Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Introducing Formula
1  2  Next

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:14 am
My baby is almost a month old and up until this time has been fully nursed. I wanted to start introducing bottles and formula since I am planning to go back to work soon and hate pumping milk. Since I am allergic to milk, I started her on Isomil soy formula. My dh gave her a 60cc bottle last night which she drank down in about 3 min. BIG MISTAKE! She was up screaming and spitting up until 1 am. Should I try a different formula (I live in Israel)? Should I wait until she is bigger? Was the nipple on the bottle too big (I used an Avent bottle with a #1 nipple - maybe the milk came out too fast?)? If anyone has experience with this or ideas to try, I would appreciate it.

cubbie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:30 am
I've never had great experience with avent bottles, I find even the #1 nipple too fast.
Also with bottle feeding, unlike nursing, your baby is not controlling the flow so it's important especially when they're very young to make sure that your baby quite upright, that way they don't take in the milk to fast and stop ever 30cc to burp.

smilethere

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:33 am
I found the tommee tippee bottles fantastic - my babies did not sense a difference between the nipple, and bottle teat!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:33 am
also pull the nipple down if you see the baby is gulping more than a few seconds without taking a breath. after a few breaths you can put it back up to drink

desertrose

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 5:39 am
smilethere wrote:
I found the tommee tippee bottles fantastic - my babies did not sense a difference between the nipple, and bottle teat!

I second this suggestion. My dc is 4 mnths old and refused to take b-free or avent bottles. Tommee tippee is a miracle bottle. Dc took to it in an instant. Maybe consult a pediatrician for which formula to give. We were recommended Pregestimil formula which is expensive and no hechsher....but didnt try it out.
Good luck!!

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:14 am
Do you know if tommee tippee bottles are sold in Israel?

Seraph

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:21 am
mommyofsix wrote:
they are. theyre sold in shilav for 65 freakin shekel a peice. well, at least 2 years ago. bet they cost even more now...

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:54 am
Seraph wrote:
mommyofsix wrote:
they are. theyre sold in shilav for 65 freakin shekel a peice. well, at least 2 years ago. bet they cost even more now...

hmmmm . . . I wonder if I could use maiser money (tzedakah for the baby???) Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 9:04 am
You should also make sure the bottle is held horizontally so that the milk doesn't drip out but that the baby has to suck it out.

desertrose

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:53 am
mommyofsix wrote:
Seraph wrote:
mommyofsix wrote:

hmmmm . . . I wonder if I could use maiser money (tzedakah for the baby???) Wink

I bought mine for 50 shekels at Shilav....if DC feels at home with it after all the bottles we tried, its worth every penny!

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:17 pm
I finally bought the tommee tippee bottle and I followed everyone's advice and she still managed to drink 60cc in less than 5 min and now she is screaming in pain. Any other ideas?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:23 pm
You made sure the milk can't drip out when you held it horizontally? That it was not sloped down at all?

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:51 pm
it definitely was not dripping

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 3:00 pm
wait, I just tried again with the remaining formula and when I hold it upside down, it drips - is it not suppose to? I don't know what you mean about it being not sloped down at all.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:04 pm
Right, the milk drips out and the baby gulps it down. If you hold it horizontally so it's parallel with the floor, it should NOT drip out. Have the feeder hold it like this when feeding your daughter, and your baby will have to suck it out and not just swallow, and might take less per feeding.

shoy18

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:15 pm
Im no expert but when my kids were that small I made sure to burp them after every ounce they drank, are you burping enough?

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:37 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right, the milk drips out and the baby gulps it down. If you hold it horizontally so it's parallel with the floor, it should NOT drip out. Have the feeder hold it like this when feeding your daughter, and your baby will have to suck it out and not just swallow, and might take less per feeding.

But won't she swallow more air that way?

I burped her 3 times during her 60 ounce meal.

desertrose

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:41 pm
Maybe its the formula..... Rolling Eyes

mommyofnineka

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:12 pm
that is what I am trying to determine . . . Rolling Eyes

desertrose

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:40 pm
Try a different formula like I suggested or ask the pediatrician for a prescription for the more sensitive tummy formulas, that way it will cost less - they are otherwise very very expensive.
She is drinking fast though....try slowing her down? I am no expert, just my two cents on the matter. I know how you feel because I am more or less in the same postion right now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics