Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Duck eggs, quails eggs, etc

katb

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 6:51 am
So my understanding was that although technically any egg from a kosher bird is kosher, we cannot buy anything but chicken eggs as it is too diificult to identify what bird it came from and then it could be non-kosher.

However I was just browsing the menu of a certain kosher restaurant and it has quails eggs there. Does anyone know the halacha? I saw in the supermarket the other day a packet of duck eggs, and if they are kosher I would love to give them a try!!

I know with milk, the ruling is that these days the government essentially acts as the "shomer" of the milk, would the same be true here?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 7:24 am
My understanding is, LBD does not allow quails eggs because it has not ascertained which types of quails are kosher. Sephardim (at least some Moroccan and Tunisian authorities we know) have a tradition of identifying kosher quails (whose eggs have unique mottled shells).

http://www.ou.org/pdf/daf/5765/Daf%2013-7.pdf

wouldn't it be great if we can finally certify phesants or partridges along that line?

katb

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 7:29 am
yes it would be great. so many meats I would love to try and we just cant have them even though technically kosher!!

louche

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:48 am
Dunno about duck eggs, but my kibbutz raised turkeys and the only kind of eggs we ever had was turkey eggs! I forgot the exact conversion for recipes, but one turkey egg was equal to two or three chicken eggs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen