how yours turns out! http://koshereveryday.com/2011......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics