Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
14 YEAR OLD AND MISSING PERIODS
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 8:46 pm
I know many people say its normal. I missed many periods and was old its normal I was given meds after 6 months to bring it on without any other checking it turns out I develop cysts and not pcos type and I had surgery the day after I turned 20 I almost lost an ovary all because until than no one wanted to do a sono to see what was happenning. They only discovered it when I showed up in the er doubled over in agony. I b"h have a child and another on the way but please have it checked out had my mother been more on top of my dr. I would have been treated medically instead of surgically and I'd have a whole ovary today not just 20% of I.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:23 pm
My first few years after I got my pg, I was always VERY regular except in the summer. I'd getin July and then it would be 6 weeks (not 4 like the rest of the year) and then at 2 weeks following. This happenned 3 years in a row, only in the july-august time, and then basically never happenned again until several years later when I got married and pg. The change in routine for summer I always assumed somehow contributed to it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:34 pm
A lot of people do not get their periods in the summer. If she doesn't get it by october then you can call your doc if you want.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:51 pm
Another sterile summer amother here....

When I was a teen, my last period of the jewish year was around shevuos, and the next one used to be somewhere around chol hamoad succoss....Then I would go regular till shevuos, with a break until succoss....It never hurt me or anyone, my mother didn't bat an eyelash, since she was told it is very normal for teenagers to have sterile summers...

Until.....

We were planning my wedding....Got it erev pesach, and according to my cycles, my post shevuos wedding seemed perfect....Only my summer cycle kicked in earlier than normal, and 15 days pre-wedding, Mom threw in the towel and RRAANN to the doc for pills, at that point, to keep my period from coming! These pills brought my summer periods, for the first time in my adolescent years.

However, I conceived baby 1, after I got my regular annual succoss cycle....

I'm married for a while now, and I've had many periods in the summer now, and many times when I least wanted them...And B"H, no fertility issues, and a nice beautiful family....

So for now OP, sit back and relax, and be happy for your dd that she can swim the entire summer without the hassle of periods...

May you see lots of nachas from her, an may she bring you many healthy grandchildren BEZ"H!!!

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:31 pm
different girls regulate at different paces ... also I would listen to how she wants to proceed ... my dd didn't like taking pills to regulate her periods - it messed more with her body than not ... and getting a period even without a regular cycle is still getting your period - so not as much of a worry as not ever having a cycle ...

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 1:16 am
I didn't get my period in the summer as a young teen and neither did my mother. But I had no idea it was so widespread!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:11 am
Chances are it's nothing to worry about.
But IF other symptoms present themselves and hyperthyroidism is suspected please PM me. There is a growing trend to treat hyperthyroidism even in teenage girls with radioactive iodine rendering them hypo for life instead of using the much less invasive anti thyroid drugs, which when administered properly (a big problem in the US) leave a patient with a healthy, intact thyroid.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:14 am
14 is so young, I wouldn't worry.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:22 am
Just one question, what is her nutrition like?
One of the symptoms of malnutrition is missed/no period.
Just make sure your DD is not developing an eating disorder. Otherwise, I don't know much about teenagers, my DD is only four and a half.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:55 am
Until I saw chanchy123's post I was surprised that so many people posted about PCOS and no one mentioned eating disorders. Anorexia and other disorders are often detected by a missed period.

However not to worry if her eating habits are normal...did she go to camp over the summer? Travel and/or a change of location can trigger hormonal changes that result in a missed period. I've heard of many young girls who, for example, go overseas to seminary and don't get their period for months...and eventually their cycles return to normal.

shlishka

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:50 am
She has no other symptoms, and yes, she was away for the summer.
Thanks everyone for your reassuring replies.
Kesvia V'chasima Tova to all!

skcomputer

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:23 am
Please don't be afraid to consult with a doctor - either gynocologist or endocrinologist. Find someone who regularly works with young teens and who understands their sensitivities. We got our referrals from our pediatrician. A lot can be determined by blood work and medical history.

My 20 year old daughter is going through this now. We took her to a gyn who did a progesterone challenge test and some blood tests - all were normal and she didn't think it was a big deal. Then we went to a pediatric endocrinologist. She did more blood work and ruled out everything except for diet (she's on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for gastro problems) and had us go back to visit the nutritionist. She also told us we needed to wait 3 months if we made a diet change. The nutritionist said that the problem was far too little fat in her diet. She was not underweight, but didn't have the right nutritional balance. After 3 months (to the day!) of the proper ratio of fat, it came back (not regular yet, but it did come back).

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:27 am
Chayalle wrote:
Anorexia and other disorders are often detected by a missed period.

yup - anorexia, drugs, drinking, etc all can have adverse effects on the body and it's functionality ...

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:42 pm
sequoia wrote:
I didn't get my period in the summer as a young teen. But I had no idea it was so widespread!

Me too! I had no idea it was so common. I never had my period in the summer as a teen.
I also never had my period when I traveled abroad.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:03 pm
Hmmm It might be nothing. 14 is very young and most teens don't become regular for years.

That being said, keep an eye on it. I got my period when I was 12, and was regular for 6 months by the time I was 14 and then they started dissapearing until they dissapeared all together when I was 16. It turned out I had PCOS and that's how we found out. But in my case the dissapearing periods wee also accompanied by weight gain. (not sure which came first though... sorta like the chicken and the egg)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics