Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Dumb question - frozen veges - please help!
1  2  Next

Ima'la

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:02 pm
I make a fresh salad with dinner just about every night, but I'd like to vary the types of vegetables we eat - without investing much time/patchke. Frozen veges seem like a great option. Any suggestions for seasonings or cooking/serving suggestions? I'm looking for quick and easy - the best would be some advice as to which spices and how much I could put on different veges. Especially carrots, peas & carrots, green beans...I would probably be willing to splurge on broccoli/cauliflower once in a while, but it is much more expensive. Thanks!

solo

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:11 pm
-the best way to spruce up frozen veggis is to saute an onion (and garlic if u like) and then add veggis till cooked. season with lawrys season salt.
-my siblings like them cooked plain and them mixed with a bit of mayo and mustard so theyre creamy.
I like to season frozen cauliflower (while still frozen) with olive oil, salt, sugar, turmeric, and bake uncovered in very hot oven (suzi fishbeins caulifower popcorn)
-or spray a pan with pam add frozen greenbeans (any style) sprinkle with salt and pepper. bake high for 1 hr.
- or chunks of butternut squash sprinkled with cinnamon and allspice. sugar if u like. baked

newToNeighborhood

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:41 pm
I think this is in KBD Short on Time- cook a bag of frozen veggies in the microwave, pour on a can of cream of corn, sprinkle with French's french fried onions and bake for 5 minutes... tastes yummy and easy to do.

solo

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:46 pm
newToNeighborhood, I hate to be the party pooper but that doesnt sound like a very healthy use of veggies.
I think ur better of sticking to salad.
although I cant be sure, cuz I havent checked the nutrition facts on those onions. just assumed.
and to be fair adding mayo to ur veggis probably isnt the best option either. but if its just a little, and its reduced fat, and... Wink

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 4:55 pm
You're right, those onions are horrible for you.

For green beans, I usually just sautee an onion and garlic, add the green beans, and then spice with garlic salt and pepper.

I've found that sea salt and pepper is a simple and delicious way of seasoning steamed broccoli or cauliflower.

I love roasted cauliflower, just drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper - the only problem is you need a lot of it, b/c it shrinks!

Frozen peas make excellent pea soups.
Just sautee a large onion, some garlic, add sea salt, add the peas, then blend with the immersion blender.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 8:03 pm
I find that the mixed veggies of peas, carrots, green beans, etc. tastes delicious baked in a tighly covered pan, drizzled with olive oil and lots of salt

LookingForward

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 8:33 pm
I like the 'california mix' - broccoli, cauliflour, carrots. I cook them in water with a little salt, just until water boils so that it doesn't get soggy. pour out water and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, add bread cumbs. mix over fire until heated completely.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 8:35 pm
There are no dumb questions Wink

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 8:44 pm
bag of frozen vegies
2-3 spoons soy sauce
a few spoons soup mix or a thickener and spices
water

let simmer in a frying pan till the water, soy sauce and spices form a thick sauce.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 10:59 pm
I sautee garlic in olive oil with salt and pepper and then add whatever frozen veggies I'm using (green beans, brocolli...). I add a bit of water and cook on a low flame for about 10-20 minutes, depending on the vegetable.

I also throw frozen vegetables into EVERYTHING. I add a box of brocolli to macaroni and cheese, string beans to baked chicken, mixed veggies to rice...you get the point? Just add vegetables to ANY dish.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 11:03 pm
spinach-I cook it with a paste of garlic, oil, and flour-easy and the kids love it
broccoli-baked as a kugal or soup
califlower-as a kugal or breaded
string beans-just cooked
california mix-just cooked in little water and salt

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 11:56 pm
you guys are all brilllllliant.
A whole new world of vegetables...
Who knew??!

bnm

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 12:28 am
frozen brocoli gets turned into brocoli salad or quiche

e1234

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 1:43 am
why is onion bad for you?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 9:04 am
Not a dumb question at all!

Green beans--cook according to direction (always uncercook by 1-2 min). Toss with toasted almond flakes. Or make a dressing with equal parts of tehina (unseasoned), soy sauce, and orange juice and toss. (You may have to add a bit of water to thin it out a bit). Or chop fresh tomatoes and red onions and mix together.

Peas--cook according to direction. Add parve soup powder and chopped mint (can be fresh or dried). Or serve mixed with sauteed mushrooms.

Cauliflowers--serve with browned breadcrumbs and seasoned salt. Or cauliflower with cheese (similar to mac' n' cheese, substitute cooked cauliflower with macaroni)

e1234, it's not that onions are bad for you. It's DEEP-FRIED onions that have little nutritional value but all fat.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 9:16 am
I stir fry or microwave. for shabbos I cook green beans and add toasted nuts (almonds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds etc)

my kids love peas still frozen!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 10:42 am
e1234 wrote:
why is onion bad for you?

We're not talking about regular onions, it's those French's fried onions that are extremely fattening.

I also like the California mix from Bird's Eye. I always like to have big bags of broccoli and cauliflower on hand, and I always add broccoli to mac n' cheese and other dishes.

queen

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 10:57 am
fayge wrote:
There are no dumb questions Wink

yes there are...... Twisted Evil
the ones you don't ask......

(don't be afraid to ask...... ever)

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 10:59 am
LookingForward wrote:
I like the 'california mix' - broccoli, cauliflour, carrots. I cook them in water with a little salt, just until water boils so that it doesn't get soggy. pour out water and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, add bread cumbs. mix over fire until heated completely.

The only issue with boiling veggies is the nutrients go into the water and then you pour it all out. That's why steaming is the best way to prepare veggies.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 11:05 am
solo wrote:
newToNeighborhood, I hate to be the party pooper but that doesnt sound like a very healthy use of veggies.
I think ur better of sticking to salad.
although I cant be sure, cuz I havent checked the nutrition facts on those onions. just assumed.
and to be fair adding mayo to ur veggis probably isnt the best option either. but if its just a little, and its reduced fat, and... Wink

You're right, if your family eats vegetables all the time, the fried onions on top probably aren't necessary.

But if it's a struggle to get your family to eat vegetables, and you only sprinkle enough onions to juuuuust cover the top, it's a good way to get nutrients into them. If you cook healthy in general, a bit of extra fat won't hurt anyone much.

But you're right - if OP's family is happy with fresh salad and steamed broccoli, then there's no reason to make this dish. I make it as a special side dish for yom tov sometimes (not good for Shabbos becaus eit's too liquidy), and it always goes. I can't imagine it's that much worse for you than the typical vegetable kugels that use margarine or oil...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes