Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
How to make slushy type iced coffee
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:28 pm
I've just returned from a trip to EY and while there became addicted to the slushy type iced coffee (such as sold in Sam Bagels in Yerushalayim) -- I know it is sold in bagel-type stores on the East Coast too (though not to my knowledge in my OOT city).

I realize that in the stores they have a special machine to maintain it at the slushy consistency, but I'm wondering if I can make it at home at least in single serving or to be immediately served quantities. I have both milchig regular blender and stick blenders.

What do I put in and how do I prepare it?

Thanks.

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:34 pm
I know there is an ice coffee mix you can buy, but I am not sure where. A friend of mine buys it here in Israel, but it is imported from the US- maybe the grocery store selkls it, or a place like Starbucks? If you make it with crushed ice from a fridge ice maker or get an ice shaving machine, you will have a more authentic taste. I have made it with ice cubes in my blender - its good, but not quite the same.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:38 pm
Thank you. I've never heard of iced coffee mix. Do you know what brand it is? And, BTW, we are makpid on cholov yisroel. The kind I am trying to duplicate seems to have a lot of milk (or cream?) and sweetening in it.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:43 pm
I don't have my measurements perfect but this is how I do it:

I put in a strong amount of coffee and splenda and vanilla sugar in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water. Then add about 5-7 ice cubes in the blender and blen until almost smooth. The I add some low fat coffee ice cream or frozen yogurt and blend. The trick I find hard is to get the measurements correct.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:48 pm
Thanks. I'll start trying it.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:51 pm
gotta tell you - my kids had one from a machine upstate ny and Puke it was horrible ...

my sister however made me one on a very hot day in brooklyn - and it was deliciouso ...

make a good ole cup of coffee the way you like it - then pour over crushed ice ... voila !!! Mr. Green

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:56 pm
greenfire wrote:
gotta tell you - my kids had one from a machine upstate ny and Puke it was horrible ...

my sister however made me one on a very hot day in brooklyn - and it was deliciouso ...

make a good ole cup of coffee the way you like it - then pour over crushed ice ... voila !!! Mr. Green

The fact of the matter is that I don't particularly care for regular coffee at all! The ones I've liked are only slightly coffee flavored (or even sold as "vanil" -- vanilla flavored with merely a hint of coffee) and milkshake textured.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:02 pm
so let's try again ... use 1/4 cup hot coffee ... add lots of milk/cream, sugar, vanilla, put in blender with lotsa ice ... cinnamon or chocolate is also good if you likey ...

sky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:10 pm
agree with greenfire then - don't make the coffee so strong, use less water and more milk. Add lots of vanilla sugar - I really find the ice cream makes the texture. And throw in some choc chips if you like some added 'crunch'

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:15 pm
sky wrote:
agree with greenfire then - don't make the coffee so strong, use less water and more milk. Add lots of vanilla sugar - I really find the ice cream makes the texture. And throw in some choc chips if you like some added 'crunch'

Sounds great. I've got to go shopping. I don't even keep vanilla sugar in the house (other than Pesach) and haven't even bought milk since I've come back.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:57 pm
not vanilla sugar
vanilla
and
sugar
2 separate ingredients ...

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
not vanilla sugar
vanilla
and
sugar
2 separate ingredients ...

Got it. Someone else did say vanilla sugar. I'll try it your way first since that's what I've got on hand. Thanks.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:08 pm
I did say vanilla sugar. I like vanilla extract better in everything - but I find in the iced coffee it needs the vanilla sugar - the vanilla extract didn't do it for me. If you have vanilla extract in the house try that first.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:39 pm
I use ice, milk, instant coffee powder and chocolate syrup or splenda or dulce de leche syrup (which is extra yummy). If you use instant coffee you can use more milk and it comes out creamier and isn't watered down. Another great option is to freeze brewed coffee in an ice cube try.

preggymama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:54 pm
What I do is make very strong coffee and then freeze that in the ice cube tray and then blend the frozen coffee cubes with whole milk and sugar and vanilla extract.
this way I get more of that milkshake like taste, because using regular (water) ice cubes waters down the thick milky taste
also sometimes I put in a little cocoa powder

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 7:17 pm
Make good coffee with sugar and milk just the way you like it, then freeze it in ice cube trays! Then, add a few cubes to the blender and enjoy!

mltjm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:50 pm
My recipe goes like this:
Fill cup you would like to use with ice cubes.
Dump ice cubes in blender, cover with milk, add instant coffee granules, sugar and vanilla to taste and blend.
Pure heaven Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 6:45 am
They make home slushies machines for around $20 at Target.
You can also freeze it in a bottle and shake it up to break into tiny pieces before drinking (my brother in law makes slushies every shabbos -- he freezes half a bottle of soda and the kids take turns shaking it up)...if it's still too solid, mix a little unfrozed cold coffee and blend it with it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 10:57 am
so did ya try one yet ?!?!?!

soldat

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 11:56 am
add ice cream!

I do 1 tsp instant coffee (from europe)
dissolved in 1/2 c. boiling water
add 4 ice cubes
a scoop of ice cream
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. milk

blend
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals