Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Having diarea and sending to daycare
Previous  1  2  3  Next

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 10:43 am
I do wonder if we are talking about the same thing Ruchel. This isn't stools are a bit soft, not to get graphic, but loose and frequent. Shigella is one of a number of disease that gets transferred to the other children. I am a bit surprised France allow kids to come with diarrhea.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 10:44 am
Yes, I used to ask my ped every time dd had diarrhea. Now I know what to do, what to give, and that if she's accepted she can go to daycare.

If you want I can also ask my neighbour who worked in a daycare and will now have her own.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 10:52 am
I would like to know. I do wonder if we are talking about the same thing. Perhaps the word in French doesn't mean quite the same thing as it does in English. I would be interested in hearing what your friend says.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 10:55 am
Ah, the dilemmas of the working mom. I know them all too well. I used to have a small daycare in my house. I had mothers who sent their kids with a fever, drugged with tylenol to mask it and lie to me and tell me that their kid is fine. Then the kid would be feverish, crying and sluggish the whole day with me while I had to deal with the whole group. Or the kid who came in with sores all over her body and whose mom handed me some cortizone cream and told me ,"oh its just a rash".
In a way I dont blame them, they need to work and dont know what to do with the kid. But to me, it is so mean to their children who suffer at daycare while sick and the other kids in the daycare who pick up the nasty bugs. But at the end of the day, I told the mother I would terminate their kid from daycare if she brings them sick again.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:01 am
Of course fever you have to know if it's just a cold or something more serious... rash also can be rash or something serious... same for diarrhea

overthehill

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:03 am
But at the end of the day, I told the mother I would terminate their kid from daycare if she brings them sick again.[/quote]

Good for you amother. You are a responsible caring individual who is dedicated to doing the RIGHT think.

Ruchel, no Ped. worth his weight will tell you its OK to send a kid anywhere w/ diarrhea. Unless the standards of medical care where you live are from a 3rd world country. And the Pediatrician really did not go to medical school.
I am not tech saavy or I would give you the links to every medical website for kids and adults that backs me up. (Frankly, I think you need a new pediatrician- God knows what other "medical" advice he is dispensing)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:04 am
I've had a good number of peds, between being picky and moving. Not one told me diarrhea = no daycare.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
Of course fever you have to know if it's just a cold or something more serious... rash also can be rash or something serious... same for diarrhea

Yes and therefore you think its ok to send a kid to school under any of the above conditions? Fever is Fever.
Diarrhea is diarrhea.
Kids stay out of school when they have those.
That is what is right.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:06 am
Ruchel wrote:
I've had a good number of peds, between being picky and moving. Not one told me diarrhea = no daycare.

Really? They should have their medical licenses revoked!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Yes and therefore you think its ok to send a kid to school under any of the above conditions? Fever is Fever.
Diarrhea is diarrhea.
Kids stay out of school when they have those.
That is what is right.

Fever can be just one time and cured quick (or even "on the fringe"), or lasting and/or very clearly a strong one. It can be a cold or c'v something serious.

Diarrhea can be too much fruit, a small bug, or c'v something very serious.

You have your idea, my ped has is (and well as the schools).

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:09 am
Lechatchila, diarrhea is diarrhea and a child should not be in school/daycare.

I have been in one rare situation where the child had some intolerances/allergies and in that specific case, the dr. had ruled out illness--basically by diganosing the intolerance--and so for that one specific child, diarrhea might not be indicative of illness. Still, when we were having epidemics, we would request the mother have the child evaluated to make sure she's not sick. (since it was going around)

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:33 am
I think if I sent DD to preschool with either a fever or diarrhea, they would take her to the nurse's office and keep her there until I picked her up. Rules are rules.

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 11:53 am
There are cutoffs too. When the daycare calls me about a fever I ask how high, where was it measured? If they tell me diarrhea I ask how many in how long? One loose stool is not diarrhea. Three loose stools in under an hour is.

Oh, and if I know that my son ate 2 bananas, 3 apples, grapes, and the equivalent of 4 dried apricots yesterday, then I'll mention that to the daycare ahead of time!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:56 pm
Fever is not an illness- it is a symptom of something else. That is why it is such a problem Diarrhea leaks and spreads and the care providers need to be like surgical meticulous about hand washing to not be spreading from child to child. I think it is selfish to send your kids out with any sickness. I work, etc. too- I know it is hard. DH and I have both had to lose pay from working in order to do the right thing and not send our kids. It's easy to want to trust your dr. when they tell you what you want to hear, like send to daycare or it's not big deal- but there are some thing you just need to know about as a parent, have a sense about- do it for your child and for the other families. We're different from e/o else for a reason- b/c as Jewish mothers we have caring and compassion- show it to everyone and make the right choice.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 8:58 pm
One loose stool does not diarrhea make. But more than one loose stool in a day is indicative of something.
A child should not be brought to school with a fever, or sneezing, coughing, diarrhea, etc, unless allergy related, especially young children. They sneeze/cough onto the tables, onto their hands, onto the toys. These are tables where they eat food. I know, because I've wiped the tables off when I've seen it.

And I don't care what you've taught your child at home.

It is not fair to bring a child to school sick. It is not fair to the child, to the other children in the school, to the parents of the children, the siblings of the children, the teachers and their families.

If you must work, you must also have a back-up plan, regularly checked into to make certain things are the same.

I think schools should form strict rules, and if the parent can't pick the child up, have an isolation room from which the parent is required to come and get the child and take the child home. The child should not be put on the bus or allowed to walk home alone.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 9:25 pm
Years ago worked in day care in Israel - I too got shigella from a kid whose mother thought that it was no biggie to send your child with diarrhea. I also got hepatitis A via my son who got it in gan from a kid whose mother thought that he wasn't sick enough to keep home. I was sick for over a month. It's a big, big no-no. Some other "nasties" that cause diarrhea are rotovirus and c. diff. Would you like to take responsibility for someone getting one of those?

Last edited by chavamom on Wed, Sep 23 2009, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 9:26 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Yes, I used to ask my ped every time dd had diarrhea. Now I know what to do, what to give, and that if she's accepted she can go to daycare.

If you want I can also ask my neighbour who worked in a daycare and will now have her own.

Ruchel, unless he's doing stool cultures and she has a bacterial illness, there is nothing you can give that will make your dd not contagious. Most are viral and that doesn't mean they are not possibly serious.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:39 am
I don't know I somewhat agree with Ruchel. My son has diarrhea for 3 weeks now, some days only once a day and some 4 times a day, he feels fine, no fever eats as usual. After 2 weeks my ped sent me for all kinds of stool tests and they all came back negative. She said there is such a thing as toddler diarrhea (look for it in babycenter.com) that toddlers get diarrhea for no apparent reason...

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:48 am
But you can't just assume that is what it is and expose your contagious kid to others. It's rude and it can be dangerous (depending on what they have).

ABC

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:49 am
what about how the child feels in all this? if we're talking here about real diarrhoea, then I know how awful I feel when I've got it. now put me in a room with a bunch of noisy kids and someone to look after me who is not my mom and see how I feel!
I know it's so hard for women with jobs, but these poor kids
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics