Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Keyless entry - Shabbos friendly? Need info/advice...

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:42 pm
I would like to have a keyless entry deadbolt put onto the front door of our new home.
I have a few questions...

1. Can any 100% mechanical keyless entry be used?

2. Are they as safe as a traditional key lock?

3. If I get the "regular" (electronic) type of keyless entry, with a key as well. Can the key part still be used on Shabbos, just not the code?

TIA,
Debbie

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 10:54 pm
We got one when we moved into our home and it was worth every penny (@ $90 installed if I remember correctly).

We used a frum locksmith and took his recommendation, so I am not sure of all the options available.

It is SAFER than a regular lock as it has a really heavy deadbolt.

Ours has 5 punches to punch in in the specific order we set; no electronic component at all.

We keep the second lock (ie - the privacy lock on the door handle) unlocked 24/7 (and just lock the deadbolt when we go out) and use the combination to get in all week long. It is SOO convenient not to have to worry about a key.

If for some reason the combination mechanism gets jammed and does not work (has never happened once in the 4 years since we moved in or to anyone we know) we can use a key to get in the back door; we will never be locked out of our home. [I guess on Shabbos that can be a problem if we are not carrying a key, but we have an Eruv and several neighbors of ours as well as my parents have our key.]

JC

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 11:06 pm
Do you have a back door?

We have the lock your describing, it is electronic and has a key. But the truth is we dont use it on shabbat bec we almost never lock our door when we are out. If we do we leave our back door unlocked.

I did not ask a shaila (I knew I was not likely to carry a key on shabbat anyway) but I did take it apart and the key mechanism seems to bypass the electronic part completely. But I am not an expert, I was just curious.

I chose the electric lock with key bypass over the fully mechanical 'shabbat' kind because I wanted to be able to easily change the combination without removing the lock. I also like have different combos for different people. Neighbor has one combo, cleaning lady another and family a third. If I fire the cleaning lady I dont have to make everyone else remember a new combo.

Since you would have to carry a key on shabbat anyway for the electronic one - why not just carry the key to another door (if you have one). I figure the 'shabbat' one was for people without eruvs who could not carry a key.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars