Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Coffee has terrible, terrible taste and odor!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 11:16 am
The last few years we have been getting the Pesach’dike instant coffee but I never liked it, and when our chometzike hot water urn died and the Pesach one became chometz, I got us a coffee machine at a much cheaper price, and I got us a box of Gevalia ground decaf and put it away for Pesach.

Well – the new coffee machine and filters are fine, but the coffee just smells and tastes so bad, I sent it back o the company (today), and got a tiny decaf (instant) to tide us over. I figure I’ll just run water through the coffee maker and use that, since I don’t think I’m leaving a fire on the stove for yomtov, just the oven on a timer.

Has anyone else had this experience?

cindy324

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 6:59 pm
I get Gevalia shipped to me on a regular basis, love their coffee. Are you sure you used the right ratio of coffee to water?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 7:07 pm
Yes, I tried it several times; it's not the first time I've used their coffee; just the first disaster!

chen

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 11:50 am
maybe it's not fresh. One year I got the bright idea of putting away an unopened jar of pesachdik coffee for the following year. Next year it tasted and smelled exactly like dust.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 12:36 pm
It was def. fresh; it was vacuum sealed.

chen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 10:55 am
Did you use the machine to brew coffee without running it with just water or water-and-vinegar first? Residue from the manufacturing process can contaminate your first batch if you don't do a blank run. (Also a good idea every now and then for maintenance.) For that matter, any utensil that comes into direct contact with food should be thoroughly washed before first use.

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:11 am
I think it smells great. I think people just htink it stinks when they're pregnant.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:59 am
It was takeh a new machine, but by chol hamoed, it had been run a few times and should have been okay by then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen