Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Deckel for yomtov...need recipe please!

gdgirl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:13 pm
I don't make roasts too much and I bought a deckel. what do I do with it? Please include clear instructions- how long, what temp to bake/cook at...etc.
I would prefer something with a sauce ( not just onions and spices)
TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:14 pm
Is it a plain deckel, or pickled?

gdgirl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:24 pm
plain, not pickled

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:34 pm
I think you should be able to bake it, tightly covered - but foil should cover pan in a tent shape so as not to touch the roast, for 2 hours, at 350 degrees. (Works well for most kinds of roasts.)

Some roast sauce ideas:

1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup honey
9-12 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large onions, sliced and placed under, on top, and around the roast

or

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup spicy ducksauce
2 Tbsp plum vinegar
9-12 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup parsley flakes

Make sure to allow the roast to cool before slicing on the diaginal.

This is for a roast that's about 5 lbs, so cook for shorter or longer according to the size of your roast.

gdgirl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 9:42 pm
Thanks- whats plum vinegar?
can I use regular vinegar?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 9:51 pm
You can use red wine vinegar as a sub.
If you don't have that, I would just leave it out. (It has a kind of tart and salty, so regular vinegar would give it a totally different taste.)

gdgirl

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:09 pm
thanks a million Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 12:02 pm
This is for a four to six lb. deckel. I don't really follow the recipe exactly anymore, just guesstimate. I usually bake a smaller one but don't halve the rest of the ingredients, maybe use about two thirds.

Take sheet of heavy duty foil. Place one large sliced onion on bottom. Put roast on top. Smear with quarter cup ketchup, sprinkle one and a half Tbsp. onion soup mix on top. Wrap up TIGHTLY.
Bake for 3 -5 hours at 325. (I've also make it in the crockpot, about 5 - 6 hours on high.)

What I do next: put roast in one pan or pot, the gravy in another. Refrigerate overnight. Slice roast thin. Skim fat off gravy, pour over roast, freeze. Comes out fantastic!

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 1:39 pm
Hi, I have a top of roast rib that I understand is the same thing as a deckel roast for Pesach. I have been surfing the Internet to find an easy sauce with wine to cook this type of meat in. We are very makpid for Pesach and do not have any soup powders and only the basic spices and wine to cook this in. Any help would be very much appreciated!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:27 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
Hi, I have a top of roast rib that I understand is the same thing as a deckel roast for Pesach. I have been surfing the Internet to find an easy sauce with wine to cook this type of meat in. We are very makpid for Pesach and do not have any soup powders and only the basic spices and wine to cook this in. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Not a sauce but a spice idea. I just saw this idea and tried a test run: Slice a few onions very thinly. Bake at 200 for a few hours, preferably on a rack (in which case may take less than 4 hours). They'll get crunchy but not burnt and you can crumble them for an extra onion punch.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:35 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:

This is supposed to be really good
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....=1917

Another option is to cook with basic spices and then rewarm slices with drizzled sauce on top like homemade duck sauce or sweet and sour sauce (made with minimal ingredients).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics