Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Walnut oil

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 15 2006, 9:19 pm
I bought walnut oil to use and my son gleefully reminded me that we don't use walnuts erev Pesach and the first day, until after Korech..........

Anyone know the deal with that?

mali

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 4:01 am
I don't think walnut OIL is a problem. the point is not to eat the things on the ke'arah, but walnut oil isn't the same as the walnuts in the charoses.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 11:06 am
so..in that vein, what about apple juice? it's not apples,right?

mali

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 11:49 am
I guess Wink
I actually asked a rabbi on askmoses, and he told me only matza and wine are a problem.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 7:46 pm
Well, that's obviously not true. Matza you hve to eat during the day, and wine you have to drink for kiddush.

It's customary to avoid the ingredients of the maror and the charosets; I just wonder how far to take this, that's all.

Some people put some of the horseradish root in their fish loaves which the rov toldme not to do..abd some people eat cooked apples not raw like for the charosets, which the rov said no to, too.

He said walnuts were for the charosets and to use other nuts like almonds for ice cream, etc., but that's where I ran into the oil thing....

raizy

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 10:44 pm
for some strange reason there is a walnut shortage in montreal. anyone know why?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics