Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If someone says...

supermama2

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 12:00 pm
"He/She is a "whole person". What does this mean exactly?..I'm not used to this phrase to describe someone especially when it is used to describe a baby.. please enlighten..I'm sure it's interesting Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 12:02 pm
I think babies are "whole people" but why don't you ask her/him and enlighten us Idea

gz

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 12:04 pm
removed

Last edited by gz on Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total

louche

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 1:01 pm
well, with babies, we used to say they're "real people". I've forgotten what age this was, but it meant that the tot has an individual personality recognizable to people other than the one who incubated them, looks people in the eye, interacts consistently with others, and does more than eat, sleep, and leak. Prior to that they are in what we call the "blob" stage, in which they are not materially different (to anyone except possibly their mother) from all the other babies in the nursery.

Before some sensitive newly-delivered mother gets all offended on behalf of her blob, I mean heir to the kingdom, and shoots off an indignant "How dare you make fun of people's babies, you wouldn't talk that way if you had any of your own," let me make it clear that I have indeed B"H borne several blobs and seen them progress to real people. Yes, we did refer to them as "blobs" when they were at that stage. We're a very irreverent family at times.

supermama2

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 1:30 pm
louche wrote:
well, with babies, we used to say they're "real people". I've forgotten what age this was, but it meant that the tot has an individual personality recognizable to people other than the one who incubated them, looks people in the eye, interacts consistently with others, and does more than eat, sleep, and leak. Prior to that they are in what we call the "blob" stage, in which they are not materially different (to anyone except possibly their mother) from all the other babies in the nursery.

Before some sensitive newly-delivered mother gets all offended on behalf of her blob, I mean heir to the kingdom, and shoots off an indignant "How dare you make fun of people's babies, you wouldn't talk that way if you had any of your own," let me make it clear that I have indeed B"H borne several blobs and seen them progress to real people. Yes, we did refer to them as "blobs" when they were at that stage. We're a very irreverent family at times.

lol thanks, I think you are on the mark with your post. I'll have to ask her exactly what she means sometime and maybe I'll post here but I think I have my answer now Smile

Tova

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 3:25 pm
[louche, and if a baby does not grow and develop as normal is he/she still a "blob?" And I disagree with you - minutes-old, hours-old babies have tons of chein, personality, senses, and reflexes. Far from being indistinguishable in the nursery, I can tell which babies are the 1-day olders and which are 2-days old. Tons of maturity happens in that time period.]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics