Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Having diarea and sending to daycare
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 10:14 am
would you send your child to daycare if they had diarea and a bad nappy rash?

my daughter has a bad rash and diarea but besides for that she is in good spirits and is ok.

do you think that it is ok for me to send her to daycare? or it would not be very nice to the other children there (not that I think this is contagious)?

sim

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:15 am
Noooooo! The rash is no biggie -- it's just a result of the soft, frequent, acidic bowel movements. However, she obviously has a gastric complaint which is always very contagious, and if you send her it will go around the group like lightning. Keep her home until she is having two or fewer firmer BMs a day.

morahaviva

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:35 am
I second the NOOOOOOO!! Dont send her - 1- she may have something contagious and can pass it on to others. 2-She may have lower immunity due to the diarrea and may catch something totally unrelated, and 3- TOTALLY NOT FAIR TO THE TEACHER to have to keep changing a messy diaper! Refuah shelaimah

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:39 am
No. Please. As a former daycare/play group worker, and a mother of children in daycare, we all appreciate it when those with BMs like that stay home, bc basically, it is highly likely to spread to the other children there, (and then their siblings elsewhere, etc etc etc) no matter how well you try to clean things, etc.

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:44 am
Diarrhea is one of the things on our printed list that's against the rules (Ministry of Health) to send to daycare. I actually take it more seriously than "fever" because my kids NEVER get diarrhea; if they do I know they really are sick.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:47 am
Children catch (and pass on) stuff at the daycare. It's well known. Immunity needs to be done, be it daycare or kindergarten or primary school it will have to happen. Dirty diapers are yucky but that's part of being a daycare lady. It's not an easy task to raise children.

I say a kid with diarrhea but eats and seems "ok" can go. Not that most people have a choice (at least for a diarrhea) to stay home from work. My dd has been contaminated many times and probably has contaminated others too. I always took it as a fact of life. Maybe adults with diarrhea should stay home from work, after all they pass on stuff too!

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:51 am
Ruchel wrote:
Children catch (and pass on) stuff at the daycare. It's well known. Immunity needs to be done, be it daycare or kindergarten or primary school it will have to happen. Dirty diapers are yucky but that's part of being a daycare lady. It's not an easy task to raise children.

I say a kid with diarrhea but eats and seems "ok" can go. Not that most people have a choice (at least for a diarrhea) to stay home from work. My dd has been contaminated many times and probably has contaminated others too. I always took it as a fact of life. Maybe adults with diarrhea should stay home from work, after all they pass on stuff too!

I stand corrected.

OP, you can send to Ruchel's daycare.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:54 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not fair to the child the teachers or the other kids.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:56 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:

I stand corrected.

OP, you can send to Ruchel's daycare.

Yes, you can send to where my child goes, a bubbe type lady who keeps mostly her grandchildren and nephews. Yes, even when sick (fever diarrhea what you want, although personally if the fever doesn't go down I keep home).

The fancy shmancy public daycare she used to go (oh how I hated that place and its non jewish mentality) didn't accept when the child had too much diarrhea. It was very stressing because if your child was a bit sick you didn't even know what you would be able to do the following day(s).

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:26 pm
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy G----------------------------d

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:32 pm
I also agree no!! Diahrrea is easily spread - even when we had it at home as kids, age 10 plus, my father used to wash down the toilet seat several times a day, and that was not with little kids! You must clean scrupulously, and it's not fair to make the teacher worry about or take care of it.
As the mother of a 3 year old who catches everything going, I'm asking you not to send. I know he needs to build his immunity, but NOT like this! There is a reason why the official health guidelines mandate keeping children home for 24 hours after diahrrea or fever.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:37 pm
Tamiri very mature and convincing

Quote:
when we had it at home as kids, age 10 plus, my father used to wash down the toilet seat several times a day

First time I hear of something like this. Even my (very into clean) parents never thought of that.

Quote:

As the mother of a 3 year old who catches everything going, I'm asking you not to send.

All parents catch stuff. One of the worst sicknesses I caught was through Mati too. Well, I survived and it's no one's fault. She caught it from a cousin at a simche, not even daycare.

Quote:

There is a reason why the official health guidelines mandate keeping children home for 24 hours after diahrrea or fever.

Never heard of that at all. I doubt it's the case here of the fancy place would have enforced it.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:40 pm
please dont. have rachmanus on the teacher and the other children, please!

sped

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:49 pm
In Israel the only things a child can be sent home from daycare for are high fever and diahrrea. Rest assured that if it's not allowed here it's with reason.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:54 pm
Yeah, that diarrhea thing isn't only American :lol: . They allow lice here in Israel but not diarrhea, so it must be pretty serious.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:56 pm
I am the OP. I just now realized that I sent the post anonymously...oops embarrassed I did not mean to.

well, BH my daughter is feeling MUCH better but is still not 100%. I have been changing her diaper almost every 20 - 30 minutes and giving her baths throughout the day. as 99% of you said, it would not be fair and all of the no's, that is what I was thinking, I just wanted to hear what people thought.

anyway, my daughter is in this mishpachton two days a week and tommorow I am home anyway, so BH it wont effect my studying anyway.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:57 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Tamiri very mature and convincing

Quote:
when we had it at home as kids, age 10 plus, my father used to wash down the toilet seat several times a day

First time I hear of something like this. Even my (very into clean) parents never thought of that.

With 8 kids in the house, when others start catching, you gotta wonder why, and take action...

Quote:

As the mother of a 3 year old who catches everything going, I'm asking you not to send.

All parents catch stuff. One of the worst sicknesses I caught was through Mati too. Well, I survived and it's no one's fault. She caught it from a cousin at a simche, not even daycare.

No, I don't catch everything going, my son does! He does not need to catch this as well...

Quote:

There is a reason why the official health guidelines mandate keeping children home for 24 hours after diahrrea or fever.

Never heard of that at all. I doubt it's the case here of the fancy place would have enforced it.

In England there is a body called Ofsted (Office for Standards of Education, I think) which legislates all schools, day cares, camps, childrens schemes, etc and has set this as one of the rules.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 12:57 pm
Oh yeah every half hour is a lot

drumjj

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:00 pm
I have to agree I hate it when ppl send sick kids to school and contaminate all the other kids in the nursery its irresponsible and unfair. I would never send a kid to nursery or school with diahorria

overthehill

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Excuse me for being so passionate about this, but its because of this kind of attitude that my DD got shigella. Adults dont leak when they have diarrhea. And forgive my bluntness, nor do they stick their hands into their diapers and/or underwear, and give their fellow co-workers a hearty "sholom aleichem" with their hand that just touch their "diaper area". My kids dont need to have their immunity be "done" so that other parents can irresponsibly send their ill children to school. I dont care how OK the child is. Kids with 102 on Motrin are OK too. Dont be a Tzadik on someone elses chesbon. Ask any Pediatrician. Kids with diarrhea belong at home. Period.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics