Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What's the best temp to bake challahs?

wanderer

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:47 pm
I usually bake my challahs at 350 for about 45 min to an hour. I want to experiment with different temperatures and times.

What do you do?

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:16 pm
350 for half an hour.

3Qts

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:43 pm
425 for first 20 minutes, 350 next 1/2 hour
I put the challahs in a cold oven so its really not baking at 425 for 20 minutes

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:43 pm
350 in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, and I switch the racks after 12 minutes. (I usually bake 2 pans, and put one on the lower, one on the upper, then switch them halfway.)

wanderer

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:46 pm
Is the challah fully baked after only 30 min, or do you rewarm it and bake again before eating?

How is it that some people bake it for only half hour and others for twice that? Is it fluffier if it's baked less or more?

And is it better to put them in a preheated oven or a cold one?

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:25 pm
My challas are fully baked after 25 minutes. I use a bread machine for the first part until they are shaped. My guess is it may depend part on how many risings, and how big the challa is.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:27 pm
350 & I go by the color on top. Then, I lift it out of the pan to check the underneath is slightly brown.

wanderer

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:27 pm
imasinger wrote:
My challas are fully baked after 25 minutes. I use a bread machine for the first part until they are shaped. My guess is it may depend part on how many risings, and how big the challa is.

My challahs rise 3 times, first for 15 min in the machine, then 45 min - 1 hour covered, and then another 45 - 1 hour after braiding.

I make small ones, rather than big ones, and about 7 or 8 of them.

wanderer

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:39 pm
shopaholic wrote:
350 & I go by the color on top. Then, I lift it out of the pan to check the underneath is slightly brown.

Do you preheat your oven? Approx how long does that come out to?

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:41 pm
maybe I just make small challas. (I fit 2 on a large tray) But if they stay in for even 35 minutes they are burnt. It also depends on the oven. Maybe your oven is broken if it takes an hour to bake a normal sized challa? how long does your oven take to bake chicken?

My milchig oven is broken right now and takes about an hour to bake challa in it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads