Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Yom Kippur: Fasting While Nursing
1  2  Next

justmarried

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:45 pm
I'm really nervous about fasting on Yom Kippur. I have a 3 month old baby and he nurses very often. Even though I can go most of the day without drinking as soon as I start nursing I get really thirsty.

Any tips & ideas on how to manage the fast and the day in general with an infant?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:51 pm
I lay in a supply of pumped milk before yk. I find that my supply isn't really up to par when I'm fasting. I also get dehydrated very easily. I kind of alternate feedings. I try to lay in a supply for the whole day just in case I really don't have enough. It has happened.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:52 pm
Also a nervous new mom here (three week old). Although I get thirsty, I usually feel extremely hungry as well,as if nothing I eat will fill me up. We'll see.

goodness

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:54 pm
The only thing I can tell you is, 'start drinking water NOW", If you drink and drink from now till YK. you will see that you wont b thirsty when you nurse. your body will have enough water stored to use when you dont drink.
B/f Tisha B'av I was so nervous that I wont have enough for my bby (he was about 3 months). but about a week b/f I drank and drank (and ran to the bathroom all day) I had enough, bby was B"H very satisfied and then after TB I drank also alot . So b"h all went well.
Try it you'll see it helps!! Hatzlocha!!

goodness

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:56 pm
Forgot to say, he wouldnt drink from a bottle. Still now, at 6 mo he also doesnt wanna drink from a bottle. so pumping wouldnt help. But I'm starting with my water now.....

mo5

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:02 pm
Even if he won't take a bottle, it's worth having a couple of bottles of expressed milk in the freezer. If he's really hungry and someone else offers it, he just might take it.
I find that the end of the fast is the worst, and it takes some time after the fast to get back to normal.

campmommy

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:12 pm
Expressed milk is great to have on hand, it can be fed in a cup (yes, even to a newborn!), dropper, syringe - doesn't have to be a bottle. Also, drink GRAPE JUICE. Grape sugar does amazing things, and it can really help you keep up your energy during the fast. Start 2 or 3 days before - up to a week (that's today!) and drink tons. You'll be amazed. Have an easy Taanis.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:19 pm
Have someone ELSE give a bottle late afternoon. If the baby knows it's the mother, chances are he or she won't take it.

supermama2

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:25 pm
goodness wrote:
Forgot to say, he wouldnt drink from a bottle. Still now, at 6 mo he also doesnt wanna drink from a bottle. so pumping wouldnt help. But I'm starting with my water now.....

thanks for your post..my now 10 wk old nurses often and I will start increasing the water intake NOW. DD doesn't take a bottle either.

goodness

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Have someone ELSE give a bottle late afternoon. If the baby knows it's the mother, chances are he or she won't take it.

Been there done that. I remember my husband sitting on the couch with a screaming bby in 1 hand and a bottle with expressed milk in other hand........nudah! You would B surprised how stubborn a 3 month old can b!

supermama2

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:07 pm
goodness wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Been there done that. I remember my husband sitting on the couch with a screaming bby in 1 hand and a bottle with expressed milk in other hand........nudah! You would B surprised how stubborn a 3 month old can b!

Rolling Laughter I hear you!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:07 pm
my son has had a bottle maybe three times since he was born. he will take it if someone else gives it to him. he will definitely not take it from me.

Edited to add- my son is 11 months old. I very rarely leave him & he drinks from the tap exclusively. It can still work. You just need a volunteer.

Last edited by chaylizi on Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

hipstamom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:10 pm
My son didn't take a bottle until he was two months old. Someone else had to give it to him. My rav allowed me to eat and drink because he was only a month old and my milk supply was low.

The other thing I can suggest is start drinking tons of water; skip cola, coffee, tea; and take fenugreek (to increase your supply)

I would still ask your rav; he may give you a shaila. Your rebbetzin may also offer more suggestions.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:34 pm
Buy PERFORMANCE from SHAKLEE and drink from 3 days before YK. It's GUARANTEED!!! I sold about 10 of this in the country before tisha b'av and the mommies said that they had never fasted so well before.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:37 pm
The week before the fast start drinking a lot of water every day. Someone said powerade really helped her. Give a little formula if needed.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:48 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Buy PERFORMANCE from SHAKLEE and drink from 3 days before YK. It's GUARANTEED!!! I sold about 10 of this in the country before tisha b'av and the mommies said that they had never fasted so well before.

are there any stores in Brooklyn (Flatbush /Boro Park) where you can buy Shaklee products?

hipstamom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:52 pm
I have to agree with MamaBear with the Shaklee performance. Just go to shaklee.com and search via your zip code. I know there are quite a few frum distributors in the NYC area!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:15 am
Take 7 sips of water after you've finished your seuda, before the fast. It does wonders.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:17 am
hipstamom wrote:
I have to agree with MamaBear with the Shaklee performance. Just go to shaklee.com and search via your zip code. I know there are quite a few frum distributors in the NYC area!

How much do these run? Can I take them while pregnant?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:20 am
yes it's safe while pregnant., it's $15.00 a can and it's enough for more than 1 person (or if you want to save it for another taanis)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics